Zephrys and Mass Dispel

Zephrys doesn’t offer Mass Dispel even on the most obvious situations. Even when it produces lethal without needing to take into account card text other than Taunt, that or it is paying too much attention to the immunity that Mal’Ganis gives. The lack of Zephrys giving me Mass Dispel when I obviously needed and wanted it has happened many times, but today was the extreme.

Playing Mage, against Warlock (Wild obvs). The situation is: I finished the quest and I had Time Warp in hand. Opponent had just played Gul’Dan and had Mal’ganis, a Voidlord and everything else Void Walkers in board. I had my board full of 3/3 to 8/8 minions. The opponent had 15 health and 5 armor. My plan was: Time Warp, then play Zephrys into Mass Dispel next turn and finish him off. Zephrys offered me Blizzard, Shadowflame and Gorehawl. Neither of them gave me lethal.

I guess it is possible Zephrys didn’t realize Voidlord’s deathrattle or Mal’Ganis’ immunity, and so it thought that with any of those three I could actually get lethal. But the point still stands: Offering me Blizzard and Shadowflame are kind of redundant. Give me different options to achieve the same result. Gorehawl is different, but instead of Blizzard, give me a Mass Dispel, so that I, who can read card text, can choose which of the three options is better, instead of giving me two that are virtually the same.

3 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t care about wild, only promoting a card they made with their name on it. Kappa

3 Likes

All I hear is “WAH WAH Zephyrs didn’t give me a card I could never put in my deck” and “I deserve to discover the perfect cards for 2 mana because I played a highlander deck in wild”

This is true justice to know that Zephrys didn’t just magically give you a BS lethal option.

1 Like

Exept that is how the card is advertised, it looks at the board state, evaluates it and gives you the best card for the situation.

12 Likes

Zephyrs doesn’t know what each individual DR is going to do. You should have killed the Void Lord (assuming singular).

He understands Reborn and will offer Mass Dispel against a board of Khartut Defenders.

In my opinion, Zephrys should recognize Deathrattle as a threat in general. Right now it doesn’t, which is stupid. Offer one card as a way to nullify to the Deathrattle, while having two other cards offered as a way to handle the board/stats like usual. Deathrattle has no impact on what’s on the hand or deck, so I have no idea why it doesn’t recognize it as a standalone threat like it does with other things.

Seems like Deathrattle was an oversight when they rehauled how Zephrys was working, but Deathrattle is one of the strongest mechanics in the game in regards to board presence. This card needs to recognize that.

1 Like

It might be too hard at this stage to program him with a “what can go wrong with this lethal” subroutine.

He also misses on popping lethal defeating Secrets.

I’m wondering what your board state looks like. I’ve never, not once, ever played or had someone play Zeph where lethal was possible and it didn’t give it to them.

I’ll have a full board of taunt or a giant taunt and every single time Zeph gives them mass dispel, hex, or silence.

I would really question what your board looks like and how much mana you have left when playing him.

Zephrys doesn’t “think” about secrets, deathrattle specifics, and card specifics so he might well offer you the “wrong” lethal which actually won’t wotk. This doesn’t happen very often but it certainly happens occasionally when you actually did have a lethal option but Zephrys didn’t think of it.

1 Like

Maybe I’m playing a higher caliber of players who know how to actually “force” zeph into giving you lethal.

If the enemy has iceblock on board and you can kill them, you don’t play Zeph at 10 mana and get options with 8 mana left.

You play 6 mana worth of stuff, then play zeph so that the chance that you get flare is dang near 100%.

I think the problem is people don’t really know how to play him. They just slap him down immediately with 8 mana remaining and hoping for the best.

If you want dispel, play Zeph when you have 6 mana remaining so he has 4 mana to work with.

Like I’ve said, I’ve never seen anyone NOT get lethal when using this strategy.

This video is PRIME example of how NOT to play Zeph:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1GGnPIVNRg

Had the user used up their mana instead of giving Zeph 8 mana to work with, he would have been given different options. By letting 8 mana remain, Zeph thinks the user wants to use 8 mana. Had he used up all his mana, a 0 cost silence likely would have been offered instead.

Zeph isn’t “missing lethal” so much so as people are misplaying into Zeph’s algorithm.

7 Likes

But even in non-lethal situations, Zeph will be like “oh, there’s stats on the board. But then there’s also a Deathrattle that will probably be three times as worse to deal with as well. Instead of nullifying or even suggesting to nullify the obviously bigger deathrattle that’s next to it, let’s just offer some taunt to block it.”

I’ve lost to Mechathun because Zeph didn’t offer me any silence option when I dirty ratted it from a hand. I also won because opponent Zeph didn’t offer silence on my expired Merchant, which gave me 2 Nzoth to clear the game later.

I’ll take your word for it. So you’re saying that all or most of those missed lethals (in the video) could have been avoided with better mana manipulation?

I had a bunch of small minions, Mage had Flame Ward up. I wanted Secret Tech but wasn’t offered (can’t remember mana available).

Today I wanted Ooze I left him 3 mana, he gave me Mountain Giant instead. Turns out 3/2 and 8/8 on 5 was better than Ooze that time. But later…

At 4 mana against res Priest I didn’t get the Hex I wanted. I still won that game but it was closer than it could have been.

I’m almost certain they would have found lethal with mana manipulation. Mana manipulation is absolutely crucial when playing Zeph. If you notice in the video anytime they had 8 mana left it almost always offered Tirion and Whitemane (an 8 mana and 7 mana minion) because it thinks that 8 mana is what the player wants to work with.

This is a fair point. I do consider all of the other things when using Zephrys, like he can’t look at your hand, he sees Taunt but not other ongoing effects (except Doomsayer), etc. But maybe the fact that he gives you worse stuff because you have too much mana is escaping me a bit.

That said, though, and also in reply to all the other guys. I’m not saying Zephrys should SEE the lethal, but if the opponent has 6 minions with Taunt, one of which is a 3/9 which also has a Deathrattle (regardless of what the Deathrattle is, silence works against Deathrattle), I think that offering you Mass Dispel as one of the three options would be nice. Possibly if I had ensured I had 4 mana left after Zephrys I would’ve gotten it.

I still won, though, left the guy at 3 health and he gave up, but it was unnecessarily risky.

1 Like

Boo Hoo. Your busted card wasn’t busted enough in 1 situation.

2 Likes

Actually this is NOT a wild situation only. Many times i need mass dispel against Agro decks. Mech Pala and Face Huntard. Board filled with Deathratles 2\3 damage to the face, and i gave exact 4 mana to force a Mass dispell and he didn’t give me sh**. Also, when i DragonCaster into Zephrys to force Plague of Death, NEVER worked, ever. I never got Plague of Death and for sure Zephrys is not programed to give one.

Zephyrs only can give you classic and basic cards :v

1 Like

Same happened to me, but with a board full of Safeguards, Sludge Belchers, etc. resurrected by N’Zoth.
I don’t think Zephyrs considers if minions summoned by a Deathrattle have Taunt.
I HOPE that it isn’t that Zephyrs doesn’t even take Taunt or Deathrattles into account when suggesting cards!!

Zephrys takes taunts into account, but not deathrattles.

1 Like