Was execute at 1 mana op?

Never had the chance to play it when it was 1 mana, but now with things like blood razor out of standard, its sometimes hard to efficiently damage a minion without trading or warpath/dr boom hero power. Was wondering if it was too op back then with only 1 mana.

Yes. If Hunter’s Mark is 2 mana, why would Execute - a card that’s arguably a lot easier to use due to synergies - be at 1?

1 Like

If im not mistaken hunters mark was also 1 mana when execute was 1 mana
Edit, it was actually 0 mana

7 Likes

Precisely because both became too strong since. Execute had available to better abuse options earlier than Mark.

Hunter’s Mark has been nerfed twice, the first nerf happened a long time ago. You have to consider a few things;

1st off, warrior has had access to superior draw in comparison since the dawn of time. Hunter, with no access to proper draw before Master’s Call was conceived, essentially had to ‘waste’ a valuable slot for a 0/1 mana card back then. A card that spent possibly countless turns in their hand, being nothing but dead weight.

2nd, without Hyena, Hunter’s Mark doesn’t actually progress hunter’s game plan - it doesn’t create board growth, tempo, etc. because you have to ram a minion into it. Meanwhile, warrior could / can just use a weapon i.e. Bloodrazor to land that Execute -chance on a big minion, while potentially enraging their own board / prepping it for a Battle Rage -draw, or push face damage, and so on.

To put it bluntly; warrior was a superior class for such a long period of time, and a low-cost variable spell didn’t hurt them at all.

2 Likes

As it should be…the good old days, sigh

1 Like

The memory I have of 1 mana execute is a very old one.

A deck called wallet warrior, an a powerful turn 10 play back then by them was Ysera into execute.

Times change an 1 mana execute would be run for sure over shield slam by now had it stayed the same. I don’t miss it at 1 mana, the card at 2 feels good still.

One nerf nobody ever complains about is Soulfire going from 0 mana to 1 :stuck_out_tongue:
Was pretty busted back in the day lol.

2 Likes

The true problem was that 1-mana Execute was on same level as “good expansion card” and Warrior already has too many “classic/free-cards” that are as good as expansion cards: Brawl, Shieldslam, Whirlwind, old FWA.

So no, it wasn’t really over-powered. It was too good for a mere basic card.

But to be fair, it won’t matter, Blizzard will reprint more cards like Execute…

Just look at 2x Smoldernlancer, 2x Militia Commander, 2x Dyn-o-matic, 2x Omega Devastator, discover them again, Super Collider.

Warrior is pretty much swimming in powerful removals, even without 1 mana Execute. And I don’t think it will drop. Destroying minions is Warrior’s core for more than 4 years. I’m sure Warrior will get more and more removals.

3 Likes

To see someone’s Ysera can trashed by a 1 mana card was exactly the reason why execute was nerfed. At 2 mana it wouldn’t make much a difference, but it would actually cost something to use.

Ever heard of a card called “Shieldslam”?

I’ve no idea where you pulled that reason from, but it’s obviously nonsense.

Not even talking about the 1 mana Murloc that gives another Murloc Poison. Woops, Ysera died by a Murloc. Blizzard need to nerf this Murloc!

2 Likes

I think it wouldn’t be OP on it’s own. It can only be as powerful as removing one Minion. And removing a minion no matter how cheap doesn’t win you the game on the spot. It has to happen repeatedly for control decks.

So I would say it is kind of OP and kind of not. But recently it would be more OP since there are many other cards like Shield Slam, Smolderthorn Lancer, Omega Devastator and so on. (as Warsong already pointed out)

For Tempo Warrior if it were viable it is probably as powerful as Vendetta in Rogue.

Having 12 armor is clearly much harder to achieve than dealing one damage, especially back then. Armor gain was much more restricted.

5 Likes

Yeah those require a very specific condition to achieve, execute is just to easy to set up for its price

IIRC, it was mainly because a 1 mana removal was just not in line with other card removals.

It was the cheapest removal tool in the game and the only stipulation is the minion had to be damaged which was extremely easy to achieve (and likely was already the case) because there was a LOT more minion vs minion play on the battlefield.

We’re talking about a time when removing a minion usually meant you had to remove it by fighting it with other minions.

When you could 1 mana boar charge and 1 mana removal a giant 9 cost minion it was really too much of a power swing. The extra mana was to help bring it up to par and to also be able to make future removal cards at higher costs instead of having to go off a baseline of 1 mana removal on a damaged minion. They felt future spells would experience “power creeping” for spells.

1 Like

That’s a terrible comparison.

-Requires murloc on board
-Requires inevitable sacrifice of said murloc
-Poison Murloc effect cannot be supplemented with weapons, spells, other minions, hero power, or collateral damage of either player as opposed to execute
-Shield Slam only useful when meta allows for strong armor gain, such as Justicar, Baku, and Boom. Otherwise situational removal geared for medium to small targets. Execute more flexible.
-Card was never OP, simply stated that it was too good for just one mana
-Hunter Mark got nerfed because Hunter gained more tools to remove (aka candle shot). Prior to that Hunter required more from his toolkit to utilize Hunters Mark than Warrior did with his due to synergy of class.
-Shield Slam is still a good card. Most other cards require 3+ mana to remove big targets.

Yeah. A 1 mana execute would be op now. But it probably wouldn’t matter because warriors control tools are just way overtuned to begin with.

They arnt overturned. It’s the only redeemable part of the class at the moment… and they still have trouble controlling multiple meta decks .

Because tempo (dragon & patron) warrior was a thing and 1 mana execute gives crazy tempo in addition to the other crazy options the decks had. It’s basically the same as prep/cold blood or other nerfs that try to reduce the insane tempo push you can do with a combination of cards.

It’s still good for control warriors as they usually have mana to spare.

This. Not so much Patron, pre-nerf (WSC) it was a combo deck and post nerf it was a MR deck that was avg. at best, but Dragon Warrior which was a strong force at the time of the nerf? Yeah, it was simply too good for an aggressive tempo deck like that.

1 Like

Oh yeah, after the rotation post-nerf patron warrior wasn’t good but I remember the deck was pretty good even after the warsong nerf.

Yeah, it just switched to a MR deck (not really tempo imo), and it was decent but lacked the oomph to be anything spectacular like its pre-nerf counterpart. I still think it was mainly due to Dragons, the aggressive-tempo deck. And as others have said, in todays standard meta, with the removal options Warrior already has? I cant disagree with Execute being 2M.

IIRC the 2 big Warrior decks of the time (Execute nerf) were Dragons and C’thun/Fatigue, but that was a long time ago now so I might be mistaken.