The results of the quest mage nerf

So alot of people wanted quest mage nerfed when it wasnt strong and now you have to deal with fatigue warlock and massive zoolock when it was still played but kept in check by quest mage.
To me this is a clear case of be carefull what you wish for.

5 Likes

that fatigue warlock seems to be barely played

the only one i can find is handlock

1 Like

So lets buff mage questline to +5 spell damage to be sure Warlock is not gone?

The issue is, that some questlines were simply too strong and too fast. It is taking ages to put them where they belong. Quest mage should have started on +2 spell damage. Warlock should have started on 8/8/8 or 9/9/9. Warrior or shaman should have started on 3/3/3. Or make the rewards cost 7 mana, not 5, so it is harder to play them the same turn you receive them.

When you have infinite value and there is very limited counterplay (7 mana which you can evade quite easily with playing reward same turn you get it), it causes problems. Doesnt matter if it is mage, warrior or warlock.

5 Likes

No what i am saying is quest mage didnt need the nerf the deck was annoying but beatable the meta was not great but id much rather fight quest mage then quest warlock tbh
I would have prefered nerfs to warrior instead and hunter.

I can agree on infinite value arguement but in some cases its ok when the meta is slow like the galakrond meta.

1 Like

The problem with quest mage, and mage in general is that playing against an opponent that only casts spells and has little or no minions is BORING. The quest only exacerbates the issues because it requires mages to cast spells that have little or no value themselves, just to progress the quest. Then they cycle through ignite to kill you.

The class design is an issue. I personally liked playing Grand Finale Elemental more than quest mage. But that deck is a one trick pony.

2 Likes

I do understand it is boring to play against but i think the meta prenerf mage was better.

1 Like

For now. Its matchup spread its absolutely bonkers.

I agree that in the short term this nerf has done more harm than good. That said, the new cards are coming out and do we really want this deck sticking around another 4 months? I do think Warlock and Warrior need to take a hit too, before the release date.

1 Like

how do you know it will? i mean after the cards are released

How do I know what will?

I found myself having a positive winrate against quest mage, but god it was painful to play against it.
My turn takes around 5 seconds and the opponent is perma casting spells and drawing and discovering for 20+ seconds every time.
On the other side, I still find the quest warrior to be the peak of hearthstone, braindead, busted, elo inflating

It’s already not around now. It’s a barely played tier 4 deck. It is really bad. How much worse do they have to make this bad deck for people to be satisfied? It isn’t a factor at all in the meta anymore. The only place it sees any play is at rank floors because the deck is terrible. How is this still a real conversation people are having? I keep checking the dates on these threads because I find it hard to believe anyone is still seriously having trouble with quest mage and encountering it at any level of frequency to have any data on it

1 Like

I think he is refering to quest warlock and warrior but i could be wrong best he answer it himself.

No he’s not because later in that paragraph he says those decks should get hit too as if the tier 1 warlock and warrior decks were the same power level as tier 4 quest mage

Yeah. Because they nerfed it. Lol

Sometimes it’s best to make sure something is dead.

1 Like

Ohhh ok now I understand what you’re saying. I thought you were advocating for more nerfs to that deck. Took a couple readings to get the context. My bad

2 Likes

Considering mozaki mage and mordresh are both arguably better. Not sure what the tears are about. Quest lock isn’t the biggest deal. It’s still toxic as hell but beatable.

to be fair, most people that want to see Questmage gone also want the Warlock Quest deleted, both are just terrible for the game.

3 Likes

By barely played you mean 9% accross all ranks, only 2 classes being more than 1.5% higher than mage after nerf?

If it wasnt nerfed it would probably be 15-20% of the games and we would be meeting 5-6 mages in a row.

Thanks god it was nerfed, so I meet it now once in 10 games instead of getting it often.

Quests aren’t that bad … its the other cards enabling the stronger combos …

Mage: could spam spells that deal an extra 3 dmg …
Druid: can copy his reward to keep getting att/armor
Warr : spamming pirate is already strong …
Etc.

The quests themselves are fine , its the other tool , even worst in wild , that are available >.<

In my experience helping to shape meta game balance policy, a guiding principle has been “don’t leave broken elements in the meta because they counter other broken elements. Balance broken, then balance broken.” Mage wasn’t so much WINNING like a top meta deck, but what it was doing was exerting a tremendous pressure on the meta game to the effect of stifling any control strategy. To some extent, most meta games that are balanced tend towards an attrition strategy by the end of meta development, but that doesn’t mean we should’ve allowed quest mage with its absurd play rate to continue to keep control strategies out of the meta game.

Generally speaking, I think Quest Warlock, Quest Mage, and potentially Quest Warrior were tremendously poor decisions to release simultaneously (if even at all). I can personally add my name to the list of those who are taking a break from constructed as a result of the Stormwind expansion. Alterac seems like a continuation of the ludicrous power creep from Stormwind, so I’m pretty unlikely to come back until it rotates.