Tips for grinding to legend?

School is out and I have a lot of free time this month. Currently at rank 4, I intend to get to legend this month or at least by the end of the summer. Generally I play with one of my three best decks (mrgl shaman, mech hunter, mech-token druid - control warrior if I have some youtube to watch on the side) until I lose, then switch until I go through all three. You guys got any tips?
I’m not asking for deck lists or tech options, just like ways to avoid tilt or when to switch decks / stop playing.

Here is what I tend to do when I want to climb.

• I stick to 2 to 3 decks just to force myself to focus on small tech options within decks and getting more use to playing to odd outs against bad matchups

• When you’re going to focus on a climb get something to focus your mind on that can be on the background. For me it is music but it could be other things for others.

• If you’re going to focus for a long session grab a snack and drinks and enjoy relaxing/chilling

• If you go on a losing streak (3) I’d take a break for 15-30 minutes and to something else. Avoid tilt at all cost

2 Likes

One nice tip that helped me when i grinded my legend:

Take a break after 2-3 consecutive losses after rank 3. This is where tilt kicks in.

I went into long lose streaks due to tilt before using this tip, but when i did use this, i evaded large lose streaks in the majority of the games i played.

Good luck!

Edit: Ninja’ed by lycotic. Great tips too though.

music, 2 steps from hell for example is perfect for this game

1 Like

Eat well
Sleep well
Avoid distractions(cell phones are bad)

Tip: Do not grind.

Twenty characters in a movie

2 Likes

Here are my steps I take when I grind:
Step1: Always emote, if your opponent doesn’t greet you back rope every turn until he/she does
Step2: Always check twitter and youtube while playing hearthstone, there are so much good stuff on there. (Remember if HS is not alt tabbed, you are not playing HS correctly)
Step3: Always assume your opponent has paid off Blizzard and has the best draws imaginable
Step 4: If you lose, keep in mind the opponent paid off Blizzard and the game was rigged.
Step 5: If you lose again, keep in mind your opponent has zero honor, running OP aggro cards to battle against your control deck
Step 6: if you lose for the third time in a row, tilt off the face of the earth, come on to the forums to flame some random guy
Step 7: If you lose for the fourth time in a row after flaming a random person, friend the person you lost to, apply flame for 5 minutes or more.
Step 8: Realize Hearthstone is a garbage game and just watch youtube instead.

5 Likes

and when you try to understand a person’s motives, do you play a little game? do you assume the worst too?

1 Like

I am playing Hearthstone with another person playing Hearthstone, what could be worst than that? Why would I not assume the worst?

This is kind of unlike my previous attempts; in the last month of YoTR i made it to rank 3 with secret paladin, going on like 4-5 game win streaks. I just ran out of time in the month.
This year my winrate feels like 55%~ ish, as in I win 1-2 games for every game I lose. So it really does feel like a grind

And here I thought reading your opponent’s hand and plays was a necessary skill.

Shrug

Skill in hearthstone?

How I know you’re trolling

I usually play 2 decks,sometimes 3. 1 deck is my " main" deck (bomb warrior in this case) and the 2 others are sub decks (many rogue variations and cyclone mage) that i go to when i get bored or run into a loosing streak ( does not even have to be counters,any loosing streak will make me temporarily switch decks). Then i play one of the other 2 decks for a bit but i always go back to my main deck relatvly fast. When hit a temporary wall then i just stop for that day, play arena a bit or do something else and continue next day. If you hit wall often then this is probably a bad idea and then it might be better to continue,all or not after a short break.

I also like short break after every game,to think about the game i just played and to load up for the next game.

.>

How I know there is… when you can look at a 60% WR match-up and think your Control Warrior builds can’t win when favored, heh

2 Likes

I actually have played more Murloc shaman into control warrior than the other way around. I can tell you, the warrior is useless unless it’s bomb warrior. If not there is no pressure during the whole match, as long as you don’t greed out and play angler for it’s stats instead of saving it for turn 10 value, you win the match 100%. The warriors I face just don’t have enough clears to clear waves after waves of my murloc. I just have to be patient and strike late game I win, if I strike mid game I am actually throwing the game.

Most other Murloc Shamans might not know the matchup as well as I do, due to the fact that they might not play control warrior.They don’t know the weaknesses of control warrior

Yes, if you mindlessly play murlocs and greed out for face damage you lose to control warrior

1 Like

Also yes dont grind. A sign of grinding and upcoming tilt imo is auto cuing and early resigning. When you start to insta cue faster and faster after every game,resign bad matchups on t3 to roll the autocue dice again hoping for something better,then you get in the danger zone. Though even this might work for some players. In the end you have to find what works for you,which is not neccesarily the same as what does and does not work for other people.

Save your salt for one of your own threads please.

1 Like

I fully disagree from playing both sides of the match-up in Standard and Wild. It is a competitive match-up but the Warrior should win (assuming equal quality draws) unless the Shaman creates 2 additional Anglers (for 4 total) . You have 4 AoE clears as the Warrior that will cause the Murloc player issues and if you slow-play the match-up too much the Warrior should have enough resources to “figure out” the puzzle more times than not.

It isn’t an easy game for the Warrior but the Warrior should win more than they lose against it. Vs’ has it as 63% r4 - Legend for the Control Warrior and HSR has it as 60% for r5 - Legend. The data and my experience say that your opponents are misplaying the match-up by, my guess, is from watching bad Control players, overreacting to mildly threatening board states

Edit:
Don’t play that card on me as I can probably play it back at you >.>

2 Likes

But you and I alone don’t decide the stats of the matchup. Someone might have a 100% matchup against control warrior as murlco shaman or the other way around, but that person doesn’t mean everyone knows how the matchup works and the total percent win rate might be different

How do you clear the normal non-angular minions that threaten lethal if bloodlust is played without AOE, please tell me.

It is exactly as Lykotic described.

1 Like