Why does almost every single ranked player have BM now-a-days?

The worst are the ones who go afk after a swing turn. I usually don’t win the game and force them to concede, usually after about 5 turns of filling the board and subsequently killing my own minions to avoid milling.

1 Like

I don’t get BM’d often but when I do I am vicious in response. I’ll wait until the rope begins to even begin playing my turn(I am FAST); best is when they believe all turn they have a chance til rope begins and I play my answers.

The only time I preemptively BM is when I see t1 decks in casual. Even if I’m winning vs big priest, as soon as I see that barnes or statue I will drag that game as long as I can just to punish. T1 has NO place in casual and I’ll not be convinced otherwise. Although its amusing how many times my lakkari renounce lock deck has won vs big priest; throw all the damage I possibly can in their face until statue comes out then renounce hopefully into straight removal/burn XD

1 Like

As a beginner between level 15 and 12 I face tier 1 decks all the time. I have dusted all possible cards in 7 classes to get a few rare and epic cards for mage (big mistake) and hunter. Players with tier 1 decks with many legendaries like to comment a lot. They believe they are playing well, ROFL. If I conseed with hunter, the message will be “well fought”. But the game was not well fought. It was won by superior cards and lucky card draws. Sometimes they don’t even find lethal. How can they avoid climbing from rank 12 with cards like that? Sometimes I quit the game or let the time run out against those players. I simply want to avoid sending the message “Well fought”. I don’t want to lie!

1 Like

Top ten reasons people BM:

10: You’re playing a tier 1 deck in casual/newbie ranks

9: You’re playing a cancer deck. Don’t act stupid with the “oh everyone has their own idea of fun”. You know if your deck is cancer.

8: Steamers do it/condone it and some even take credit for popularizing it.

7: People want some way to interact with their opponent in the absence of a chat function. Most emotes come across as BM whether intended or not.

6: They’re trolls who troll in every game they play like 50% of all gamers and HS is no different.

5: There’s no repercussions for doing it. So why not?

4: People will friend request them or make forum threads baby raging about it so they know they got under your skin. 2019 and people still don’t understand this.

3: Because emotions follow the same laws as that of thermodynamics and conservation of mass. For every “unit” of happiness there is an equal and opposite “unit” of sadness. The universe is in a constant zero-sum balance of emotional neutrality. BMing your opponent causes a spike in their sadness and gives a childhood cancer patient somewhere a small ray of sunshine. Or if they’re already dead or whatever you can harvest that sadness yourself to enhance the joy of your own victory.

2: Because this game is a roulette wheel of matchmaking/1st vs 2nd/hard counters /discover bull**** so what’s the point of sportsmanship or taking it seriously for any reason?

1: Because you (specifically you) are a bad person and you deserve it.

8 Likes

I don’t know why people BM. I rarely use emotes and I rope back once that usually makes it stop.

If they spam emotes, I thank them for every emote and this usually makes them stop. I don’t like to be negative or rude toward my opponent: if they greet me, I greet back.

The deck type/tier has zero bearing on the moral compass of a person. Casual is just that - casual. You don’t lose or gain stars. As a matter of fact, you don’t lose anything.

Why should casual be limited to homebrew decks? If I don’t want to, I’ll ask my friends to help me with quests/brawls or we’ll make our own house rules.

Also, you can try the Commoners Cup tournament. That sometimes has some crazy rules that might be up your alley.

You have options - employ them. All this BM’ing and complaining isn’t going to force the system, or anyone, to cater to you.

1 Like

Many reasons.
Some of which are -
Ppl are bored with the game big-time bc 4 month metas are 1 month too long.
in the past, 4 month’s wasn’t as-boring or boring-at-all, bc of card-design and familiarity w classic wasn’t at about 99.9 percent back then.

Also, there’s always the new player who vs or hs’s up a deck, jams it, it curves-out-as-designed, and they mistake the deck that they did not make, repeated that they did not make, as their own in-game, in-that-turn play.

So lets say it’s idk an aggro, which is not-midrange, bc midrange from “what?” Hunter, hit’s a razormaw on 2. Obvi if you have to look up aggro hunter to know what the cards and how-to-pay it are, something’s up or you have to be very-new to hs. But as an example, maybe you thought aggro hunter should have 6 1 costs instead of 5 or 4, something like that, maybe you’d look it up to get-perfection and not-be-off-by-1 or 2.

So lets say that player hits its t2 razormaw. They bm emote.
Now, if they didn’t netdeck, maybe they woulda included 3 1 costs, and thus missed their 1, and then couldn’t maw the game on 2. so basically that decklist provided the foundation for that razormaw spike. maybe they wouldn’t even look at razormaw and see "wow, this card is gg if it hits auto’. who knows.

So ppl can mistake metadeck’s power, or be blind to what that optimal list did for them, and confuse that with the play at hand or that their choices made that spike.

That’s why they bm emote a lot.
Lists do work for ppl, and mulli strats which is play 2 after list which is play 1.
this is undeniable.

put im sorry back in the game, take away this ‘wow’ emote culture nobody wanted, stop nerfing down the classic set, rotate and/or balance wild, give us 3 month metas over 4, buff up deckbuildling cards, like f/e kazakus is gated to 3 classes and should be opened up to all 9, and watch deckbuilding increase, copying decrease, and bm emoting decrease.

Also, just add auto-s as an option…bc manually shifting to auto-s every match is a big deal when you play > 2 hs matches a day.

I play T1 deck tt I climb ladder with in casual often because

1. I just wanna do my quest
  2. I am tired and don’t want to think
  3. If the match up is unfavourable I can just concede.
  4. I don’t have alot of time and my quest log is full.

I really don’t understand it either. The only answer I have is that maybe it’s a generational thing, but I hate saying that because I know that there are plenty of younger players with good manners and quite a few older ones with poor manners, but it’s all I can think of and, being 44, I do see a big difference in the level of respect, in general, towards others from people my age or older and younger people.
I think the younger generations who have grown up with the internet have grown up with a lot of their person to person interactions not being face to face and that maybe that has depersonalized other people to them. Somehow the think it’s ok to treat another person like dirt if they’re just a screen name, which, if true, is kind of frightening.
I believe that to get a sense of a person’s true self look how the act when they think no one is watching and when there will be no consequences. If you treat other people like trash in those situations it says a lot about the type of person you are.
I don’t know what’s worse though, if these people can’t see that their actions depict them this way and that that’s not a good thing, or if they do understand that and either just don’t care or accept it as being ok.
It’s funny, I watched the HBO documentary about Mr. Rogers the other day and afterward immediately thought of how poorly so many people treat each other online. Which brings me back to the generational thing again. I grew up with stuff like Mr. Rogers and with parents who made sure I was not only polite and kind to others but that I understood why that was important. Sometimes when someone is just really rude I wish I could ask them if their parents didn’t teach them to act any better than they’re acting now, or if they’d still act this way if those they cared about were watching them do so?
Who knows. Like I said, I just don’t understand it. At the end of them game I still tell them well played and just move.

5 Likes

Lot of kids play games so…

1 Like

Seems like people with T1 and cancer decks are just as likely to BM. It is more likely that winning is super important to them. The worst BM I’ve seen lately was a Big Priest in wild casual, who didn’t like my aggro mech mage.

That said, I do rope every turn on Odd Paladins who farm casual standard. :smiley:

Good documentary. Ironically I tried to get my elderly mother to watch it, and she refused, said it was too boring. :smiley:

You can play cancer in casual for whatever reasons you please. This isn’t life and death, I’m not going to hunt you down IRL and waterboard you til you beg for mercy and I allow you off with a vow to change your scummy ways.

Instead, I’ll BM you. Punishment fits the crime.

Amddddd after 2 rope I will.just concede because like. I say I don’t have time. Just wanna clear quest ASAP, something laddar don’t provide cause conceding have penalty.

It’s only BM if you think it’s BM.

Maybe they’re impressed. For example, was playing Gonk Druid, but he had Ice Block, managed to bump down to one health, but he had Reno, and I lost. We friends now.

What do you expect when there is no chat?
There’s no global pressure release in matches so the community will always just grow more toxic to express frustration at the games design decisions(a the complete lack of it in areas). That frustration creates dissonance and that increases pack sales.

I just believe in equal opportunity and and treat everyone the same. No one gets special treatment or excluded my beliefs. Therefor I just rope everyone.

But I do love winning games more vs people with “god” or “pants” as a part of their name.

There isn’t any crime to punish. There isn’t any reason to justify why anyone plays what they play. It’s a game and people play what is fun: their reasons for doing so are not anyone else’s business.

I play T1 decks in Casual because I have quests to complete. Also, I only focus on creating T1 decks because I like to win. Seeing posts like this is just the cherry on top and encourages me to engage in casual a lot more often.

As a matter of fact, I have a “Play 30 Paladin class cards” quest - might dust off my Odd Paladin and take it for a spin…in honor of this whole thread.

There you go - a clarified explanation of why I play T1 decks in casual.

Good Luck and Happy Gaming!

1 Like

I dont mind tbh. Its just a game and you probably won’t meet the guy irl so who cares? Maybe people just enjoy being smug, sometimes you can’t help it if you pulled off a really good combo or something of the sort.

1 Like

I BM sparingly when my opponent starts it. I’m playing Hemetless Mechathun Quest priest right now to grind 500 wins, which is basically a ton of card draw & survival leading up to the 5 card combo. Since switching to this deck I’ve received an insane number of “Oops” emotes from opponents I’ve gone on to beat.

Some of the plays I have to make in order to get to my survival cards look like blatant mistakes. I’m basically spamming cheap deathrattle minions like Loot Hoarder, Dead Ringer, Plated Beetle & Bloodmage Thalnos with Twilight’s Call, often killing them off on the turn they’re played just to draw faster, gain armour and/or avoid milling.

There’s nothing more satisfying than emoting “Not quite what was planned” right back at them on the last turn before I drop my combo. /feelsgoodman.jpg :frog:

and you can’t do it in ranked because you’re top 1 legend and could lose ranks, right?

1 Like

I’m not even R15. Essentially, I play what I want, in whatever mode I want. Period.

I don’t need to explain myself or justify my reasons to you or anyone else. T1 Decks are in casual: always have been, always will be - so suck it up buttercup.

3 Likes