The Defeat Screen

When I lose, I tend to be very aware of it. Usually, I will have just spent the previous 10+ minutes doing everything in my ability to stop it from happening. I do not need to be reminded that I have just been entirely dominated. I was there. I saw it happen.

There is no benefit that could possibly be derived from an unskippable defeat screen. It serves no purpose that was not already served by the defeat itself. It boggles the mind to imagine the countless hours of playtime that players have been forced to wallow in our own incompetence and/or bad luck. It isnā€™t merely salt in the wound, itā€™s a new wound entirely. It is my opinion that the defeat screen should be removed from the game or at least made skippable. The victory screen, obviously, should stay. The victory screen does not cause mental anguish.

7 Likes

Think of it this way. Hearthstone is meant to be a cheerful card game played amongst friends in Harth Stonebrewā€™s tavern.

So, think of the defeat screen as being the equivalent of your good friends in the tavern slapping you on the back and saying, ā€œDude! He kicked your butt!ā€

3 Likes

If a defeat causes you mental anguish I highly recommend seeing a psychotherapist. Defeats shouldnā€™t give you anguish, they should make you think about what went wrong, and how to avoid that in the future. And if it just was bad luck/RNG/a bad matchup, you should think just that and move on. Youā€™ll face many defeats in life, and you have to be able to cope with them.

7 Likes

Win and Loss screens are basically in every game. Its a natural transition back to the menu or the next game.

3 Likes

I agree with OP. We need an option to enable the ā€œDefeat screen safe spaceā€ mode. Being reminded that you just lost a game is just to much to emotionally handle in this day of age and Blizzard should be more sensitive to these instances.

The future is here, regulating emotions shouldnā€™t fall upon the customer when the product provider can provide options to alleviate or even minimize the impact that a loss can have on a players psyche. I want to feel good both when i lose and when i win and Blizzard should make sure to see to that.

Thanks for your attention

Be sure never to play dark souls my dude

1 Like

Psychotherapy isnā€™t for everyone. You might recommend they see a counselor, but going immediately to a single type of therapy is a mistake you arenā€™t qualified to suggest.

1 Like

I can recommend whatever I want thank you very much.
Besides, what is a counselor? In germany, we have very strict rules about psychotherapy, while everyone and their dog can call themself counselor. Leading to tons of unqualified counselors. There are different forms of psychotherapy, you can find one that suits your problem.

If youā€™re complaining that the defeat screen is too discouraging then you need to reconsider your life choices. Nice to be so fragile you canā€™t handle a defeat screen when you lose. Do you also want a participation medal friend?

I doubt they think itā€™s ā€˜niceā€™ like you assume. They probably struggle quite a bit with it. Everyone who posts is a person. Stop being rude for no reason.

1 Like

I just wanted to mention that the rightmost banner ring is wrong as the other three rings have gold material in them whereas the rightmost ring has blue material, also if you look at the victory screen that ring clearly has gold in the ring, I just noticed and thought I should mention

How about a Participant award?

1 Like

I think Iā€™d like to see an end of match stat sheet that shows things like my opponents; most used card\class or Average Time per Turn [historically, not just in this match] ā€¦ this would give us a much more in depth sense of the archetypes out there and what cards and styles of play are trending. #SezWhoRight

1 Like

You have bigger issues if something like this triggers you.
Time to quit and uninstall.

1 Like

Not in a game where the gameā€™s AI is the one choosing the winner/loser. It used to be that it was in fact the player who won or lost their games but in this heavy rng based game it is the AI that decides not the player.

In over 90% of all loses it is not something I did wrong as I had no control over it thanks to biased AI. Also please stop bringing is real life into a video game that is about as lame as it gets there.

Again, things you have no control over shouldnā€™t cause you mental anguish, so thereā€™s nothing to add to my suggestion above.
Also, you said it causes you mental anguish (in Real Life), so you dragged RL into this.

1 Like

1: I did not bring real life into this thread you did (or maybe your thinking of the OP) which I am not. So learn to read who says what.

2: So your saying that you should never get mad when RNG kicks your butt all over the place every single game? Or to put it in real life terms like you doā€¦ So if someone comes up to you and shoots you in the head and leaves you paralyzed you should not be mad because it was out of your control?

Exactly, because of what use would it be to be mad?

Some people canā€™t help it as they have mental conditions that do not allow them to not get mad. Yet people like you donā€™t care about them or their condition you think everyone is just like you and if they are getting mad they need helpā€¦ No amount of help will change that for them it is who they are and you need to apologize to those people and you also need to grow upā€¦

This is probably not a good game for those people :thinking:

2 Likes