Wargleaves of Azzinoth vs Water Elemental

Hi, I noticed a bug where Illidan would attack into my water elemental with Wargleaves of Azzinoth equipped but not become frozen after doing so. The freeze animation occurs for a second after attacking but then disappears, allowing Illidan to attack again on the same turn after trading into my water elementals.

that sounds like a bug to me

the additional attack makes it so DH gets unfrozen when the turn ends it shouldnt happen right away

What was on his field? And did he actually attack a second time or just end his turn?

Def sounds like a bug. Freezing needs to be a way to control attacking with face too. If he smacked his face in to a water else, he should have been frozen and unable to attack again. (Unless he has the fire ele that prevents being frozen).

I am reading that one of the Wargalives attacks is being lost, So you attack, then you lose one attack, then you get unfrozen and can attack again?

This isn’t right. If youre frozen, then youre frozen. It’s basically cheating you out of a freeze at no great loss to the DH. I believe this should be changed. Yet another example how DH is overtuned

this is one of those situations where a replay or screenshots would greatly help understanding the situation and what might have gone wrong.

this isnt the place for personal opinions about game design

I’m wondering if it’s actually just an animation issue as I don’t recall DH actually swinging again after trading into the elementals. Perhaps he was still frozen but the hero was just showing as unfrozen. It definitely appeared to be unfrozen before the end of the turn because that’s how I picked up on it.

I’ve got the HS replay link but it won’t let me post links here. He trades into the water elemental, freezes, the weapon breaks to leave 1 attack and an unfrozen portrait behind. Again, he was probably still frozen even though the game was showing otherwise because he didn’t bother to swing with the 1 attack.

On a side-note, wouldn’t swinging into the water elementals make the DH completely frozen until his next turn anyway? Rather than unfreezing once my turn begins?

frozen mechanic seems to be “you are frozen for your next attack”, which means your next hit with warglaives and at end of turn you will unfreeze because you have been frozen for your next attack. due to a lack of multiple attack per turn weapons this interactions hasnt been commonly known.

for replays etc: How to share links to screenshots, videos, and replays - #6

The HSReplay isn’t perfect as it speeds ahead when no moves are made but you can see on turn 7 DH’s final swing is into a water elemental, he freezes, the weapon breaks, he is left with 1 attack and becomes unfrozen before the turn changes hands (this was more obvious in real time but as I said, HSReplay speeds it up):

https://hsreplay.net/replay/JjrrnFEdrVGn2GCtTN9EJJ

It could just be a very niche interaction between multiple attack weapons and the freeze mechanic as you say, but the unfreeze before the turn ends is what seems irregular.

from what i can see he unfreezes at end of turn, in accordance with how freeze mechanic works with warglaives.

One thing to point out is that things happen on the server almost instantly, on the client side the animation slows things down, and the side whose turn it is not is a bit slower (because the cards played are displayed so you have time to recognize it before the effect goes on, etc.)

So your client software often receives information about what is going on before it is done displaying everything else before. For example, while my opponent is playing a card, I can see the arrow pointing at one of my minions, the card’s animation is done, then the opponent’s hero power is triggered (say, Rogue HP), and then they attack my minion with their face.

So what I suspect happened here is they issued a few commands (playing cards, attacking, etc.), ending with hitting your Water Elemental with their face, then immediately clicked end of turn. Because of the small delay, I guess your client received the information that the hero was unfrozen (due to end of turn) and displayed it almost immediately, even though the rest of the turn, and especially the “Your Turn” animation was not quite ready to be shown.

From the replay, all looks fine (hero was frozen after attacking WE, thus could not attack even though the weapon would have allowed it to, then unfroze at the end of turn since they had missed an attack).

1 Like