Pro player tweet about powerlevel - agree or disagree

This is a bad idea increasing the powerlevel of cards the majority of the playerbase me included i dont think we want more powercreep.
We should make our voiced heard balancing the game based on the lowest percentage of the playerpool - the most skilled we cant deny that - is not always the way to go.
Do you guys share his sentiment or disagree ?

I don’t understand the context of the comment, is this player commenting on arena or standard format, or is he implying recent changes have formed a standard meta that is very much like an arena meta?

In any case, assuming it’s a comment in reference to archmage rune molding standard meta, I tentatively agree. It’s not exactly fun to play against and honestly not that fun to play with. It can literally randomly reset boards every turn, no matter how large or big, and big spell mage can cast it every turn pretty much, thanks to how much mana cheating and spell copying they have available.

He feels then the standard meta in hearthstone feels like arena and i disagree with him and feel most players would.

3 Likes
4 Likes

People will never be satisfied. It’s never going to be just right for everyone. I am sure they are other pro players that like this meta.

1 Like

Funny you should say this, this appears to be a common sentiment, but if you listen to the latest VS podcast, they actually go into discussing this very thing. Ridiculous-Hat (who seems mostly like PR guy) basically proposes what you are saying, but he is rebutted by Zacho (who I am assuming is a stronger numbers/data guy, and may follow the pro scene more closely than Hat) who says Pros actually hate it, it triggers their PTSD from all the clutch games they lost to Hearthstone’s randomness and they get tilted very easily by it. Its one of those cards that gets under the skin of even the most hardened pros it seems.

Note, I’m not a pro myself, I play the game very casually, so I can’t comment from that perspective. Even so, I despise the card myself lol, its your typical coin flip the game card that HS devs seem to love; however its biased somewhat to favor the casting player which makes it much more powerful (especially when repeatedly cheated out turn after turn) than previous incarnations of similar effects.

1 Like

I meant my comment to be more about overall Power levels not about Runes specifically.

That’s all outdated.

Zacho is canceling the VS report for this week because the meta is changing so much with Prince.

I can’t remember any one of the pre release Legendary cards being this meta impactful.

However, Zacho has been mentioning that since the expansion released the decks they’ve been pushing have (generally and with exceptions) been low skill.

During the meta last week No Hands Gamer expressed that the skill had become more about evaluating random outcomes than making difficult mechanical decisions.

Now it’s become even more about random outcomes. We’re back to Lunacy Mage levels of RNG.

5 Likes

I agree. And I can say that I don’t think it’s healthy for the game.

3 Likes

pro hearthstone players KEKEKEK sponsored players

3 Likes

Sorry but if anything he is saying the opposite.

Arena decks are basically curving decks with nothing special.

So no. This isn’t a “powercreep” issue.

Actually the main solution to his issue is powercreep.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean I’m surprised no one in this thread has mentioned the fact that power creep is basically necessary to sell packs…

Like…

I kinda liking were renathal goes nowadays exactly because of that.

Devs taking courage to design different things other than “pick a card from 3 random ones”.

We need the rules of the game to be toy with more often despite of the risks.

While it isn’t my cup of tea (no , i not like long matches) i hope they not stop only because part of the population not likes this specific iteration of that type of card.

It’s a entire new possibility in the realm of digital CCGs.
Actually the design team need congratulations for thinking out of the box and putting it online.

5 Likes

Need to quote this because i need to also put a personal insight on this that i know some people will hate but here we go.

1. Hearthstone itself never had “less RNG”. It’s just that now we live enough to reach the point of the game were it happens.

Before you only could see that if you did play against high RNG and low cost cards.
Now were dealing with high RNG and High cost cards.

This isn’t exactly the same issue because higher cost cards are supposed to have that type of impact.

I not know how to deal with this or even if it should be deal with after thinking about.

1. The skill set in the game changes from time to time.

Not only that but we know exactly were the RNG hate did lead us past year.
I hope to not experience UIS again even if that means have to deal with spells like rune.

Yes. It’s healthier in my opnion.
For sure it’s far from optimal but still better.

The vast majority dont, those top players enjoy busted decks they can pilot better than everyone else.
Its all about time and efficiency they want the most broken deck possible that comes with a decent skill ceiling.

Any type of balanced meta is not good for them.

I think “Pro” hearthstone players opinions are interesting but should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt. They are outliers who experience something way different from the average user. I don’t care what “pros” think, professional hearthstone (like tournaments) is a joke. Streamers play the game too much and that increases their salt production dramatically. When pro’s cry about rng or mage, i feel like they want the game to be something it isnt. They want to play magic the gathering or something but hearthstone has ALWAYS had rng and mage has been in the dumpster since it is constantly berated with nerfs if it so much as breaches tier 2. So no, i do not agree with this guy. In fact, the only thing bad about arena is the deck power discrepancy. If standard is “arena like” then that fixes that issue and can make potentially unplayable cards decent. I get rune of the archmage can be frustrating but i bet the decks this guy plays are just as frustrating to play against.

2 Likes

Yup, as I mentioned in another thread I like the design of this card even though I haven’t gotten around to using it yet…

Like…

This card in a sense is a old direction tried before with Baku and genn(that failed miserably).
But with a more sentitive touch.

You create a level of field for decks that should not play the same game and that is actually good for the playerbase itself.

Imagine if you could play a Magic deck against a hearthstone deck and they somehow be balanced against each other?
It’s not too different from renathal effect.

If they take this with care that can be the next big thing after discover.

3 Likes

UiS showed why draw RNG is an important part of the game.

When you make a win condition something that will be happening on turn 6-8 every game because the card starts in your hand, it sharply changes what kind of decks can be viable.

UiS questlines are the extreme negative of linear gameplay.

Going full on random as your win condition feels equally bad. How you play out a match often feels like it doesn’t matter when X card generated Y card which generated Z card that beat you.

There’s a lot of space in between these two extremes though.

In the sense where what’s happening to you feels largely out of your control, I understand some of that sentiment.

I disagree that it’s arena feeling in the “best on curve minion each turn wins” sense, because we haven’t had that kind of meta in a very, very long time.

2 Likes

No one said otherwise.

What i said is that it still better than UIS experience.

Actually i would love if mage moved from that specific gameplay pattern. But…

That would require people also evolving to the point of not rant on simple cards like ignite just because fatigue is denied by putting bad extra cards in the deck.
It’s a 2 way type of deal.