Wild and Raza Priest

I know Wild does not get much attention, but I think unnerfing Raza was the worst decition ever taken in this game, and I’ve been here since Beta. It’s not fun to just play against those decks, they are annoying and unimaginative. You can either play the deck you enjoy and get crushed by them or play anti-highlander and have them concede as soon as you shuffle something in their deck. Either way, not fun.
Team, is there any way you might consider making it back to “cost 1”?

I know there are a lot of people that love that deck, but that just because you are priest players.

8 Likes

According to another post Priest is unplayable garbage in Standard, so there’s that…

1 Like

That’s what you get for playing dumpster fire mode. Standard is not much different nowadays - just pick one of the broken decks of your choice and faceroll your way in. Wild just exacerbates that a lot more - and yes, priest is pretty much garbage on standard because all it can do now is heal or spawn a bunch of copies if you somehow live long enough to it.

1 Like

I literally last played against a Priest in standard 11 days ago. It’s tempting me to priorize standard haha

I’m far from an expert in Wild, but Wild seems absolutely dominated by priest. Priest in Wild is worse than DH is in standard in terms of representation. I think it is different variants of priest such as big and raza, but regardless priest seems to have Wild mode completely by the balls

It has made me personally completely give up on Wild. I play my standard decks there to farm some ez bronze-silver rated wins. That is the few games I win banging my head against the wall of priests that have 937375 different extremely effective forms of both removal and discover

2 Likes

Since my last post I’ve played 3 back to back matches vs Priest and beat them all with my attrition / control deck. The odd thing is I didn’t get to play Void Contract and Tickatus only got played twice over the three games.

It became clear that at least two of the players were so focused on playing my expensive top heavy deck against me that they forgot about board dominance.

Last season I tried using bomb warrior against Priest, but I ended up queuing against odd Paladins that beat me (oh the irony). I play 1 out of three against priest, but it’s un-interactive and boring. They just suck the will to live out of the opponent.

I hate raza priest, but I won’t like a nerf to raza like this, even if it would be fair.

Raza priest is a very solid deck, but it isn’t as obnoxious as a druid that kills you on turn 3 or a quest mage that plays a solo game.

The “best nerf” that I can think is: Raza: your current heropower costs 0 for the rest of the game; so you can’t just play it on turn 5 and benefit later on.

Others suggested to nerf spawn of shadow instead, which would make it hard to deal 30 damage in one turn; it’s also a good suggestion.

3 Likes

There is absolutely no point to a nerf like this…they will just not play it until turn 9 then. The appropriate nerf would be like the other hero power card, your basic hero power costs 0 for the rest of the game. If you swap with Gal or Shadow, then your hero power still costs 2. And Raza doesn’t effect their Hero Powers.

2 Likes

Maybe Shadowreaper needs the nerf, and make it “twice a turn” or “deal 1 damage”. Either way it’s annoying. I don’t see how it’s not worst that Quest Mage, there’s ways to play around it. And Druid it just like any aggro deck, it might win or lose, but at least it will be quick.

So let me start this off by saying that yes I am a Raza Priest player, but I think that gives me some insight into the deck which is why I’m replying.
Now personally I don’t know that their is a problem with Raza Priest, but if there is a problem its definitely because of Spawn of Shadows, and the reason why comes down to win conditions.
Against Aggro decks Raza is just trying to outlast them, which it does through its cheap board clears and of course Reno, you will usually have won or lost the game far before you even assemble your combo.
But against Control decks the way Raza wins is by otking them, and it MUST otk most control decks because otherwise they just bounce right back into the game. For example against Control Warlock (Reno variants especially) if you don’t outright kill the Warlock they have so many powerful comeback plays, such a N’Zoth, Malygos, Guldan, and Reno all of which make it increasingly difficult for you to kill the opponent, and you only have so many board clears to deal with all their value. Spawn of Shadows is the only card that wins you the control match-up, and to a large extent it does feel cheap to randomly get otk’d from the priest having no board presence and you can’t always play around it.
But one could say that it doesn’t have to be that way, if you nerf Spawn of Shadows in some way (lets assume it’s not playable) then Raza Priest could transition into a more of a control list (currently I’d say Raza is a combo deck, since you basically wait to draw spawn of shadows and then win), and once it becomes a control list it could add in more value cards but I think it would be hard to compete with Warlocks pure value.
All this said the reason I’m not sure that Priest needs the nerf is because of all the tech options control decks can run against Raza that decks can run. Just in control Warlock you have dirty rat and gnomeferratu, both of which can snipe the priests combo pieces before they even play them. Other options such as Hecklebot, Deathlord, and Bad Luck Albatros can all similarly ruin the Priests day.

TLDR: Spawn of Shadows is what causes playing against Raza priest to feel pretty hopeless for slow decks, because either you snipe their combo pieces in hand or you just end up getting randomly otk’d once they have all the pieces. (Hope I made sense)

That’s how any OTK deck is working. From Burn Mage to Mechtun Warlock.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I just think is really rng dependent to brake the combo with a dirty rat (or a Ancestor’s Call in shaman). You need to be lucky enough to summon raza or reno and not any other minion.
It can also be broken with shuffling cards into the opponent’s deck (with bombs), but those decks aren’t that strong against aggro.

What I mean is that it’s not un-defeatable, it’s just really annoying to play against.

Raza is honestly fine. It’s dominant but it’s far from being unbeatable, like that’s one of the reasons aggro is starting to be dominant on diamond 5, but I wouldn’t have anything against a nerf of the only inspire minion which ever saw play in wild.

1 Like

For me personally, Raza was fine at HP (1) Mana.
I dont complain when antonidas with 4 apprentices or 2 giants with time warp nuke my face in or if I get flooted with anyfin can happen. Everytime I am impressed when Uthread from the ebon blade or MechaCthun destroy my hero.

The Raza-Combo feels different, though. Maybe it isnt the repeatable 0-Mana 2 dmg HP itself, maybe it is the nearly infinite supply of low cost spells and mass removal tools in wild.
I would claim that with a hero power at (1) mana it would still be possible, requirering a more deliberate setup though.

2 Likes

Finley//Wizard + Witchwood Piper to stabilize getting both

Darkness(cant be silence but also cant be play immediatly…but guaranteed shut
down of no duplicate cards effects(raza,zeph,reno,kazakus)

Albatros(subject to being silence)

1 Like

To kill someone from full hp (30) then Raza needs to use their hero power 6 times with Spawn of Shadows on board. Spawn of Shadows itself is 4 mana so it would be just possible if you managed to have 5 0 cost cards in hand. Which is doable but quite unlikely, even if you do carry the coin. It would virtually kill the deck I think, or at least force them to heavily modify their deck list either to be more combo oriented or more control oriented.

Check your calculator: 30 / (4 + 2) = 5.

After the Taurissan the Spawn becomes 3.

Raza players are the cheater! And HS permission them. If is raza nerf again! I won’t play HS anymore!

I play wild since it exists and i always prefer to play agains raza than play against ressurectd things… big priest is worse