Winning games and then losing games

!This is not a complaint post. I am actually here to learn something!
I tried out a few different high winrate decks today, according to hsreplay at least.
For the first 15 games or so I did really well, winning most of my games. After a while I started losing games, that is expected. But it would be most of my games. As an example, the most recent deck, my first 8 games were wins. After that I played another 10 games and won only 2. To be clear, this exact scenario happened multiple times today, with different decks.
Now, what is the issue?
Am I getting overconfident? If so, what can I do to prevent that?
If not, what else could it be?
Any advice and insight is welcome. If anyone else has had this issue please share what you have done to fix it. Thank you in advance!
!Again this is not a complaint post. I want to fix this issue I am having!

2 Likes

Do you play ranked or casual?
Either way, you’ll face better opponents the more you win, so just pay close attention what happens when, and think about alternative plays you could’ve made that would’ve prevented a bad situation. Because the other better players do the same, and can play their cards more intelligently to put you in such bad situations.

Apart from that, it’s variance of course. There’ll be winstreaks, lossstreaks, and everything inbetween, in the grand total of things you’ll probably arrive somewhere around 48% - 52%.

1 Like

Alot of information can be derived from your past games data.

Look at the games,

• what % matchups (favored/unfavored/mirror)
  • how many of the games are uncontrollable(bad hand/draw)
  • any misplays contributing to losses

Alternatively, having someone* to spec your plays can be a more direct help

Ranked. I will start taking more time on my turns from now on. I think I find myself auto piloting the decks I play and not actually thinking about everything I could be doing. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Wow. I can barely play 3 games in a day. Let alone (8+10)*multiple. 54 games? 72? 90?!?
I envy you. Welp, back to work.

This may not affect your play style, but this might assuage any fear of misplays you might have.

Assuming you had a solid winrate, say, 55%. Very good rate. You won’t necessarily win 3, lose 2, or something to that effect. Both win and lose streaks are fairly common. They could also just be a random pocket of decks that soft/hard counter your (or are countered by you.)

The best advice I have is to get a deck tracker. Find out if you lose more than you should be against a certain class. Maybe just remember not to auto-pilot those matchups in particular.

I usually don’t play ranked matches thinking about winning or losing, I only play to see what happens in the match and have some fun playing. Of course, I play meta decks, because I want to win and those decks may increase my chances, but the win comes naturally.