What madman designed the crazy logic of Immune bypassing Taunts?

So, if you give a taunt minion Immunity, then the logical outcome (any sane person would think) is that you have a minion with taunt that cannot take any damage, because it is immune.

But no… apparently this ALSO means that the minion becomes immune to its own taunt keyword too?! I mean what kind of backwards logic is that?
This smacks horribly of “bug” to me, in fairness.

Nobody in their right mind would think that giving a taunt minion immune should effectively destroy it it for a turn - that’s basically what it is doing here.

Blizzard, please tell me this was just a “Whoops! That was a mistake!” moment and we can move on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have it backwards. Allowing Immune taunt to exist would be a mistake as barring very, very few niche spells this would completely invalidate opposing minions and weapons.

Not only is this not a bug, it’s a healthy and necessary part of balance.

9 Likes

That makes no sense, since that’s exactly the point of having an immunity buff in the first place.
Why do you think Paladins and Mages got an immunity for the hero?
Having an immune Hero completely “invalidates opposing minions and weapons”. Or did you somehow forget that existed? But apparently immune heros are perfectly find, but immune minions with taunt are somehow “ehrmehgerd! So brokezored!”
So, yes. It’s a bug and and is completely unhealthy to the game. And is completely imbalanced.

Apples and orange. Paladin and Mage become immune for one turn. An immune minion can be immune for the rest of the game. Which, as I said, invalidates weapons and minions.

You can call it a bug all you want, but it is not a bug and no matter how much you complain about it it’s not going to get changed. Deal with it.

5 Likes

Imagine having an immune taunt minion. smh
I’m glad that you don’t work on the balance team.

4 Likes

The “proper” reason is the same as why Stealth disables Taunt, namely that nothing that cannot be targeted for attacks can have Taunt.

Immune prevents targeting with attacks, therefore Immune will prevent Taunt.

6 Likes

What a pointless comment.
Imagine having an immune player /smh
I’m glad that you don’t work in a position of responsibility.
(See? I can make silly comments like that too)

Citation needed.
Considering it states directly in the HS Wiki that no immune effect is permanent, this argument is redundant and is nothing more than a strawman.

This at least employs a little more logic. But the problem here is that this logic directly contradicts with the way immune works in the first place.
Immune minions are immune to damage, not immune to targetting for attacks. That in itself is a fault of the game logic also.

Have you not played Heist? Super Simian Sphere ring any bells? Summons a permanently Immune King Mukla? This is legit what I thought you were referring to since there is no way according to the wiki to make a minion immune on your opponent’s turn, ie the only time Taunt matters. You get your taunt back as soon as Immune wears off.

3 Likes

Also…

The Immune tool tip doesn’t say it, which I agree is a design flaw. Immune DOES prevent all kinds of specific targeting by design though

From HS wiki:
“An Immune character cannot be actively targeted by the opponent (similarly to Stealth). This includes combat attacks as well as targeted spells, Battlecries and Hero Powers.”

1 Like

That’s in a solo adventure where the rules are completely different.
That doesn’t really apply to constructed. There’s a reason for crazy mechanics there. I could just as easily talk about mechanics in MtG:Arena, as that has the same amount of relevance.

As for the second point, you need to play Dr Boom in warrior to see this happen. (Which also proves the wiki is wrong / out of date in fact)
Just play Spirit of the Rhino, along with SafeGuard.
When the opponent kills Safeguard, it will create a 0/5 Mech with Rush and Taunt, which the Spirit will make immune.

Yes, exactly my point. That’s the whole problem in a nutshell.
The mechanic does not work correctly. It might as well just be Stealth mixed with Protection from Damage. That’s the whole reason this is simply being disguised by the “It’s a feature, not a bug” fallacy.

Hmmmm… The tightest of niche cases in Standard or an extremely common occurrence in solo.

Gee, I wonder what could’ve possibly led me to the conclusion you were talking about Solo /s

2 Likes

It works as designed though. You disagreeing with it doesn’t change that and doesn’t make it a bug.

2 Likes

I’m allowed to disagree with the mechanic though, and I am certainly allowed to claim it is a bug if it does not work in the way that the mechanic should.

But the designers are the ones who decide how it should work and it is consistent with “you can’t have taunt on things you can’t target with attacks”. And considering how edge case this is, you really should choose a better hill to die on.

1 Like

I’m hardly “choosing a hill to die on”. Stating a mechanic does not work logicially in regards to what the mechanic does, purely because the coding lazily does not consider how it should work is hardly anything to shut down as if automatically wrong.
And the fact that even the designers don’t apparently know how the mechanic is supposed to work, based on your quote: “you can’t have taunt on things you can’t target with attacks”, shows that it has not been “designed”, but it is a fauilt of the system dressed up lazily as an intended mechanic.

“designers are the ones who decide how it should work”
Yes - and those who play and experience the output of their design are well within their rights to provide feedback and report where things don’t work correctly or as logically expected. Without reporting these things, they don’t get changed.

Thinking that an edge case is not important follows the same naive reasoning that ended up with mistakes being made previously with cards like Sn1p-Snap.
It just goes to show that the designers (like the rest of us) are human and make mistakes. I’ve been a game designer and balancer for almost 20 years and sure, I still miss things on occasion. It happens.

It’s not lazy coding as it actually demands you to disable taunt when the ability is active. So I’m pretty sure it is a conscious design choice. And I think it is also a smart one. And you do sound like you’re trying to die on this hill considering how aggressive your phrasing is.

Does immune work intuitively? Imo, no. However I don’t think it is bugged in any way.

4 Likes

Some things are unlikely to change even when reported. Stealth and Immune disable Taunt, it’s intentionally designed like this, possibly to prevent whichever sneaky game breaking interactions future cards might otherwise offer. Feel free to dislike it, it has as much chance to get modified as the request to require spells to target taunt minions first.

4 Likes

I think op is right…

immune is not stealth, so minions should be able to attack it, to no avail.

its really hard to get an immune minion anyway, so who cares?

It prevents enemy targeting, the same way Stealth does. The tooltip doesn’t say it specifically, but if you try it, you get an error message stating the target is Immune.

And you can’t be required to attack something you’re not allowed to attack, so an Immune minion can’t Taunt.

People from the future, where the card pool has grown and its become easier to acquire Immune minions. I didn’t even realize it was so easy to do it with the current card pool until OP mentioned the Safeguard thing.

1 Like