Targetted Healing Spells

You should not be able to heal off your own minions.

Uum, why not? That seems silly.

4 Likes

If a card says “restore X health to your hero”, sure.
If it says “restore X health”, why not?

5 Likes

Are you talking about lifesteal spells cast on friendly minions?

If that’s what you mean, I agree with you. You should only beable to target enemy minions with lifesteal spells.

Hmm… why? If you are will to sacrifice minion health for hero health, why not be able to make that play?

1 Like

Because it promotes solitaire.

It’s a situation where one would intentionally avoid killing certain minions or playing targets for the opponent’s lifesteal spells, but none of that matters if they can just bonk their own stuff.

Um… wouldn’t not allowing targetting your own minion give an edge to opposing minion-less decks? (Nevermind that I don’t agree with the characterization of “solitaire”).

Are an absolute design fail and should not exist in any form. At all. Ever.

Killing your own minions to advance your own win condition while also healing your hero is the definition of solitaire because it can’t be disrupted in any meaningful way outside of counterspell.

This type of action is the source of some of the most degenerate craptastic strategies in the game.

2 Likes

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. But you’re suggestion actually empowers those types of decks.

Um… you could kill that minion before your opponent does. Now if he plays the minion and kills it in the same turn, then that’s the combo play. It’s only available if he has sufficient mana for both cards. There are plenty of mechanics besides lifesteal spells that work by killing your own minions. I think it’s a great approach, particularly for the Warlock class which has thematically been sacrificial and self-destructive.

I do not.

Those decks don’t care. That’s why I hate them.

How many times have you watched a quest mage sacrifice it’s own minions or a hunter do same to advance their quest? You know, when you’re trying not to give them targets but it doesn’t matter because they literally don’t care what you do because their entire game is a race to their own quest.

1 Like

Well, if you give them targets, they complete more quickly. Not giving them targets may not stop them entirely, but it slows them down.

But I understand you don’t care for that style of play. That’s fine. I like it. I think there is (and should always be) a place in the game for those decks. Again, we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

But it doesn’t when all of their spells can go face or their own minions. It literally doesn’t matter and that’s the point and why the decks are so polarizing.

1 Like

Well, of course it does. That mana is now being spent less efficiently than it could. On top of the fact that you need to have drawn both cards. But you’re right… the opponent not playing minions doesn’t stop them from progressing the quest, but it does slow them, at least a little.

Not really. They are going to play their minions or they wouldn’t have brought them.

But if you play your minion and I do my same combo, I’ll kill your minion (that you spent mana on) and advance my quest and put a minion of my own on the board. If you don’t play a minion and instead draw or heal, you’ve gotten some value and I do my combo and simply advance my quest with no other value. Still a decent play for a quest deck, but not as good as also killing your minion and leaving a minion of my own on the board.

Spell mage says hi. Not only does it make sense from a deck building perspective, it makes sense form a lore perspective:

In every fantasy setting, there are wizards who conjure magical beings to fight, and there are wizards who lay the beatdown with a veritable arcane ton of magic raining from the heavens upon their foes.

The spell mage deck archetype fits the latter. Spell priest (an older one that hasn’t seen play in a pure form for a while) is a similar type.

How many times was that trash nerfed?

And quest hunter was smashed because it turned into basically no minion hunter.

This is a turn based TCG not an rpg. The sooner you people grasp this, the better it will be for everyone.

Yes, and you can interupt them and cut off their heads with giant axes and swords or shoot them in the back with magical arrows that kill them.

You have none of that in a turn based TCG so your analogy is a steaming dung pile of falsehoods.

Again, this is a TURN BASED game and rpgs are not the same.

What do you mean, “YOU PEOPLE?!”

Gandalf laughs as through fire and water, from the lowest dungeon, to the highest peak he fought…until, at last, (he) threw down (his) enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side."

Maybe if you’re lucky you might gank some apprentices, but not a real wizard.

Nothing personal, kid.

Calling people this is insulting and makes you look like a donkey.

I mean the moronic fools who can’t tell the difference between a turn based card game and an rpg, like I said in the original post.

Whooosh.

The point was that mmorpg games aren’t turned based, Gandalf.

You should get back to your pipeweed and get off the intarweb.

None of the QH decks were “no minion” decks. They were spell heavy, obviously, but they absolutely ran minions.

Real wizard? Wait… surely you’re not thinking Gandalf actually existed and was a real living breathing wizard, are you? Gandalf is no more real than Jaina or Khadgar.

1 Like