Secret order trigger?

Anyone know for sure in what order secrets, with the same trigger, will go off? There’s an old post from Brode that says it depends on order played, but I just had them pop off in reverse order. Is it LIFO?

Which secrets were they?

I always thought it was order played, as in FIFO. LIFO wouldn’t super surprise me either, but that may be because I’m used to chain links in Yugioh

itks the order in which they have been played
for example if i play mirror entity the runes and opponent plays a minion. entity triggers first

rune is in wild now

but there’s a very annoying exception it’s counterspell & spellbender. No matter the order you play them, if opponent casts a targeted minion spell, counterspell always procs firts

In this example I was using Freezing Trap and Explosive Trap. I wanted Explosive to trigger first, so I played it first, but Freezing triggered first. Im going to test it some more and see if I can confirm its LIFO

I tested it a few times with several traps and it was all FIFO. I figured I must have just been mistaken, but I just checked my replay and I played explosive first, then freezing, and freezing triggered first.

It’s possible (but don’t quote me on it) that there’s different trigger priorities: since Freezing Trap triggers anytime a minion attacks, it will take precedence over Explosive Trap, which only triggers when a minion attacks a hero. That would be the only way I can see FIFO being overruled.

1 Like

I did get Explosive to trigger first, but I just realized I didn’t test that with a creature that survives the 2 dmg.
Yep, its still FIFO. Explosive triggers, then Freezing bounces the attacker if it survives.
Maybe that initial game was just a glitch shrug

If you played Explosive first, then Freezing; then both should go of (in that order) if the enemy tries to attack your face, but only Freezing if the enemy targets a minion, and only Explosive if the enemy attacks with their weapon and not with a minion.
There is one special case where the attacking minion dies because of Explosive; in that case Freezing still tries to trigger but there is no target so it fails. (You don’t see this in the animation; on your screen it is simply as if the secret was not triggered at all).

Yes, thank you. I think I now understand how this is supposed to work. However, the incident that prompted my initial questions still appears to be an anomaly. I played explosive first, then freezing as my opponent had a 1/1 and another large magnetized mech. He attacked with the 1/1 first and I expected the explosive to trigger first leaving the freezing to protect me from the mech. Unfortunately, the freezing triggered first, popping the 1/1 back to his hand, and the explosive never triggered.

This is kind of of an obvious question but… what did the 1/1 attack?

Nicely done, you nailed it. I just watched the replay again. He attacked my creature w the 1/1, which wouldnt trigger the explosive.

1 Like