Quest Warlock is Too Dependent on Plot Twist

A ~Quest~ that is really only completed by drawing 1 of 2/30 un-tutor-able cards is flawed.

2 Likes

It really needs the threshold dropped to 12 range.

4 Likes

Trueā€¦

but the deck is a ton of fun to play when you just want to relax.

Yesā€¦ Thatā€™ll do nicely

8 Likes

I love the deck and have a decent working version that got me to 5

2 Likes

Any less and this card would be busted due to the synergy it has with Plot Twist. This card would have made a whole lot sense if it had less draw requirement if Plot Twist wasnā€™t printed. At least with Warlock Quest, itā€™s still playable instead of that garbage Hunter Quest. That class is still 0/2 on playable quests (both of which I happened to pull from packsā€¦)

1 Like

Quests are highly dependent on a few cards for completion or for the payoff; itā€™s the nature of quests.

Yeah, they need to change the Quest to the amount of times you draw (perform a draw action), rather than the amount of cards you draw. This way the draw number can go down to a far more reasonable number. Itā€™s indeed as you say: a Quest that requires the activation of a very specific card is flawed. Quests are supposed to be about general actions.

1 Like

From Vicious Syndicateā€™s report last week;

" Quest Hunter has seen some experimentation after the patch, with Firebat being the most notable player to have success with the archetype. After looking into its builds, we think Knife Jugglers are a bit overrated and generally weaker than Hench-Clan Hogsteeds. Sea Giants are very good and offer strong board swings, especially in faster matchups. Quest Hunterā€™s issue is the Priest matchup, which is absolutely horrible. We think thatā€™s keeping the archetype from gaining further traction."

So there you have it. Itā€™s not necessarily that the Quest is bad, itā€™s that it loses very hard to, unfortunately, the best deck on ladder. By a lot. Keep your fingers crossed we see a second round of nerfs / Divine Spirit to HoF, and the Quest might very well make a mark on the ladder.

As if anyone needed more reasons to want DS/IF out of Standard.

1 Like

Another thing is secret/highlander hunter is pretty good against combo priest, which is another reason why you might as well play secret hunter over quest. Quest hunter is unfavored against highlander hunter as well as control warrior.

Quest warlock is my go to deck at the moment. As others have said, tonnes of fun and it is possible to compete against everything bar hunter decks

1 Like

I like Quest Warlock.

I just donā€™t get why more of the community doesnā€™t have a problem with a Quest that MUST to be completed by drawing 2/30 cards.

The whole appeal of the other New Quests is you donā€™t have to pray to RNGeus you draw a 1/30 like you did with Deathknights/Dr.Boom.

Quest Shaman, Quest Druid, Quest Paladin, etc all have extra cards for redundancy that make completing the quest CONSISTENT rather than reliant on drawing a 2/30.

Oh you mean that Hunter Quest whose deck is, to my surprise, on high tier 2 and is performing even slightly better than Mech Hunter currently according to HSReplay? You mean THAT ā€œgarbageā€ Hunter Quest??? :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, like the druid quest that requires you NOT to play cards, the rogue quest that requires you to steal spells from your opponentā€™s class which is what you would have done anyways, or the shaman quest which buffs your battlecries and requires you to have battlecrie minions in your deck, which you would have included anyways to benefit from the quest reward.
Wow. Those classes indeed have to make big sacrifices to complete their quest!

3 Likes

And Warlockā€™s sacrifice is including 2 plot twists? Thatā€™s too big of a sacrifice?

Warlockā€™s sacrifice 1/ IS an actual sacrifice 2/ needs to be in your hand.

I love the quest as it is. I even disenchanted Hemet in my Reno Mechaā€™Thun Warlock for it and Plot Twist. In late game 2dmg taken with hero power does a huge difference, secondly sometimes I do draw a combo piece with new hero power so I donā€™t have to pay 6 mana for Thaurissan, thirdly, 0 cost cards make it easier to get rid of your hand reducing the risk of burning combo piece.

Not all sacrifices are obvious.

Quest shaman has been horribly underperforming because early game battlecries are not well statted. So its tempo negative in a way. The reward also costs mana, and is used to make a yempo negative card suddenly tempo positive. Butā€¦by spending 2 more manaā€¦youā€™ve also just added negative tempo back into it.

As a result, decks which dominate the tempo game (priest comes to mind) bully it.

Rogue quest is also doing poorly for the same reason. Its a lot of turns that dont put stats in play. The reward is cool, and does help a ton for recovering that tempo, but you sacrifice a lot running burgle cards at all, really. Only 2 are good and one of those doesnt trigger the quest in a mirror.

Hunters quest, however, is purely positive. You only lose 1 turn of tempo. In exchange you get to have a nitrous injector added which forwards a massive spike in tempo every turn for the rest of the game.

Nearly all of the quests demand a big sacrifice, whether you personally understand it or not.

Iā€™ve been playing the deck a little, and honestly, itā€™s pretty rare I donā€™t combo with either Dorian or Betrug. Thatā€™s not to say thereā€™s not room for a few other cards to improve the concept in future expansions, but reliance on plot twist doesnā€™t seem to impede the deck a whole lot.

1 Like

Mmm.

To some extent, I absolutely agree that a deck idea reliant on one card to work is inherently a bit flawed; these kinds of decks are usually combo decks, not value decks.

That being said, the risk is that one day cards will come along that make the hero power better, something along the lines of an Archbishop Benny or a Toggā€™s Scheme for Warlock, the sorts of things where drawing 0 mana cards could be dangerous, but kept in check because it is currently reliant on Twist to work well.

The ideal might be to buff it now while it is weaker, and to restrain it again if a future expac makes it out of hand, but that arguably bears its own issues.

1 Like

There isnā€™t an issue with being forced to pay/spend 1 Plot Twist for me. The issue is both Plot Twists being at the back of the deck preventing the completion of the Quest in a reasonable time frame.

I have no problem spending 1 Plot Twist without even drawing Dorian/Betrug yet just to complete the quest in 90% of matchups. Dorian/Plot Twist on curve could be called overpowered.