Priest is the most unfun and frustrating class to play against right now

No kidding. I can’t remember the last time my priest beat a rogue.

Standard Priest experience these days is “You lose because your opponent drew 10 cards and you could only randomly generate 5.” Because random generation is totally better than drawing from your own deck, so let’s give bad cards & no burst to the random generation class and good cards to the people who draw their whole deck in 15 turns.

1 Like

That’s not a priest thing. That happens to anybody facing rogues, followed by DH

Certain locks, druids, mages, warriors, and shamans could build for card draw, but they tend to give up something for it. They’re somewhere in the middle.

Paladins could build for draw, but using up precious deck slots for anything but hand of a’dal feels more costly than the above classes.

Priest and hunter are at the bottom end of running or having draw (not that they have none, inb4 crying about savenger’s). Hunter handles the problem by trying to win before they run out of steam. Priest handles the problem by trying to stall and defend and not die before they can make their big value plays.

1 Like

Spell Druid draws 5-10 more cards than me and then two turn kill me with giant boards & savage roar if I don’t have removal in hand. Warlocks draw 10 more cards than me and then blow me up with Malygos from 20+. Warriors get 10 extra cards off Battle Rage from empty boards at the start of the turn.

Priest has big value plays? Are you judging the whole class by Res Priest despite it being less than 10% of (Edit: Priests on) the ladder? Priest’s big plays are to generate a bunch of lame minions and flood. The most important play in Galakrond Priest is to just stick a minion and put Apotheosis on it. It’s a Tempo deck who’s Tempo depends on neutrals, randomly generated Priest minions, and a couple randomly generated Priest spells. And if, at any point, this chain of random generation is broken the deck is gimped. Because they can’t draw into the next link in the chain.

If Gala Priest had access to big minions on curve, it would certainly run them.

I beg to differ, Rogue is ruining the game. Blizzards ridiculous dev’s team should be fired, why do they insist on making this game about rng and their own personal favorites instead of balancing the game!? so that all classes can be evenly competitive. Rogue is stupid and needs to be nerfed down a bit. My last several games have all bee against rogues, why, because people want easy wins with brain dead decks to play. None of the decks I have seen using rogue are different. Just start tossing lackeys , the game does not provide enough aoe removal for other classes to deal with the amount of minions each turn, not to mention the amount of removal and control they have given this class. I agree Priest is a tough class to play against, but it is nothing like RNG Rogue.

“two turn kill with giant boards and savage roar if I don’t have removal” also happens to everyone, not just priest. Note that priest is one of the few classes with an answer to boards protected by soul of the forest (others being shaman plague of murlocs and mages amazing reno)

By big value plays, I mean plays that give you value and card advantage. Be you tempo or control, a priest has to pay heed to card advantage, as the class lacks the card draw to keep themselves fueled if they over extend or sacrifice too many of their minions in trades.

Contrast this to hunter, who have in the past and perhaps present have more leeway to sing the SMORC song (no trade me go face)

No, I am not. My comment is not aimed at any particular priest deck.

Bro, I said that months ago.

Just git gud, TC. Priest is currently a tier-4 class on HSReplay.

I don’t think Priest ever really has card advantage, tbh. Half the ladder is drawing more cards from their deck than Priest can generate. Your hand clogs up while you remove their cards 2 for 1 or better, and they still get more cards out over the course of the game.

It sucks that they finally design Priest right, and it still doesn’t work well because they decided to give 5 classes massive draw & mana cheats. I swear, they need to buff Priest Galakrond to reduce the cost of the Invoked cards by the 2 mana I had to invest in it by playing cards that are behind the curve or by using the hero power.

I don’t play Rogue, so I have no bias here. But isn’t it generally considered one of the hardest classes to play?

By card advantage, I do include 2 for 1 or better, not just who has more cards in their hand.

If it’s simply filling their hand, rogues and locks come to mind as the top right now. The latter apparently isn’t as common or have as good matchup spread, so it’s just mostly rogue with their draw-7-cards-that-cost-zero. Other classes fall on a spectrum. The point here is, everybody has to deal with rogue draw, so the “I’m getting out drawn” problem isn’t unique to priests.

If these crazy draw decks are such a problem, then nerfing those decks would be more fruitful than buffing priest. It helps some other classes who struggle against them too.

Then… start playing more cards? If you have that much in your hand, you can afford to play more cards and grow your board. Or even start NOT trading 2 for 1 all the time, so that of your weaker dudes die to make room for bigger dudes.

It’s a balancing act.

As for buffing galakrond priest power… as above, I’d rather the ridiculous stuff other classes have get toned down (not fully committed about nerfing rogues, but I’d keep an eye out on them should the DH/hunter/warrior meta changes). If it’s about giving weaker classes stronger stuff, paladins, shamans, and druids are even lower than priests on the totem pole right now.

I’m running into kind of a lot of the Quest Maly Warlocks and Spell Druids in the ~1000 Legend range. More than other Priests, but that might be just because Priest games take so much longer

VS hasn’t put out a list in quite a while so the numbers I’ve got are old, but Spell Druid and Galakrond Priest were looking at pretty similar numbers in the stretch of time before the nerfs. Since then, the favorable Warrior match for Priest has diminished and the unfavorable Highlander Hunter match has spiked, which going by the existing numbers is a very favorable change for Spell Druid.

Maly Locks didn’t really exist until recently, but the report says that Quest Lock was promising to be better than Control Lock. Not really saying much. I imagine there will be a report on Thursday and we’ll see if that supports my beliefs. There are some players saying that Priest is quite strong, but if that’s the case I must be playing it totally wrong.

Haha. If only it were that easy for a Priest. Everything’s conditional.

As someone who plays a HL/Galakrond hybrid, I have been known to do this…especially if I’ve just gotten done with 1 or more long games. It’s not uncommon for that deck to run all the way out. Now I don’t mind a longer match, but anymore I have to look at every match against another priest as if it’s going to take at least 25 minutes. Sometimes I simply don’t have the time to play like that so out comes the autoconcede. I will also auto-cede on turn 7 if you’ve rezzed that infiltrator or grave runed it.

Im glad im not the only priest player who commented here. Im also glad we can all have good healthy disagreement/dispute.

I would love too but lets see, this hits a minion 5 or greater, this kills only minions with 5 power or greater, this kills 3 or less, this deals 2 dmg to everything but will kill nothing. This silences something/everything but nothing is buffed yet. Playing this into the current board helps them. Or best of all they are playing all Cant target this minion, so i have nothing to target with my removal

Have you not played as/against druids and mages?

I dont think at most times priest can contend with the meta enough to be considered a problem class(I said most not all RIP Reno Razakus).

Everyone playing it must be playing t wrong except the one person that plays with them. since it winrate is so low, even with the buff of people auto concedes.

Someone just had Legend 1 with Gala Priest, like, last week. I’m sure the standings have gotten worse up there, seems like more and more people are playing Maly Warlock lately. It’s horribly one-sided because, you guessed it, the Warlock draws 10+ more cards than you and then OTKs you.

Because Maly and Alex should TOTALLY still be in Standard, they aren’t causing problems year after year. And drawing 0 mana cards totally isn’t busted at all, either. Aw, drew Maly before you could make it 0? No problem, just Plot Twist it back into the deck.

Like I said, though, I don’t think that Gala Priest is that awful. I’m lingering in the 1,100-600 range with it. But it’s painful to look at your opening hand and know you have to draw like a god to have a chance in this game. Too many games are decided by what you get off your first couple Invokes, and if you even draw any.

1 Like

And then redraw it with the same plot twist

2 Likes

Good point. Priests just constantly pull out board clears and drain you of your will to go on. It’s a battle of attrition, a test of patience and your ability to not overcommit. They’re probably the class that gets the most concedes.

Rogue just combos you to death out of nowhere, using multiple cards that didn’t exist in their hand the previous turn, making it impossible for you to play around it.

An interesting difference. Not sure which I prefer. Probably rogue, least my hair doesn’t grey waiting for the end to draw near.

1 Like

Except Sage was telling me that galak priest is about generating a bunch of “lame minions” and the game plan is to “vomit” them. But now you guys jump to talking about cards (mostly spells) with conditions.

Note my wording: “filling their hand”, which is both card draw AND card generation. Rogues are obviously at the top when they have both the draw and lackeys and card stealing. Locks depending on their deck also have access to some combination of lackeys, draw, and card gen. To top it off, they (well, mostly rogue) can keep their hand filled while throwing stuff at you and/or removing your stuff.

Note another thing : me saying rogues and locks are at the top doesn’t mean I’m saying other classes have it bad. They fall on a spectrum as I first told Sage.

After the warlock completes his quest, every card he draws costs zero mana. That means that plot twist sends Maly to the deck at 9 mana, and then returns it at 0. Supreme Archaeology makes every cards you draw cost 0. Plot twist shuffles first, and then draws second. So once Supreme Archaeology is online, playing plot twist makes every cards in the warlock’s hand and deck cost zero for the rest of the game.

Zero mana Malygos blowing you up is not a fluke. It is not a heart of the cards trick. It is a 100% guaranteed result if you’re playing a slow deck that can’t pressure the lock in time. Galakrond Priest’s biggest problem is that it’s worst matchups are beyond horrible and there’s nothing it can do to fix that. Quest warlock is basically an auto loss. Priest stands less of a chance of beating quest warlock than odd warrior did at beating a mechathun deck back in boomsday’s initial release season. That’s how lopsided the spread is. And Mage’s RNG, Rogue’s galakrond generation, warrior’s draw, hunter’s pressure, and even libram paladin all give the deck a very hard time.

Galakrond Priest is a tempo deck. That means it’s best matchups are against aggro and midrange decks. Anything that has an OTK, massive burst, and even other control decks is a pretty a brutal fight.

… Do you even know how the quest works?..

2 Likes

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
thank you for the laugh

You know what ? I’ll be nice (or fall right into your trolling) and tell you what the quest reward is :
it changes your heropower to a 2-mana cost active heropower that does “draw a card. Set it’s cost to (0)”

1 Like