The Dalaran Heist

I have over a hundred runs on priest for dungeon run. Nope.

I made it to Toki and lost. Had to start all over. Nope.

I did RR for the quest and never touched it again.

I wind up missing out on fun solo content. If they would have done them like the adventures and just rewarded us packs, it would have been a lot more fun for a lot of players.

At least let us earn gold while we’re beating our heads against the wall.

1 Like

This is why I’m considering not buying the adventure. Why not just buy packs, and get more value. And not have to be forced to finish this to get what I paid for.

I completed the original K&K dungeon with all classes, but not Monster Hunt because the bosses were so troll, and did not get far into Puzzle Lab or Rumble Run either, just up to the points where the novelty wore off, and it was no longer fun.

I think I would rather just get all the packs up front for the purchase, and play for the card backs and the golden legendary, which I don’t care that much about.

2 Likes

Either I am talented in the run or plain lucky then haha.

can’t be harder than naxx hm

the puzzles were great,

they should have really found a way to make them replayable

Let’s try it this way.

Before we had a decent reward for complete PvE.

Now you pay to play it.

Even if I count on the angle of who not enjoy it and not want to play it for exclusive stuff the rewards are bad as hell.

1. really to little.

2. And even being a little it still random.

It would be far more easier to let it pass if it was a decent amount of dust for example.

Blizzard is being clever and using what people said as reason to make a worse product and make people pay more for it.

That and only that because journeys not exist without a objective(even if a abstract one).

2 Likes

You are mistaking these adventures for resources.

Previously you got exact cards, a low number, but deterministic results. And a very limited solo adventure. This was good value though because the cards were highly competitive. This means though that they gated competitive content behind an additional price tag of what it cost to make the little adventure. ie. forced to pay for poor solo content to be competitive in multiplayer

Now the adventure has ZERO competitive content. If all you want are packs, buy the packs in the store directly. If you don’t want the adventure, don’t buy it. ie. you lose nothing if you don’t want the solo content, you aren’t forced to buy anything.

There is no point in comparing ‘value’ of this adventure with previous ones because this one is not hiding any value at all.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna take free wing and wait. For a long time. If this has another Toki in it, I will not go through that again (never beat Toki in I don’t remember how many times). If it turns out reasonable, I may go for other wings.

2 Likes

These are the the 5 E.V.I.L. decks from Zayle;

2 Likes

Sounds to me like Roguelike gameplay just isn’t your thing. (well, kind of Roguelike. Missing the permanent upgrade aspect, though Dalaran Heist seems to be incorporating that too)

I love them personally, 20xx, Slay the Spire and Wizard of Legend are some of my favorite games, so I’m very much looking forward to this and sometimes go back and do Dungeon Run, Monster Hunt or Rumble just because I like them

Note: Roguelike has nothing to do with the Rogue class and describes a style of game in which your goal is to get through a randomly generated game knowing that if you die, you start over. Most Roguelike games (but not all) have a permanent upgrade system to some degree wherein more things unlock over time or you can spend resources earned from your runs to unlock more things permanently that make future runs easier.

Like Dark Souls? And Sekiro?

The worlds aren’t randomly generated for those, but games of that style are often called “Souls-like” due to a resemblance to Dark Souls. Bloodborne fits that category too

I’ve never played Dark Souls; only heard of it…I have seen the term “rogue” in some of the games in the play store. Like a dungeon crawler, except you die and lose all your stuff.

Pretty much. For example, Wizard of Legend is a dungeon crawler where you can take four spells and a relic in with you. You find/buy more spells and relics and you’ve got to fight through 9 stages with 3 bosses plus a final boss to finish the run with just what you started with and what you found.

If you die, you go back to town with a secondary currency (found in the dungeon) you can use to buy more, stronger spells and relics so you can start with them and find them in future runs.

The replayability is the main selling point because the game itself is very short. You’re not supposed to win immediately and probably won’t for several runs, but you get closer each time and no two runs are the same. I can’t guarantee I’ll get to play a Claw build in Slay the Spire because the necessary cards just might not appear for me, so I’ve got to recognize potential builds early and go from there. For example if I’m given an early Blizzard I want to start drafting cards for a Frost build or if the first boss offers Snecko Eye, I should consider a high cost build.

Bad runs can feel really bad though, and 20xx initially put me off because I struggled to get to the first boss, but I got the hang of it and finished my first run a week ago.

Like I said, this style of game is not for everyone and if you don’t enjoy it that’s completely okay, but this might be why you’re not a big fan of the Dungeon Run style modes

In your example, you can go to the shop and buy stuff to help you.

In the dungeon runs there is no help. No save points, no switching out cards. You pick your bucket and face your hard counter.

Every boss is different so the boss you strategize for isn’t going to be the one you’re going to get…and there goes your strategy.

Just keep trying until you get lucky…and thats it. Nothing less, nothing more. I read the buckets. I synergize the best I can. But I’m always countered. Hard. By a boss I haven’t seen before. How many mf’ing bosses did they put in there???

8 wasn’t enough??? How am I supposed to build one deck that can beat them all??

It doesn’t make any sense. I’ve tried to wrap my head around it, but I don’t get it…

Right, that’s what I’m saying, the current ones have only kind of fit the model because there’s no upgrading. Heist will apparently have the ability to unlock other things to use in the mode though, which soulful mean it actually properly fits the genre

From the sound of it, Dalaran Heist lets you switch out cards via the Innkeeper. No save points, except I guess that this adventure is five wings and you can win the wings independently (though Monster Hunt kinda did that too).

Regardless, I enjoy the dungeon runs and I’m looking forward to this one. And Blizzard knows how often people play them, and they must like what they see given how hard they’re leaning in to dungeon runs in the Year of the Dragon…

1 Like

I hope this thing came out when I’ll be home after work today :open_mouth:

My main beef with applying the Roguelike model to HS is the relevant RNG aspect of the game.
It is par for the course that you could get into an unwinnable game through bad draws, bad matchup, god draws for you opponent or a combination thereof. That is just the cost of doing business for card games.

When you are however told to win eight games in a row, with the first 3-4 being very easy, I personally stop finding it fun. To use the Dark Souls analogy, you can often pinpoint “what you did wrong” when you die, or how to “git gud”. You never die because you randomly stopped being able to dodge.

My main hope is that they’ll at least try to mitigate this aspect for TDH.

Yes! That is what I was trying to say. Thank you! At the very least, show me the bosses I could get at each stage. I don’t need to see their decks. Just the name and the hero power. Give me an idea of what I am up against.