The new “Play games as Class” quests damage the game

Just had a game where my opponent played a 1-drop then hard passed until I killed him, with him giving a “Thanks” as he passed into lethal on board.

Yes, it was Casual, but no, this was not an enjoyable experience for either of us.

Doesn’t seem too different than the “play X [tribe/cost]” quests. I often make decks specifically geared toward completing them with no intention of actually winning whatsoever.

15 Likes

Two wrongs, and all that.

These seem far more common, and at 60g unlikely to be rerolled.

1 Like

At least it was quick if he ended his turn right away. I hate it when they wait for the rope to start burning before ending the turn.

1 Like

Otherwise, how would people complete warlock quests?

:rofl:

5 Likes

Agreed that’s not a great experience, however I haven’t faced anything similar, so I’m not convinced it’s a major problem.

I use my “play 3 games as X,Y or Z class” to try new weird decks out in casual, I’m not worried about losing, but I do try to win, and hopefully my opponent gets an interesting game vs Big Warrior or Zoo Priest and everyone’s a winner!.

The new quests are fine imo, some folks will misuse them, but in the majority of cases they’ll just encourage people to play the game and hopefully add some interest to casual at the same time.

Would it be more enjoyable if the quest was to win, and your opponent brought evolve shaman to casual?

Methinks not.

10 Likes

Not sure what the complaint is. The person gamed the system, and in such a way that shows that person really doesn’t desire to play the game of Hearthstone, but for whatever reason is queuing up anyway just to obtain gold. The problem is the person, not the quest. The quest promotes and rewards just playing a game. Which is what the user should be doing. Playing a game.

3 Likes

Methinks yes, as someone who plays vastly more Casual than ranked due to increased deck variety. Yes, I play against evolve shamans and whatever else is top meta, but it’s really not a big deal.

Except they’re not playing a game. They’re AFK.

Quests should not encourage not playing the game.

The ‘Play Games’ quests are way better. I haven’t seen any difference in how my opponents play the game, but I can complete my quests in a more predictable amount of time.

8 Likes

I think it is not the fault of the quest, the quest itself promotes playing either of the 3 class without the hassle of needing other requirements. It is great especially for new/starter players.

If it is the concern of game play, one should rather look at the underlying reason/s that makes it so for the players.

Daily quests’ primary function as a source of gold income, which peg to game play.

If the meta does not suit the player’s taste, then it is the core reason why players chooses a more direct option to complete quests.

The only problem existing is that the player is not given any option to re-roll that quest.

Happy to only play 3 games to get the stupid quest done in this terrible meta.

Back to battlegrounds for me!

6 Likes

Not sure what to tell you Mand.

The quest directs a player who can read to play a game.

If they choose to not follow instructions that is on them, not the designers of the quest.

Should Blizzard be promoting a game people want to play and not afk for in-game currency? Sure. Doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with the quest though. Why do you want Blizzard to force people to play and win games only to obtain currency?

3 Likes

I’d think that would be obvious, but that would have required reading my posts.

Guess that’s too high a bar.

This is really a non issue. For one, simply playing a deck means I’m awarded quest completion win or lose. Which means I can choose to play any quirky gimmicky deck I have come up with and still have fun and not think about winning, as opposed to just rerolling till I can queue in one of my top meta decks to complete the quest ASAP. Another is that I’m awarded more gold for doing so. And lastly, more classes means I don’t have to worry of rerolling as much since I have compiled a set of multiple classes and decks to cover most options.

On the off chance that someone concedes on turn 1, take the victory and move on. It’s far less common than you think for this to happen, and a game you win and get credit for can then proceed to the next which takes maybe another 15 seconds to queue in.

1 Like

First rule of daily quest club.What happens in casual, stays in casual.

4 Likes

Name any game, and I’ll show you a player afking in that game.

Mand literally named an issue that plagues every game in existence.

If Mand isn’t having fun in the game he’s playing, obviously the game is being damaged and we should all bend over backwards to make sure the game gets fixed.

4 Likes

So we should give up at trying to minimize it?

Brilliant game design insight, right there.

You are right, it was brilliant game design to add quests that incentivized objectives other than just winning games.

3 Likes

Hey thats what I do! Since my cards are so weak and you all you ever face 90% of the time are tier 1 decks in casual. Start the games up them them go - go afk and come back when they are done for 60.

I would concede 3 times straight but you don’t get credit for playing match by doing that.