Upgrading Ashfallen to Demon Slayer Rank 5 was a mistake

I upgraded Kurtrus Ashfallen’s first ability Demon Slayer to rank 5 after holding off for some time. But I play him with Xyrella frequently. Her ability Blinding Luminance rank 5 (speed 3) reduces the enemy attack -8, and when a merc attacks after that they do not take as much damage.
Unfortunately, the upgrade to Demon Slayer 5 is also a 3 speed, but always goes before Xyrella. So he takes full damage.

When your Merc abilities have the same speed, the one you select first will always be first. So just used Blinding Luminance first and Kurtrus will always be after her on that turn

6 Likes

As stated above, when you have two mercs with the same speed it will go in the order you command them.

It also increases your chance to go before your opponent if you have two mercs at the same speed.

1 Like

Select Xyrella’s ability before you select Kurtrus’s ability. Then Xyrella will go first.

1 Like

In case you’re wondering if you missed any explanation: you didn’t. The game never explains this. It’s stuffed away in a hint before starting the game, and it’s completely by random chance whether you ever see that hint or not. There’s also a conflicting hint that states the complete opposite (that same-speed abilities go in a random order).

5 Likes

Not only that, but another loading screen hint say “actions with the same speed are chosen at random” without the caveat that yours of the same speed go in the order you select.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the conflicting hint I talked about.

Wow, my mind must’ve wondered and literally not read the last part of your post…I’m an idiot :rofl:

Yeah, I only ever stumbled into this when I noticed one of my comps that had millhouse samuro always triggered left to right first, until after a couple times fiddling with abilities we noticed that.

It was a bit fiddly but everyone was only using xyrella with samuro but when content is on farm, what’s better. 14 to one enemy and 2-3 turns to clear a round. Or 1-2? it was very nice to learn haha. XD

1 Like

Thank you everyone! Glad to know there’s a work around and that I am not nuts for banging my head against the wall a bit over it.

Really? This is stuff, that would be really good to know. I only knew that tipp with same speed=random. But if that is the case with your own mercs it is not that bad.

Thanks Blizzard -.-

There is a loading tip that explains this, but you aren’t guaranteed to get it. It’s one of the things the tutorial really should mention.

1 Like