A call to Blizzard for refunds to those who've been banned for toxic chat

What are you even talking about?

Digital good purchases are always auto default wins in any dispute for the consumer. That is why most digital products always have long refund windows. The video game big publisher microtransaction industry is the only place where company’s don’t do this because they try to take advantage of their customers who have no critical thinking skills and don’t know any better.

Also, i posted this in another thread but it fits perfectly with some of the responses i’m getting in this thread as well:

Okay there’s something I’ve noticed especially in the online community and regarding both publishers and developers of games that is slowly but surely also extended towards other corporations and business. For some odd reason a lot of people defend even the most blatant predatory capitalism, they defend corporations outright cheating their customers, screwing them out of money wherever possible, blatantly lying to their customers face and mistreating them.

A lot of these people often sound more like they’re actual employees of these corporations than customers, they cite the “need to make profits”, the need to keep shareholders happy, to try and optimize earnings and excuse even the most sleazy business practices often acting as an extension of official corporation spokespeople and PR the corporations do not even have to pay.

Personally I must say this absolutely baffles me, these people gain absolutely nothing out of doing so, in fact they often harm themselves by supporting this. Just how did this come about, how someone get these people to actually act in such a way that is detrimental to themselves and why for crying out loud is it happening?

Actually, the Eula being updated AFTER a purchase has been completed is dishonest and runs on the edge of being illegal.

2 Likes

Here’s a question: Why is it that once something is digital do you think the basic rules of commerce and interaction suddenly change?

I’m holding Blizzard to the exact same standard I hold any company to. OP agreed to the behavioral rules before he started. Years past and now that he broke those rules he wants a retroactive refund?
Let’s say it was a gym he got kicked out of, do you think he should get back everything he ever paid because he’s not allowed to come back? Heck, should he even get a partial refund for the time on the current membership period?
Let’s say he’s at a bar, gets hammered, and gets himself kicked out by the bouncer. Should he get a refund for the drink he left behind? What about the ones he already drank?
Let’s say they’ve got a Netflix account and somehow got themselves banned. Should they be refunded all the movies they rented in the past?

It’s probably the most basic rule of functioning in a society. If you want to use someone’s service, you follow their rules. Advocating fraud (The term ‘Good faith’ is kind of important) because he broke those rules many times is inherently dishonest.
Would you really advise him to dispute a charge on, say, a hamburger he decided he didn’t really like that much a month later?

Frankly, I see the same thing on every single thread whining about being silenced or banned. God only knows how those people handle being in the real world. They act as is this is the only place ever that would remove and ban someone for being a raging, disruptive, jerk. Rather than that being, you know, the norm.

You really hate their business practices? You really want them to stop? All whining on a forum and trying to defraud them will do is hurt yourself.
The real solution? Don’t give them money in the first place.
Just like in real life.
It’s even easier for this game, all you have to pay for are worthless cosmetics. And if you are going to drop 100$ to make your avatar all pretty and sparkly despite knowing the company’s policies that you hate so very much? Well, that’s all on you. It’s not like they are hiding anything or pretending it’s anything other than what it is. Buyer’s remorse is not a good basic for declaring predatory business practices.

6 Likes

You are operating under the idea that the automated chat penalty system is working flawlessly. That Blizzard’s implementation of it is completely correct and there’s no room for error.

In an attempt to avoid a debate about that very topic (since there have been countless posts on the topic already) i’ve tried turning the other cheek and not going down that road.

This topic is about being reimbursed/refunded when blocked out of content that I paid for due to an automated/flawed/arbitrary penalty system. There are things like consumer rights/protection/etc.

In order to avoid filing a dispute, I think the company should do the right thing due to the controversial nature of the penalty system (which many would agree isn’t working correctly and is susceptible to abuse).

Until that gets worked out, Blizzard should not be permanently banning people from content they paid for without some sort of refund.

Are you apart of the Blizzard legal team or work for their PR? As a fellow customer you would think your default position would be to be critical of the company and at least give a fellow customer the benefit of the doubt. Our interests are on the same side of the fence.

Perma banned means you’ve been consistently nasty to other players. Can we, the regular players get a refund from you for your toxicity ?

4 Likes

I don’t know about the system working flawlessly but I’d be willing to bet a tidy sum it worked in your case.

2 Likes

This entire post is so good I’d clap this any day of the week.

@OP this is why you don’t really bring these things to the forums because quite frankly you got completely rekt and there’s no other way to put it. It honestly baffles me that you even try to argue it at this point.

Read the post again if you don’t understand it. It has nothing to do with you being wrongfully done by a “shrouded” system. In order to get suspended, permanently banned you have to break the rules consistently.
Anyone and anything makes mistakes and this is why the system have very soft early punishments (one day).
The first time I was banned was in LoL from the leaverbuster. What happened? One off occasion of Bugsplat (Riot’s version of WoWerror) and when I tried to reconnect it would occur again, causing the system to detect it as me leaving the game all the time while in reality I tried to reconnect. So I got a wrongful 24 hour ban. Is it the end of the world? No, because I’m not consistently harassing my teammates so I just resumed playing the next day.

As a final note Mr Dagordae doesn’t need to work at Blizzard or their PR to be able to see when someone twists the narrative to suit their version. All we know for a fact is that you have violated the ToS but there’s nothing pointing to Blizzard having wronged you because you’ve not provided any evidence.
Which means “our” interests aren’t the same. You just don’t want to abide by the rules everyone has already agreed to.

2 Likes

Funny but wouldn’t there be an argument to be made that if you behaved on-line in a manner that you do in the live world you would not be in this position in the first place.

Do you think that if you said or did the things you did online in the real world how long would it be before you found the wrong person ? Seriously just treat people on-line like you do in day to day life and you don’t have to worry about this “I got banned” crap because you would never treat real people the way you do online.

chargeback is valid though if blizzard doesnt refund you. You won’t lose. If your uncomfortable with a chargeback you can go to BBB and other consumer protection groups and file official complaints requesting a refund

Lol

Welcome to the real world pal

user agreements aren’t a bulwark from consumer responsibility.

Yes but it is unlikely the part about being banned for making the game a worse experience for everyone you play with was not part of the additions. It seems very unlikely that the “we can ban you for being a jerk” clause was not part of the initial EULA

at the least refund it in terms of battle.net currency

Ya’ll are pathetic. It’s no easy feat being banned for toxic chat unless you’re among the worst of the worst offenders. Why do you think you deserve anything past your ban?

As it were, I’m sure it’s expressed in their ToS that they’re under no obligation to refund anything and have the right to suspend your account for any reason at any time.

Maybe you should learn from your mistakes and start behaving like adults.

1 Like

That’s not true. Active players especially players who mostly play ranked get banned easily. Your probably a quick match casual. You can flame a lot but you don’t play enough to meet a threshold . A lot of trolls have figured out that they can bounce to different accounts through the day to avoid bans

1. The silence system is fine. It’s not perfect- because no online system can be- but it works as intended. The only reason it seems like a problem is because there’s a small group of very loud and aggressive people complaining about it (which is half the reason they’re silenced in the first place). Have you ever seen someone make a post saying “Thanks for silencing me, I really deserved it. I was wrong and this has really helped me fix my attitude.”? Instead, all you see is “it’s not my fault everyone else sucked”, or “I was only banned because of false reports from losers”.

2. Others in this thread have already pointed out numerous examples of why it’s nonsense to treat HotS differently just because it’s online. If you get kicked out or banned from something in real life, you have no expectation of any refund.

3. Doing the whole chargeback thing is in fact tantamount to committing Fraud, because you are essentially forcing a third party to refund you money under false pretenses. HotS is 100% free to play; there is nothing you have to pay for in order to play the actual game. You buying skins and other cosmetics is basically giving them a tip to support the game you like. Them banning you doesn’t prevent you from playing the game (you can make another account). The skins aren’t faulty and still work as intended, just you lost access to them because you broke the agreement.

OP your whole argument turns on being unjustly banned. You can’t just ‘blah, blah everyone knows it’ through that part. Can you demonstrate this is true?

I can’t say it isn’t either but, I’m not the one making a legal claim that I’ve been defrauded.

In absence of hard evidence, I’ll ask you what percentage of the HotS player base do you think is banned or ever has been banned? You’re claiming this is a systemic issue, right? Does it make sense that this doesn’t affect probably even 10%? And I’d say that’s generous. What do you think, 50%? 80%?

Buwhahahahahahahhaha!!!

Blizzard doing the right thing… and then… and then (gasp)… NOT ABUSING THEIR POWER!

I CAN’T STOP LAUGHING AT THIS CONCEPT!

your sol its in the tos league of legends who leads the fair play alliance does the same sh!t and that’s where the ban bot comes from hints why people are quiting and mm is getting worse and worse an worse. its the same sh!tty league players that asked for the ban bot here.

its pretty funny isn’t it rasalom activision ea and Ubisoft are the three worst publishers for a reason.

1 Like