Players, and Hiding their Names

I don’t wanna sound weird, but i’ll be playing against other users… and when they show up for a match Their User name won’t show up, it says “your opponent” instead of the “players name” and my question is… how do you do that… hide your account name, so players can’t see your actual user name ?

This happens to me quite alot lately… i’ll play Ranked, or Normal mode, and the user will hide their name… and the only name that registers is “your opponent”

It makes me wonder if the person is a bot… but if you say Hello, or something they actually reply… So… i’m just wondering how do you hide your account name.

And is it Legal… seems kinda Shady to me… that you gotta hide your account ?

I can’t see why it would be illegal, assuming that option even exists for players and is not a glitch or bug. And I’m pretty sure Blizzard makes sure everything they do with their games are legal.

1 Like

I mean there are bots, and multiple users with multiple accounts, i just don’t get the point in hiding your user name… I mean… 2 out of 10 players hide their name, so i dunno just seems odd, i’m not shaming, or saying they’re doing bad things, i’m just not sure what the point in hiding your account name is… ya know ?

Maybe they are streamers and don’t want u to know it

That means the player set his account to appear offline on the bnet app.

Theres nothing else to it lol

6 Likes

You can turn on/off “streamer mode” by pressing ctrl+shift+S

it can be due to a disconnect. it can also be that the player is streaming and dont want stream snipers.

I didn’t know you could do that, thanks for the info, i’ll keep that in mind next time it happens…

i thought they were hiding their account for some odd reason, or because they don’t wanna get caught… I dunno… i’m probably thinking too much about it… but least you can set it up to not show your account…

Caught on… What?

Yes. You’re.

1 Like

he’s obviously not using streamer mode. He said HIS opponent not himself as well.

Ahh i don’t really use streamer mode either… Unless the actual bnet service streams your games for recording purposes…

I’ll probably just keep it as it is… like i said i was just confused, i thought people were hiding but now that i know what is going on… no worries, sorry if i offended or upset anyone… I was just curious… heh… if you never ask questions you’ll never get the answers you seek… but still, if i upset or offended anyone, i apologize heh… just wasn’t sure what was happening.

Thanks for all the help though !!!

they do it here in this forum too. Hide their account, that is.

1 Like

That means the player set his account to appear offline on the bnet app.

Theres nothing else to it lol

Literally this. People can have any number of reasons for wanting to play anonymously. Usually they just want some peace and quiet, so they go offline to get away their friends list sending them chat messages for a time. It’s a perfectly valid reason.

Pretty sure “you” only shows as your tag if you’re the one in streamer mode, otherwise your name displays as normal. So, indistinguishable from offline mode to the opponent.

Really? I’ve never seen anyone post as “Your Opponent.” Pretty nifty trick if they can pull it.

which is why I said his opponent chose to appear offline.

he was pretty evidently not on streamer mode.

How so? Both will show me as “your opponent” on my opponents display if I have it on, only mine will display my tag as “you”.

Sigh… guess I’ll have to explain.

OP said this happens often… if he was accidentally on streamer mode, that would’ve been happening every game, which isn’t the case.

Also he never mentioned anything about his name appearing as ‘‘You’’

Which concludes the fact that he is meeting opponents who choose to appear offline, which isn’t uncommon.

If his OPPONENT is in streamer mode it is indistinguishable from if his OPPONENT is in appear offline mode to him.

If you queue into to me while I am in streamer mode, your UI will have my tag as “Your Opponent” and your tag as “Bee”. You cant tell, as my opponent, if I am in streamer or offline mode.

I wasn’t clear. There are players here who know how to hide their previous posts, etc.