The new expansion literally did nothing for me

Well… I mean, you don’t have to buy anything to play.

those are very, very small, as vendors make a huge profit. people regularly have no idea how small the logisitcs costs are compared to the overall price. if you want to go that way it can be argued that blizzard has server costs that must be covered.

those cards are what makes the boxes sell as they often are either a high impact meta card or a high impact staple

In a retail environment every layer of the distribution chain has a profit margin goal so the product gets marked up at each stage.

A normal retail markup is nearly 100% by the time a product gets to the store. This will vary by product, but there are a lot of costs that get added to the things we buy as it makes it way to the store.

Digital card games don’t have this issue. At most they face payment processing and platform fees. Blizzard owns its own Platform so even that doesn’t apply.

Rent of server and connection channel able to handle terabytes per hour is damn expensive. And they use Amazon’s cloud if I’m not mistaken.

Sure, but Blizzard is already running WoW, Overwatch, HoTS, and their other legacy games on the same platform. They aren’t some indie company trying to get their foot in the door, they are able to negotiate for server space and computing power at bulk rates.

i’m a CPA, I know companies have to make a profit to keep the lights on, pay their employees, etc. The cost of digital card games is just ridiculous though. Other gaming companies can keep up with their expenses and make a profit charging $60-$80 for their games that take significantly longer and more people to make.

There is no way to justify how much money it costs to acquire most/all of the cards in a given Hearthstone expansion. For the $80 “pre-order” they push now, you get maybe 5-6 legendary cards if you’re VERY lucky and you’ll still be missing many epics. Hearthstone is a fun game, but the monetization model they’re using has become a worse and worse value over the life of the game.

You are a Blizzard Simp. You literally sound like an executive at blizzard trying to convince that we should just be grateful for being able to log on. The truth is Hearthstone is grossly overpriced. Just because YOU think that “growing over time” is what the game is about doesn’t make it true. I think the game is about deck experimentation and deck building. The current system makes it impossible to do so, even after I spend $80+ on the game. Stop defending a corporation.

1 Like

Except a lot of people who are criticizing the system have paid. A lot. You don’t get good value from it.

1 Like

I am a free to play player, and I can experiment and do deck building. Actually i don’t like to play with meta decks, I always have a couple of those but I play way more with my own creations.
Some decks that I have: Quest Hunter, Highlander Paladin, Quest Chaman (with C’thun), Quest Warrior, DH Tokens and Token Druid. All of those decks have every single card that i would like them to have (exept for the warrior one, I would like the new Deathwing but I can work without it) and I am on my way to create way more, a “Four Old God priest” and an “Elemental Mage” are on the way.