Why are blizzard games so bad now?

I’ve been playing blizzard games for years, and I can honestly say there have been some fantastic titles.

Once the king of game developers - unfortunately the quality of blizzard’s games are getting much worse with each and every patch.

I just recently quit WoW after 14 years, it’s just so incredibly boring now. (Not because it’s old, because it is too easy and is driven by solo game play instead of community engagement).

Hearthstone was the last blizzard game I was still playing occasionally, and some how you have even manage to take the fun of this game as well.

What I enjoy about hearthstone is the randomness of Arena. Not going up against the same 4-5 decks, or zoo decks over and over is quite fun. (Yes I know my opinion is very subjective based on what I find enjoyable).

I am not the best player in the world, but with over 4000 arena games under my belt and dozens of ‘12 game wins’ I’ve certainly had my fair share of experience in Arena.

Never in all my time playing arena has it been in such an incredibly boring state as it is now. Based on the cards available at the moment, unless you build zoo deck you are unlikely to get past a few wins. If I wanted this kind of boring linear experience, I would go and play ladder… or any of your other games.

5 Likes

A game needs to evolve to keep up. Sometimes that evolution doesn’t happen right: either it loses old fans, or fails to gain new ones.

Take Sonic and Mario, the old “rivalry”. Sonic was great in 2D, had some awesome titles, and when they went to 3D, kind of just floundered - good music and a spark of inspiration here and there, but ultimately not up to its former reputation. Mario on the other hand hit the 3D world with Super Mario 64, and pushed out some great new game since - Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey, never mind the offshoots, they always brought something new and interesting to gamers old and new.

Blizz’ Hearthstone is actually a great modern take on card games. WoW… is something I’m not entirely sure has kept up, torn between trying to “return to its roots” but also trying to reinvent its gameplay.

But now I realize this would need a way bigger thread to discuss, and I want coffee too much to open this can of worms.

But Arena now changes substantially every two months. Isn’t that good?

Hearthstone used to be a good game. i have spoken with people who work for Blizzard, not single person can explain why their game is no longer based on RNG. They control who wins and who loses based on your previous matches. for Example. you start the match with 3 cards, discard 2 and get the same 2 back. The developers say thats RNG based on the duplicates in your deck. Hey imbeciles, i have no duplicates.

This may come as a shock to you young uns but once a upon a time DC made better, (far better) superhero movies then Marvel.

Times change, those once on top, end up on the bottom and vice versa.

Can you name one good DC movie that isn’t a Christopher Nolan movies?

Time change so the top is not always the top. Call it hubris, complacency, etc. but things tend to be cyclical to a degree.

I would challenge one point here… I wouldn’t say Blizzard is in a downward trajectory on every franchise based on three franchises:

Hearthstone:
I’ll start with HS because this is the HS forums. I don’t think it is in decline… I think we saw that last year. The past 6 months feels like a slight increase in quality and maybe a plateau point to me.

Diablo 3:
Do you remember how poor it was originally? Reaper of Souls and surrounding patches + the last major set update that was done fixed A LOT of the issues with D3. It still has a core game fail in weapon damage = scale factor but that is such a base part of the game that it was never going to be fixed in the game itself due to how much rebalancing would have been needed in RoS. What is Diablo 3 now? A game with great gameplay (action) but still a relatively shallow itemization, customization, and repetitive play through. At least though the team has improved it from a “meh” gameplay, boring itemization, and poor customization to at least tolerable levels of itemization and customization and very good gameplay.

Overwatch:
I just have to take other individual’s words on this that I know. Overwatch is not my type of game but from friends who play it they still think it is quite good and still has a lot of potential. There are some comp issues, etc. from what I understand but the core gameplay is still quite good I hear.

Edit:
A combination of our expectations and Blizzard’s performance created some truely memorable games in Diablo 1+2, WC2+3, SC, and WoW. The truth is that our expectations have gone WAY UP, the competition has gotten better, and Blizzard has had some missteps.

1 Like

Well I spoke to George Washington and he said your full of it.

Batman (1989)

Superman the movie (1978)

Watchmen

Aquaman (2018)

Constantine

Batman Returns

Superman II

Man of Steel

V for Vendetta

4 Likes

most of the time, people who say that can’t even reach a decent lvl, how many times have you been glad or even r1? 0, i guess but it’s too easy eh
if you were in the top % every season, you could say it’s easy but you’re not

constantine ! (the tv series were good too)

Blizzard has been so out of touch with it’s player base and it got to a point where they thought they could get away with stuff they had no business getting away with.

Hearthstone

• Was the top Online ccg since it’s inception. It and overwatch are cash cows for blizzard. The hearthstone community regularly asked for better game balance, auto squelch, buffs to cards, a more f2p friendly game in general

blizzard “Do you guys hear something?”

Then came the next Online CCG’s which put a dent in their f2p playerbase, and then magic decided to get in on the pie and released ARENA, which I am SURE contributed to last year’s decline. Then all of a sudden they started releasing freebies, like free packs with adventure content and expansions, and free this and that And brawliseums.

Diablo 3 was DOA, since they fired the original team that made the first two games. The new team had no idea what appealed it to people and dumbed it down

HOTS- Poor management, on life support, hopefully it will be closed down soon so they can focus efforts on their other games.

Overwatch - Devs just continued to ignore poor balance and had too slow a content update until people started going to play other FPS’s

Starcraft - too much to even talk about

WOW - just completely disconnected with their playerbase. Feedback goes out one ear, out the other, and then slowly dies in the abyss.

Ehm … I dunno … ehh … ACTIVISION?!

I mean seriously, the whole thing is about keeping stockholders happy :stuck_out_tongue:

well they are doing a good work with Starcraft 2 if you ask me, not sure about the other franchises,

Hearthstone is trapped between a desperate push to encourage the playerbase back but too stubborn to relinquish potential profit.

There are some great changes, free legendaries, no dupe legendaries, decent promotions and events and free packs, actual card buffs, more frequent balance changes… but then on the flip side, the $20 pack bundle just had to be 17 packs, the 10 pack bundle had to be 9, they couldn’t resist starting to charge for the adventures, still no new game modes.

There’s still hope for Hearthstone though. WoW is just too far gone. WoW is a hopeless mess of endless changes for the worse and bad experiments. The original WoW team is almost entirely gone by now and the new one simply has no idea what to do.

:slight_smile:

must be 20 characters.

While I can understand OP point of view, such blatant lies that cannot be supported isn’t the reason.

1 Like

They must agree with you which is why they released wow classic. Vanilla WOW is still the best game I’ve ever played.

2 words. Activision Happened.

2 Likes

A C T I V I S I O N happened, end of discussion.

1 Like

I’m more partial to TBC, but that’s cause I loved the new races and content more than vanilla.

1 Like