Priest Card Generation

Just finished a game against a priest that randomly generated 24 helpful cards.

It’s easy to label this post as “I lost, go complain about it in the forums.” But lets have a serious discussion. Is the amount of card generation that Priest has ok? It feels impossible to play against sometimes.

16 Likes

I despise the entire value random game that they play. It’s essentially solitaire and every third or fourth card is something they play on the board.

I would love to see them move away from that style of play to where players actually have to put some answers in their deck instead of just fishing for whatever they find in Dora’s magical back pack.

14 Likes

I find it a bit excessive, but Priest gets no card draw so the cards have to come from somewhere. I wish they’d tone down draw & generation for all classes to the point where it feels like decisions matter more, but limiting just one class in these regards means you end up where Shaman is right now; unable to compete.

13 Likes

I don’t understand why people are so bent out of shape on the discovery cards. I find them to be fun and have a more random feeling on the game. Priest is a fun deck, not much of a competitive one. I like playing priest even though I loose more than 50% of the games. I also play paladin, warrior and Mage.

I think that’s one of the reasons why priest is hated so much, it is just unfair seeing how they get ridiculous ammounts of value and not being able to play against anything related to that class. Because they discover into discover into discover into lethal/perfect answer and it’s pretty frustrating. I think there is a reason why the limit card per deck is 2 I shouldn’t have to play against 4 soul mirrors or 5 apotheosis. And raise dead was a disaster, 0 cost get 2 minions, reaaaaaaaally? (that 3 damage is insignificant, even combos with a lot of bs)

7 Likes

That’s the issue for a lot of folks, they purely lose to rng

3 Likes

No, it’s out of hand. That’s a pun but I’m not laughing. I hate this Priest meta.

3 Likes

Because discovery/generation cards are often budgeted noticeably better then card draw, which is normally fine. After all you would usually want a spell you put in your deck vs. some random one.
But with the Priest spell pool being what it is after rotation and new core set, you have a very strong chance of just generating a spell you wanted to draw from your deck anyways.

1 Like

Paladin: 22% of the ladder.
Priest: 9% of the ladder.

So I’m justified in calling this a Warlock meta, then? They’re almost 11% of the ladder.

5 Likes

Yeah, its true, the pool is strong.

Priest is a tier 1 deck that is extremely powerful

Okay.

Priest is a tier 1 deck that is extremely powerful if you know how to play with near infinite resources often generating multiple copies of very powerful cards such as 4 or 5 soul mirrors over 1 match while simultaneously reducing their cost.

Warlock is a tier 4 deck which is literal dog sh*t into most of matchups, while priest is a tier 1 deck. Warlock is the priest only unfavorable matchup. It’s funny how low ranked people complain about paladins while those at high legend complain about priests due to how good they are in the hands of capable players.

2 Likes

https://media.tenor.com/images/73cca45a93f91944b2c9fdd4b05c3c53/tenor.gif

4 Likes

I never said it was only a priest meta. Do you think I don’t see mage and paladin? I’m saying that I hate this current priest meta. The internal meta of the class. It’s not res anymore, it’s random generation.

So no you’re not justified.

1 Like

Priest only just crawled into Tier 2 last week in the VS report, thanks in no small part to a few percentage points drop in the Warlock population. Warlock is, according to VS, the worst deck to ever warp the meta; Priest should’ve pulled down Paladin if not for that one match and the stubborn dedication of a significant chunk of the playerbase. If Control Warlock behaved like any other T4 deck, we might not have even needed this round of nerfs.

2 Likes

According to tempostorm priest is tier one. It matches favorably into all agro decks. A priest meta would be way worse than paladin meta with the oppressive potential priests have in the hands of a capable player. We actually need a warlock buff in order to keep priests in check. When you have a class capable of randomly generating endless flow of cards and reducing their cost while clearing your board times and again, healing, putting minions on board, and while at it even paying your car insurance, then that is a problem.

3 Likes

Anyone who doesn’t think Priest is Tier 1 atm is delusional. It picks up game versus every meta deck with no hard counters outside of tickatus.

It’s like rogue requires alot more thinking than faceroll paladin meta which results in many mistakes. The higher in legend you get the more oppressive Rogue/Priest are.

6 Likes

Miracle Priest is a low T4 deck by the numbers. That’s why I go to VS, they use numbers not feelings. You can either say it’s a high skill deck so a lot of people play it wrong, or you can say it’s just a bad deck, but the numbers are what they are. Control Warlock is performing better.

Control Priest is succeeding at Legend because of a favorable meta. “No Warlocks” is part of it, but most of the things that beat Priest get beaten into the ground by Paladins and Rush Warrior. Priest itself isn’t strong, it just once again finds itself in a symbiotic relationship with the top decks. Priest can 50/50 or better the top decks, and the top decks are so strong that Priest’s bad matches can hardly get there. Nerfing Paladin and Warrior will absolutely bring down Priest’s winrate as well. It’s not independently strong, it’s a counter deck.

The Giants builds might fix that, with Priest finally running some threats, but it’s too early to say with any certainty.

4 Likes

Considers taking up priest.

Classes like mage, DH and rogue are capable draw your entire decks before get the 10 manas or very soon after that.

Warlock hero power and paladin cheap thining secret from the deck is not far away from the 3 already mentioned.

And your problem is the poor priest struggling because need to find an extremely good card in all of your discoveries to be able to keep it up? Really? What you want? Shaman 2.0?

If priest have a card like Jaraxxus maybe this complain make some sense but is not the case.

1 Like

Obviously you never played high legend. Paladins and warrior are both board based and priest has more than enough clears to deal with both and outvalue them, not to mention 0 cost Illucia wrecking your entire hand. You say priest isn’t strong, tell me one class that beats priests consistently besides warlocks and agro rogue and sometimes mage? Actually the reason why mage and rogue do good into priest is because they dont rely on minions.

2 Likes