Tired of all these "dishonorable = rig matchmaking" posts

Look, we all know Blizzard sucks. Don’t get me wrong. The issue I have isn’t dissing Blizzard, it’s the lack of logic and reason in their arguments. It’s no different than a witch hunt, and I mean a literal witch hunt.

Having bad character IS NOT PROOF that the person or entity in question is responsible. Being dishonorable does not MOTIVATE them to rig matchmaking. Nor does it explain WHY they rigged matchmaking (in the sense that people claim they are/certain decks are intentionally matched up against their weaker matchups, not their patented “poor players meet rich players”.)

Using logic such as “dishonorable = responsible”, I could say MM is rigged because YOU hacked it and changed it. After all, I’m sure you’ve been rude at least ONCE in your lifetime.

One of the arguments people love to bring up is Blizzard’s tax loopholes. NEWS FLASH: every corporation that has decent stock does this. This DOES NOT explain rigged matchmaking. This does however prove that Blizzard is a money hungry entity. So if anything, Blizzard would want matchmaking that’s diverse in order to promote more decks and thus promote more cards, or in other words random matchmaking.

The most absurd thing I’ve seen so far is that we’re somehow defending Blizzard as an “altruistic company”. It is precisely because they are UNALTRUISTIC and GREEDY that we can infer Blizzard isn’t rigging matchmaking.

Edit: I want to make it clear that while I personally don’t believe Blizzard is rigging the MM, this post is not about that. This post is about the fact that even if they were, none of y’all have any logical reason to believe that. The reasons offered up so far just make it seem less likely, not more.

ALSO, it’s clear people are trying to disprove me by simply stating MM is rigged. So I want to clarify, when I say rigged, what I’m really saying is rigged in the sense of what others on this forum are saying. Thus, unless rigging MM towards players with cards you don’t have CONSISTENTLY FAVORS A CERTAIN PLAYER IN A MATCHUP, then it does not constitute the rigging forums claim Hearthstone has.

So in other words, yes, I agree with y’all that Hearthstone does indeed favor matchups between people who own different amounts of cards. But that’s not the type of rigging people claim Hearthstone has.

4 Likes

I have said it before there is an element of rigging that is clearly detailed in their patents which are public.

For the last 2 days I’ve been facing hard counters to whatever deck I play. I’m a legend player in both wild and standard and somehow cannot get a win rate above 20% despite playing OP decks.

For those 2 days straight I’ve been getting mulligans were I’m not able to play a card until 3 or 4. Add that to the fact I’m playing against hard counter decks and it’s clear what’s going on.

I play poker and undersrand card variance and what happens in hearthstone is NOT variance.

As to how much its rigged I don’t know but to blindly believe they are not manipulating something is ignorant.

13 Likes

Yes, clearly the game is rigged against you. Blizzard has chosen YOU to suffer for no particular reason.

7 Likes

Blindly believing a 20% winrate is proof of rigging and not you being god awful at the game is ignorant.

Especially when you have rigging people saying the game forces a 50% win rate as well.

So which rigging person is right?

7 Likes

and when told they are the ones supposed to show proof of it because they are making the claim

they …well

4 Likes

Boy, that sure is a relief.

1 Like

the patent is irrelevant to the type of rigging most people are talking about. (i can’t link but as mention it’s public so you can read it if you want, mind you patents are written with their own conventions so much like academic papers, some seemingly obvious statements might mean something else).

the game is rigged so that you face players who have payed money (and have cards that you don’t have). it would be rigged if the game was p2w, but the same people that argue the game is rigged have also argued that “f2ps aren’t at a disadvantage and you just suck/have no skill”, so…

I didn’t say that the game was after me for no reason did I ? That 20% extended lose rate has come after an extended 75%+ win rate.

In otherwords returning me to the aimed for 50% w/r
U

3 Likes

Idk patent is pretty clear and I doubt they are not using it. I got zilliax from a pack so I decided to play the mech paladin deck I never had because I realized I could play it. Well reality is by the time I was playing it, was less than 1/1000 decks on the ladder according to every stat site. My first match however was against a player using the same deck, well virtually the same deck but a more premium version with Kangor’s Endless Army. So the system has recognized the deck I’m trying to play and matched me with a player with a more premium deck, which is exactly as the patent specifies.

2 Likes

nothing like anti-moralizing threads that greedily wolf down the bait

I’m playing shaman. Every game has to be rigged against me ;p

2 Likes

Well there is no coding involved in the balance of cards, nothing over complicatedly nefarious at hand there. Though it’s simply by design that whatever class they decide to be weak is weak. They have a panel of experts that analyze the cards pre-release and if they are as accurate as I am in my predictions, I can scan/filter for to know what at least 70% of the problem cards are before release. The classes they know that people hate to play against, or find less flavorful are generally always on bottom.

They probably actually have polled data on what people like and dislike card art etc etc, I for instance don’t like shaman art, they also probably spend less budget on certain unpopular classes, just a theory. So whereas they want to give the illusion that there are 10 playable classes, because in our minds it pleases us that there are several options, but in their minds it’s beneficial because it increases the amount of packs required : playable deck ratio. Like lets say you have a class like shaman and it’s unplayable, well you’re offering 10% cards in a class that is deemed unplayable. Actually shaman is not so bad though.

1 Like

Everyone already knows where I fall on this argument, but just for amusement,
what about Zephrys?
The fact that this card exists at all rather proves that Blizzard is capable of weighting the matching and draw were they so inclined, imho.
So if We all agree that is true, then We are left to trust that Blizzard could manipulate the matching/draw, but they don’t. Given this company’s past performance with the rewards system, I think players have a valid reason for doubt.

4 Likes

On the other hand, the fact that Zephrys was so buggy, didn’t give the right card half the time, and required a large amount of updating every expansion could also show that they are incapable of it.

4 Likes

Idk Zephrys works just fine 90% of the time given that you know how to play it correctly. My most hated card ever printed.

2 Likes

I dont disagree with that

And, let’s be clear: In order to be effective the Matching/draw algorithm hardly needs to be infallible.
They just need it to aid a 50% winrate.
Again. I don’t think that it is for bias. Quite the opposite.
I think it is impartial and exists to give average players a better chance.

1 Like

We know they can, and we’ve known since before Zephrys existed. Doesn’t change the fact that they have no reason to do it, and plenty of reasons not to. Sure, people have given reasons why it would be beneficial for Blizzard to do it, but none of those reasons ever make sense, because Blizzard isn’t staffed by cartoon villains.

That’s because most situations in HS have answers that are obvious 90% of the time.

If you need a big board clear, there are only so many spells. Ditto single target removal. Ditto weapon removal, secret tech, etc

1 Like

You know nothing about the scientific method if you think blindly believing they are is not ignorant either.

1 Like