Quest decks have turned the game into trash

And I guess always having a pitchfork up and high is fun for you.

I love to call out the BS arguments that are constantly thrown out. I am personally baffled by this Quest Shaman hate, it’s nowhere near as oppressive as Mage or Warrior were. Has there ever been a meta where you weren’t all worked up about a deck or two?

So does Control Warrior. Mech Hunter. Token Druid etc. etc. They all play the same and they don’t use Quests. So, basically every meta deck ever. It’s almost as if well refined decks will always play the same with next to no variation or “creativity” or “surprise”… So, what’s your point?

Eer, you still do? Whether you played Questing Explorer the next turn or not. It’s not like it’s guaranteed to be in your opening hand. And once the quest is completed it’s just a River Crocolisk.

Bye. No one cares.

1 Like

Yes? But I’m not sure if I understood you correctly. I think the answer is yes? Or would no be better?

There is certainly some truth to this. Exaggerated to be sure, but there are definitely many examples of this.

But to be fair to the OP, what if his thread were titled “Why I Don’t Like Quest Decks” and it read more like this:

That still conveys the same point, right? Certainly you can filter it. Maybe you can perhaps comment on the more substantive portions.

Personally, I happen to disagree with the OP. I enjoy the Quests. I’ve always enjoyed Combo decks, and I find that Quests are similar in the sense that you play one style and then, after some event or series of events, your playstyle dramatically changes where you play with much greater power. So I wonder whether the real issue some folks have is with Quests specifically or instead with the Combo style in general, because I don’t see the Quests as anything more than another means of creating a Combo style deck.

2 Likes

Some of quests are way too powerful, some of them unplayable. They are failed mechanic.

1 Like

Some reborn minions are too powerful, some of them unplayable. They are a failed mechanic.

Some plagues are too powerful, some of them unplayable. They are a failed mechanic.

Some twinspells are too powerful, some of them unplayable. They are a failed mechanic.

Some magnetic minions are too powerful, some of them unplayable. They are a failed mechanic.

Some deathrattles are too powerful, some of them unplayable. They are a failed mechanic.

Some battlecries are too powerful, some of them unplayable. They are a failed mechanic.

8 Likes

Some video games are really successful, others barely see play. Video games are a failed concept.

4 Likes

What a salty posts…

Some people are very successful, some of them fail. Humans are a failed species.

5 Likes

After taking your comments under advisement, I have come to the conclusion that I just don’t like Hearthstone.

1 Like

I think the quests would be more balanced if they didn’t start in the opening hand. Hearthstone is the only game that I know of where the powerful engine based decks get to start with their engine in their opener. In the other games I play its not guaranteed and you have to mulligan to find it, or pack loads of draw to dig for it, weakening the decks considerably balancing out their late game power. In this game you get to have it in your opening hand always, and can build your deck to compensate for the early game requirements. It also doesn’t help that the early quest requirements in this game are super easy to get if you aren’t mage or warlock.

If Quests didn’t start in one’s opening hand, they’d have to get a significant power boost because the chance to not even draw a Quest until Turn 10 (you’d have a 50% chance of naturally drawing into it by this point if you hard-mulligan) would be more than enough to make any of them unplayable. Purposefully hampering your deck and building it around a specific card that you won’t draw until the late-game half the time makes for a terrible strategy.

2 Likes

Actually, the Quests in Uldum (save for the Shaman one) have the inverse effect - they’re actually kind of weaksauce. The payoff for them is nothing near the game-changing nature the Un’goro quests are.

Warrior goes from having a mean quest reward with Sulfuras to an absolutely pathetic one that doesn’t provide nearly enough of a threat. Mage goes from having a Time Warp to take an extra turn to having Primordial Glyph without the choice. Warlock - nothing changes. Rogue gets a quest that has nowhere near the strength that the first and second versions of The Caverns Below (though to be fair, that’s a good thing). Druid goes from having a Quest that goes with one of their big strengths of pumping out huge minions to this absolutely weird one that gets **** on by control. Practically the only winners here are the Paladin, Priest and Shaman ones. Paladin gets an insane Quest that gains value as time goes on, Priest has a quest that is easy for them to attain, and then Shaman.

I can see Shaman’s quest going from 6 minions to 10 minions to slow down the Quest a bit.

People keep saying that, but what about paladin? Reborn minions are great value, and you only have to play 5 of them and then you basically are unstoppable.

Basically unstoppable?

Are you sure you wanna roll with that? Because thats pretty far outta pocket, and someone will call you on it. The deck isnt doing well now that warrior isnt 50% of the meta.

1 Like

I mean, probably a bit of hyperbole but yeah, I’d be curious to see what its win rate is after turn 6-7. It can certainly be rushed down by a lot of decks in the meta, but it has a lot of healing and basically unlimited sustain.

My main point was just that in turns of payoff, that’s a better quest reward.

Play Quest Druid as Malygod and now Control isn’t as much of an issue. I actually think the Druid Quest is fairly decent in design overall.

So go from a ~51% WR deck to a ~44% WR deck?

2 Likes

I really hate that quest druid has to have only 4 unspent mana to complete… It is always done by turn 4… But then it is passive… SO, they don’t have to use mana to activate the hero power… I feel like it should be exact opposite… DON’T use mana to complete your quest… Once completed, they should have to use hero power to spend 2 mana to activate… because they can flood the board so easily and so quickly… OR, all quest should make HP passive once completed, and obviously the hero power has to work with it… For instance, instead of Mage getting a cheaper spell, passive should just add a random spell regular cost… OR make it even more interesting a random spell from any class… Half the time we get useless crap with quest hero power anyway.

I guess really, I just don’t understand why druid choose ones after completion is passive, while shamen battlecries trigger 2x, is not… anyway, druid, rogue and shamen quests are very easy to complete early… I think that is what is getting most players all upset…

1 Like

:slight_smile: Glad I am not the only one who sees wash rinse repeat play so boring and that every game plays the same.

For Quest Shaman: some decks run Former Champ, some don’t. Some decks rely more heavily on Giggling Inventor for stall. You’re going to see Sludge Slurper and Weaponised Wasp for any Quest Shaman that has lackeys. I’ve tried an Elemental based “budget deck” in Standard casual. In Wild you have more synergies that I doubt a single person has gone through exploring all of them yet. Still haven’t got around to playing a Jade C’thun variant :stuck_out_tongue:

For Quest Druid: popular decks have homogoenised around the same Choose One staples - eg: Nourish, Oasis Surger, Wrath. Some variation as to whether you run Power cards for the late game like King Phaoris and/or Nomi. More tokeny variants are hardly seen, even though they can still be good. Maly Druid variant. Combos with Elise?