The Ultimate Problem Isn't "Overpowered" Cards; It's Synergy

Find the word highroll anywhere else in this thread other then your post just then.

1 Like

Ok so I see what you’re saying. But how do you release synergies for archetypes that compete with the insane synergy provided to existing decks without giving them cards of equal power level? You also neglected to acknowledge that this plan lacks immediate action which is a problem.

What do you think the synergy is causing. The synergy isn’t just winning by itself. It’s causing tempo so large that if the opponent doesn’t have a specific answer, the game is instantly loss.

Giant on 3, no answer? CC into a bunch of giants that you can’t clear. INSTANT LOSS

Barnes on 4, summon a 1/1, that summons a 10/10, that you can revive for 2 mana? INSTANT LOSS

There are plenty of cards with synergy, card games are based around it. Highroll synergy is just boring.

but that is a false sense of more choice because it doesn’t solve the issue. Basically to beat warrior synergy you have to play X synergy. Means in the end all classes will be created around 1 or 2 synergys max.
Boom was fine but now because of the additional mech he isnt, he wasnt overpowered but has become so. So now you “fix” that. Make the rush only apply to cards in hand on play and you no longer have a deck in which 90% of minions are actually clear spells.
You add an element of decision on when to play him as it because a case of when do i get the best value out of this battlecry rather than just mindlessly dropping him asap.
LPG and CC are solved by setting the mana value of a card at the value payed when you play it. If you play a card reduced to 1 mana then CC it you get 2 1 mana minions.

Playing any kind of threat that your opponent can’t answer is an instant loss, that’s the basis of playing a threat in the first place.

That isn’t an issue with synergy, that is a fundamantal part of a CCG.

I agree. Good thing no one in this thread has said otherwise and you are simply grasping at straws :wink:

You might need to catch up on your basic card game knowledge.

That’s just demonstrably false. If every threat caused an instant loss, comebacks wouldn’t even be possible. And no one needs to use the term highroll, because the concept the OP alluding are all examples are highroll

Can’t tell if you are trolling or have some form of learning disorder.

Good thing I didn’t say every threat is an instant loss, and you are yet again twisting my words and grasping at straws :wink:

The irony burns.

Stating that the solution to surplus of synergy is to evenly distribute good synergy to all classes alludes to no particular examples at all, that is simply your (incorrect) interpretation.

hmmm

I’ll take trolling for 1000, i’d like to double dip.

So were suppose to wait a few months and hope they print new cards with good synergy for new decks that can compete with it, and if they don’t? Wait another few months? When does that end, eventually it will just be “wait until dr. boom and his synergistic mechs be rotated out of standard”. Let me go ahead and uninstall the game until next year then sounds good.

Also there are new archetypes being built every expansion like we just got all these quests and highlander cards, and there will always be 1 or 2 classes that get tier 1 decks out of it while the others will be average to almost unplayable. The game will never be balanced where every class get decks able to compete with the best ones. Some say well if you nerf Warrior then the next best deck will just be the same, that’s probably right but I’d much rather play against highlander Mage, highlander Hunter or even some aggro murloc decks being the best deck than auto conceding to control warrior because I don’t wanna waste 30 minutes of my time to play games out where it was doubtful to win to begin with.

That’s usually just the nature of card games though. The best builds will always win out, because there WILL be best builds. I can guarantee with near 100% certainty that if you nuked all of the best decks currently, people will almost immediately begin complaining about the new best deck on the block and claiming that it’s equally broken. Besides, people forget that Boom rotates out in less than a year. And, synergy is perfectly fine for wild, because it’s meant to be the eternal format where all the best combinations of cards duke it out. Changing Boom actively harms warrior in wild where it’s currently pretty weak; if you look at the death knights (which made it through a full standard cycle unchanged despite everyone complaining about them), warrior is stuck with one of the worst ones, and Boom is about the only thing that can help a control warrior build compete in Wild. Getting rid of rush not only makes Boom laughably weak in comparison to pretty much everything else in wild, but just makes it a rather awful card in general, since you give up your turn 7 play and have no real way to contest the board afterwards.

My suggestions are mainly for the future, because once the Year of the Raven sets rotate, I don’t see anything that’s yet on the level of synergy we’ve gotten thus far in standard.

Reading comprehension is an important skill.

Except that people can still topdeck or discover any normal answer, you can’t do that with barnes or CC. Talks about reading comprehension, doesn’t seem to be able to process examples or scenarios, Bruh.

What? You’re saying that you can’t top deck an answer to Barnes or CC? That’s just plain untrue. For CC, just find a board wipe, and Barnes, preferably a polymorph effect. Both cards are answerable in the same way that any other threat is.

1 Like

Aaaaaaand you are back to avoiding the point, misconstruing statements and grasping at straws.

Begone, foul troll!

I’m sure that’s why barnes and conjurers has a 60+% played winrate. It’s because all those clearly not specific answers are so easy to find.

Nice job at completely missing the point. Again.

But they do exist. I’ve been a big advocate for printing additional answers (and I still wish that they would change Tinkmaster back so that you could target with it), and certain classes do have fewer options than others. But saying that it’s impossible to find answers is clearly false.

So the answer to highroll situations is supposed to be you highroll yourself. Tinkmaster was busted in it’s previous iteration. So if we just keep giving every class more and more powerful highrolls and answers, why not just turn the game into a slot machine. If I get a certain combo of cards, I can just win on the spot, and if you do, you win on the spot. Not metaphorically, literally. Because that’s the only place something like that is headed.

You’re not making any sense. If you mean “highroll” as in you find an answer in your deck, that’s always been the nature of card games. Complaining about that is to complain about the nature of the genre itself, and you probably need to find something that has less variance in it. If you’re referring to individual cards, I have no idea what you’re even referencing. Should we just have vanilla minions? Or do you want something like a tavern brawl we’ve had before where everyone is guaranteed to draw a card of the mana cost for which they have access to that turn?

No it hasn’t? Highroll refers to extensive mana cheating. Mana cheating will be in every CCG yes, but when it gets to the point that certain cards when played create a scenario that makes it all but only a few select answers can accurately overcome the tempo they provide, for very little cost, then it’s high roll.

It’s not a hard concept. It’s also happened in other card games that made them unplayable until they were balanced professionally. Turn 1 OTKs in yu gi oh, MTG had a few decks that routinely tried to win on turn 2. Etc.