Stat Squish anyone?

WoW has done stat squishes more than once, and I was wondering if doing something similar is something that perhaps this game should consider in Standard? Seems to me every class is getting out of hand in terms of power, effects etc.
What do you guys say?

3 Likes

Squish, The Stat Monster, 2 cost legendary ooze 0/1. Battlecry - Destroy and gain all the stats and keywords of your board.

1 Like

what the hell is stat squish ?

also WoW is a MMORPG not sure how you can compare that with a collectible online card game ?

7 Likes

I’m not really comparing them, but Wow did an across the board stat reduction more than once, and I was wondering if such a thing would work in this game, or would it break the game, make everyone quit, etc?
To me, the power levels seem insane in this game compared to what they were even two or three years ago.

1 Like

I guess its the way they want HS to be. Insanely powerful turns, swing turns etc.

And with basic and classic cards rework I guess it would be pushed even more for this direction.

1 Like

I sort of remember hearing somewhere that they’re planning a BG MMR reset. But I could be wrong, I don’t perfectly remember.

1 Like

A stat squish happens when the numbers get too big, for playability. It’s purely for logistical reason. Anyone who raided 25 man heroic SoO knows why the stat squish, in WoW had to happen - such large numbers were causing back end issues.

In short, Mall has no clue why WoW stat squished.

6 Likes

Gear score so high, I can almost reach the stars.

Stat squish is mostly for UI cleaning and backend logistics, it makes no sense to apply to Hearthstone. The equivalent would be driving all the attack and lifepoints in Yu-Gi-Oh by 10; it has nothing to do with overall card power levels.

While this set is pretty high power, they’ve clearly demonstrated that the game can be balanced and varied in this state. I see no reason to make sweeping changes. In fact a common request they’re working on is to up the base power level in the classic set.

3 Likes

What a stupid thread. How in the world would you squish stats in Hearthstone when cards already have single digit attack and health values? What would they squish to, fractions? Decimals? Dang I’m 1.5 damage off of lethal.

Stats get squished in WoW to keep gear from scaling out of control and to keep the game running healthy. That’s not something that applies to hearthstone.

It sounds like you’re asking for the game’s power level to be reduced, rather than a literal stat squish.

We tried that already. It was called the Year of the Raven, and everybody hated how underwhelming those sets were, outside of a handful of cards (Genn, Baku, Zilliax, Dr. Boom).

1 Like

I know why they did it. i thought it was an interesting question to apply here.

They tried. That’s what Year of the Raven was, and in response people whined about the cards being bad.

Look what happened next…

1 Like

Yeah i suppose. I was just using the analogy to make this forum more interesting. All there ever is on here is “This card is OP. Nerf it.”
But, the thing is, (at least to me) the entire game is OP. Seems like it would be easier to just nerf all the cards across the board.
And YOTR was bad period. It wasn’t just the power reduction that made it that way.

I don’t know that YotR was “bad period,” but that’s when I started playing, so maybe it’s a matter of perspective. I’ve often noted Rastakhan, unimpactful as it was, still represents my favorite meta. That being said, whether Raven was bad or not is, IMO, besides the point: the power reduction was part of the reason YotR felt bad. Because most decks had no reason to abandon Mammoth archetypes. Truth is, for all the complaining people do in these forums, most people are uninterested in the kind of change necessary to lower the power level of the game. People want to have fun, and that means expansions that are impactful enough to reinvigorate the game.

Say what you will about the Year of the Phoenix so far, but both Ashes and Scholomance were impactful sets. Ultimately, that’s what the players want, so that’s what Blizzard will keep on doing.

Which is how it’s been since 2013.

True. I was just trying to reach for a different conversation.
To me every class is OP. They all have broken cards and plays.
I don’t know that I agree with the idea that if every class is broken then the game is balanced.

Some like Max can appreciate the whole post better than other whom will nitpick. But, overall, even those whom nickpick can also be nice guys/gals at times too.

Just be more careful in this forum, and take things less seriously.

Who’s taking things seriously? I haven’t expressed disdain in the way that the critics; (who never post anything of their own, and only live on here to criticize others who do have ideas ) have done.
I agree that YOTR was a bad expansion, but I’m not sure I agree that a uniform power reduction was the sole reason for it being disliked.

Sometimes, some stuffs can get to anyone, even if not malicious by intent or not.

Have a Nice Day everyone.

1 Like