Rattlegore and The Nameless One Interaction

When playing The Nameless One on Rattlegore he becomes a 4/4 Rattlegore. After killing the 4/4 copied Rattlegore a new one is resummoned at 8/8. Rattlegore’s text is that it is resummoned at -1/-1. The intended outcome is a resummoned Rattlegore with stats of 3/3.

The new rattle gore is the old one without any buffs or debuffs combined with - 1/-1. If you Nameless One a 9/9 he becomes an 8/8 because being a 4/4 was effectively a debuff. If you use him in a 2/2 he should come back as a 1/1.

3 Likes

I disagree. The phrasing is incorrect if they intend it to be that way. Think about minions that have something like Deathrattle: If this minion has more than X attack, this and that happens. It does not care what the minion started as. It is based on the stats the minion has at the moment it dies. I lost a VERY long control matchup today simply because my opponent used Nameless One on my Rattlegore. I was aware that even though I used Lord Barov to change its health to 1 it won’t just die and not come back, but I expected it to be a 3/3. Which is already contrary to what the card text says. If I kill a 4/1 rattlegore, and I deduce 1 from attack and health both, I get 3 and 0, not 8 and 8. This is simple math. Same goes if Rattlegore is buffed to 18/18, the resummoned one should be 17/17. Purely because this is what the card text says. If they intend it to work this way, they should create smaller and smaller versions of Rattlegore thats card text actually says the statline of the next rattlegore it will summon upon dying. Dear Blizzard, please fix this, because the card is not doing what it says it would be doing and it’s costing people games…

Yes I suppose it can be clearer to state:

Deathrattle: resummon this minion as a 7/7 (or whatever). Much clearer.

It could definitely be clearer. They did that with jade golems and should have done it with Rattlegore.

Sloppy? Perhaps. Incorrect? No way.

If you want to read the current wording as “it comes back as its current stats minus one”, then think about what should happen if you play Rattlegore and I cast Pyroblast on it. Its stats are then 9/-1. Subtract one, it comes back as 8/-2 and insta-dies.

Funny how everybody expects that the health magically resets, but expects other stats not to.

Your example “if Rattlegore is buffed to 18/18, the resummoned one should be 17/17” makes no sense at all, because an 18/18 Rattlegore is alive and has no reason to have its Deathrattle go off. For a 9/9 buffed to 18/18 and then damaged to 18/0, there are two logically consistent interpretations: resummon as 8/8, or resummon as 17/-1 (which of course insta-dies).
All other interpretations lack logic and are therefor just wishful thinking.

Yes, it could have been clearer. Ben Brode has, a long time ago, mentioned on the record that it’s sometimes a deliberate choice to be a bit vague and leave the details to be discovered by the players.
I personally think in this case, since there are two logical interpretations and only one of them makes sense within the game, that this one should be pretty obvious.

But yes. I do agree that confusion would have been reduced if it has been spelled out exactly, the way they did with Jade cards.

Sorry for the late answer, I was not on the forums for quite some time.

But I still do not agree with what you are saying completely. My point is that you should take the base statline when calculating the -1/-1, damage should of course not play a part in this. If you modify the stats with spells/battlecries/other abilities permanently, you change the base statline, and when someone summons a 4/4 rattlegore (via the Faceless One) that starts out as a 4/4 , and it says resummon it with -1/-1 and it comes off as an 8/8 is just ridiculous and not correct on any level. It was never even a 9/9.

That’s nice, still not a bug.

How is 4-1=8 not a bug, my friend?

because thats not how its deathrattle works. if you write a long card description describing how the card exactly work (that would make its card text very long) it would be:

deathrattle: summon a 8/8 rattlegore with deathrattle: summon a 7/7 rattlegore with deathrattle: summon a 6/6 rattlegore with deathrattle (etc etc for a few loops)… with deathrattle: summon a 1/1 rattlegore.

2 Likes

Or, bear with me, you just write “DR: summon an 8/8 rattlegore”.

And on that 8/8 rattlegore, you write: “DR: summon a 7/7 rattlegore”.

Not that hard…

that would cause another step of confusion because your card text either means that the next copy of rattlegore dont have any deathrattle, or that it has the same deathrattle as the original rattlegore

It could definitely stand to be more clear but it works as intended. It’s one of the many things you have to learn as you go. In that instance it’s like “cast when drawn” stuff or weapons being active on your turn and thus able to kill minions who get directed to your face.

This makes sense… I remember vaguely that this info is also found in the HS Wiki in the advanced rules section. Which by the way I need to re-read lol… so that some interactions I’m still working to keep em there up in my noggin’.

https://hearthstone.fandom.com/wiki/Advanced_rulebook