VS Data Report #136: A Cyclonic Meta Change

there’re only 200 players in it :frowning:
it takes way too much time to reach and to stay in it (it’s even worse now with tft and apex having a ranked mode)

nomi priest!!

You’re judging players for not reaching legend, yet it sounds like you’ve never had a top 200 finish. Anybody who plays a meta deck and spends enough time can reach legend. It’s far more difficult to get on the leaderboard, especially back when it used to count for points.

you can reach legend with 40ish games (less than what completing dailies requires), can you reach the top 200 with that amount of games? comparing something which takes no time to something which takes 10 more time makes no sense

Don’t worry. I’m sure you’re good enough to finish top 200. It’s just the time commitment that’s holding you back. Don’t waste your time reading the posts of us plebs.

1 Like

I got you and I doubt I’ll land top-200 again, I was just giving you a hard time. I’m content with getting legend once per expansion but I still keep notice if what is happening so I understand, to a degree, what I’m talking about. Others could do the same so my point was more about that others here hit legend as well even if it isn’t monthly =p

never said that reaching it monthly was required (some months can be really busy with no time for gaming, it’s the same for everyone) but some players can’t do it even once a year, time isn’t an excuse at that point

does it count if i reach apex predator this month? * _ *

My point is just because some of us haven’t hit legend in a while doesn’t mean we never have or haven’t gotten a high finish.

I used to play a lot, but I burned out. Riddler is a Druid main (I think), and you can’t blame him for playing less when Blizzard skewered his class.

Ladder meta is skewed because fast decks have an inherent advantage.

70% winrate slowdeck will get eclipsed by a 60% winrate fast deck that is twice as fast.

Win 7 lose 3 net 4

Win 12 lose 4 net 8

In the same amount of time, the fast deck is strictly better to play.

As a result, tournaments always look different than the ladder because tournaments make use of those Winrates more. On top of that, tournaments make better use of high variance decks that take a lot of player input because a top tier player is more consistent in their skill than the draws of a deck are. Basically, when your a pro, bet on your skills not on your deck to win.

Philosophically a good deck could be one that pilots itself like pirate warrior, or it could be one that allows a better pilot to win consistently.

VS judges the decks, not the players if that makes sense, because they have data on the decks.

Your math is off: 60% would be win 12, lose 8 for a net of 4. You’re almost certainly better off playing a slower deck if it gets you an extra 10% win edge; this is especially true if you’re trying to increase your legend MMR/rank.

As far as Shark rogue, I think the reason it has a higher skill cap has to do with the amount of card creation and variance in how hands play out. It also makes it hard to write a guide because you can end up in completely different scenarios based on which lackeys you get or which cards you get off discover effects. Even evolving minions can be very testing of your game knowledge; the most dedicated players know off the top of their head which mana slot has the best chance of taunt. The main mistake people make when playing Shark Rogue is holding out for too much value (the same can be said of Pogo Rogue).

Nobody in here is saying you are a garbage player. You are somehow failing to learn because you are equating ladder success with understanding a complex meta and all the factors that go into it. Get off your high horse.

You are also somehow not understanding that many of us don’t give a :poop: about having a Legend cardback, I meme far more than I seriously try to Rank up. I never tried to hit Legend, though I am hitting Rank 5 faster in the past few months. It doesn’t mean I am a :mouse2: brain idiot that isn’t doing his homework.

Wardrum and Lykotic just put a clinic on even more factors that differentiate the ladder, open cups, and GM. Learn.

As to your criticism that people don’t experiment enough, I do all the time. I just don’t try to ladder up with my Frankenstein decks when there’s a perfectly non punishing Casual Mode (yet I still end up correctly doing Mulligan there because everyone else are being try hards there for some dumb reason).

1 Like

Or who simply don’t really see any point in grinding out rank every month. Regardless, the meta decks populate both Ranked and Casual from top to bottom, and so a good grasp of the meta decks is beneficial no matter what mode or rank you happen to prefer. I don’t typically rank past 15, but even going from 19 to 15 I’ve seen Cyclone Mage, Control Warrior, Bomb Hunter, and just about every other deck.

3 Likes

Switched the numbers around, typo my bad.

My point being with ranked floors and winstreaks, as well as time you have available to play the faster decks perform better. That 10% doesn’t help when brute force comes into play. I picked those numbers so that the net was equal, not because they are realistic.

The gap in reality is MUCH smaller than 10%.

1 Like

Meta knowledge/awareness is vital to developing deckbuilding skills, as well.

Since I can’t really bring myself to rank up, right now, I prepare deck-concepts for the upcoming expansion.

Knowing the meta is my fun-enabler.

Feels bad to be priest-main, getting beaten up by everbody the whole time.
Why am i doing this to myself?

Tell me more Mr. “I’m not biased I just passionately defend Mage in every single thread they are mentioned ever please ignore my Avatar”

This entire class is easy mode bullcrap and you know it. You are so transparent it’s sad.

1 Like

Cry more bitter tears, Paladin pleb.

1 Like

any deck can reach rank 5 quickly because of the winstreak bonus

you still don’t know what grinding means?

Genuinely curious what some examples are?

1 Like

You see more of them between 20-10, I think. Below 10 it usually just a few meta decks in any given band.

So far, my favorite place to be is the rank 10 floor. People that are reasonably good trying out somewhat whacky decks.

Pogo rogue does far better at GM.

Bomb hunter goes really bad on whatever environment that isn’t ladder.

3 Likes