Year of dragon= year of aggro decks?

“Why is it all aggro decks!”

watches grandmaster tourneys run 100% control

Yeah. I see your point. Dat turn 40 aggro warrior is something.

3 Likes

You’ve already read the metagame. Have you tried playing a deck to counter it?

Hearthstone would be a much better game if my opponent would do intellectually stimulating things like not try to win. It makes it more fun for me at least.

3 Likes

They ruin all my fun! How dare they play optimized decks! Especially in a competitive format!

2 Likes

There are not optimized, that is the problem. Too aggressive, few midgame.

Obviously they are if they keep beating you. Either that, or your decks are suboptimal, or its a L2P issue. We can only speculate since nobody wants to post replays.

1 Like

the problem is, that I have to play aggro deck too, if I want to win. But aggro decks are boring for me. All deck types should be balanced in game.

2 Likes

Yeah. I kept seeing over and over and over again in Casual Hand Vomit Warlock, Midrange/SMorc Hunter, Broken Token Druids, Murloc Shamans and my non Tier 1 decks just couldn’t get up with the Vomit. So I spent all my dust from last seasons and made the best Warrior deck I could. Not Tier but it at least it contends with all the Vomit. Sadly when I play Warrior the Matchup system does throw all those Vomit decks at me anymore. Then I get Mass Rez Priest decks or Big Shaman decks.

Then if I get bored with Warrior and try my gimped Mage deck - ah man slow start again for a hand my opponent? Vomit Warlock. Just can’t wipe the board enough.

Make a deck that beats it? Sure. I can make a deck designed to beat that. But then suddenly, the cards I pick that would work do float to the top like you need them too. Like what happens in their streamline “consistent” deck where they can rely on cards to be there from 1 - 3, 3 - 6, 6 - 9. But then also again, as soon I make a deck to beat Vomit Warlock, the matchup system won’t give me Vomit Warlock.

1 Like

They should but they’re not always. Sometimes you have to suck it up or stick to casual.

yeah, thats why I am giving my feedback here. The best decks now are aggro focused, and I hope it will change in next weeks. Other deck types must have a chance to exist too.

1 Like

Its also the end of season. Typically, a lot of aggro/midrange decks use this time to climb as much as they can.

How did you only have a 40% chance against aggro? Between Control Priest, Taunt/Baku Warrior, and Warlock control had a heyday in Year of the Raven. You had one meta aggro deck for awhile (Heal Zoolock) and then whatever you want to call Odd Paladin post-nerf as it wasn’t quite an aggro deck but certainly not really a midrange deck. Slow-ish Token deck maybe?

Year of the Mammoth was a very Control cominated meta which is partially why OTK became the go-to strategy towards the end. So far I would agree that Year of the Dragon is more aggressive but Shaman and Warrior still do decently against aggro but have really no answer to Conjurer Mage (Hunter, Shaman can deal with not sure on Warrior).

The fact that my non-tier 1 Control Shaman can deal with Warlock, Hunter, Token Druid, and Shaman then means… you can’t build decks or lack the cards… one or the other. You say non-tier 1 (and some of those are tier 2) can’t win yet I’ve taken homebrew, tier 3 and even a tier 4 eck (highly disagreed with Vs on that one) to legend with good WRs. Just because your first attempt that you are convinced “OMG THIS MUST BE THE BEST DECK EVAR!!” doesn’t mean non-tier 1 & 2 decks can’t climb it means the deck has a flaw that can’t be covered for or the player has a flaw.

Are they though? I mean the current Hunter (Edit: Alright Hunter is more diverse than I remembered, the #2 deck is definitely aggro)and Mage are not really aggro decks. Sure Token Druid and Murloc Shaman are but if that is the top-4 decks it is only half =p

Also, one thing to consider is I doubt many people are really grinding away at new archetype ideas with the buff patch right around the corner. I know I haven’t tried to target the meta at all in Standard as too much will change soon.

1 Like

yeah, I used all my dust for mid-late decks and now they are useless. Now I know that I should wait at least 2 month after year change before start to buy cards.

Most token druids that I have seen run a pretty heavy package and can trade blow for blow into late gam against control warrior. There are agro builds, but most are not. Even murloc shaman has a lot more card generation than you would expect to see in an agro deck, though I suppose it can snipe those early wins with tinyfins or wide warleader boards.

To be fair, aggro is about to die hardcore. Check the buffs

Murloc Shaman is certainly an aggro deck that just has the generation between Underbelly Angler and Hagatha (in Standard). Ideally though the Murloc wants to close the game out fast.

At least in the version of TOken Druid I run (Sea Giant + Crystalsong, no Stallaris) it is kind of the ‘aggro-combo’ hybrid for certain but I’d still say it wants to kill quickly but I do agree that the amount of reosurces it can generate on the board is a bit scary… my Control Shaman has everything in it’s arsenal to produce AoE and I still only win roughly 65% of my games and I am literally running every AoE I can think of outside of two Deathrattle AoE cards.

I dont play warrior and warlock. But believe me, I was fulky satisfied with aggro decks from previous year(except pre-nerf palladin) in comparison what we have now.

And yes they are aggro focused(in my opinion). Cyclone mage use a lot of cards on the start and mech hunter with goblin bombs is a very strong aggro for me

I was thinking Conjurer Mage nit Miracle Mage. I’m nto sure how I would classify Miracle Mage as I haven’t seen it enough in Standard. In Wild it is a combo deck but not sure in Standard.

I usually see the slower “Nine Lives” Hunter deck. Hmmm… let me check HSR right now:
checks HSR
Yeah, that deck would be aggro for certain. Luckily Secret is showing as more popular right now which is slower.

I mean, I see what you are saying, but an 8-mana value engine and AoE basically invalidates the idea that it might be an agro deck on its own. This may be wrong, but I actually ran tastyfins in mine over Hagatha - more aggressive, but still a lot of draw for an agro deck.

I have always run the soul-wispering-aid build and that is mostly what I see on ladder. You drop a few points against zoo, but it gains you back several points in the control match-up.

1 If you think that there is aggro at the game you have no idea of how the game works.

2.There will NEVER be a “control metagame” because turn 45 draws sucks.
Not insist.