Opponent animations eating up my turn timer

Why in gods name does my turn timer start while my opponents animations are going on? Is it that hard to program it so my turn timer starts when their animations complete?

Just lost a 20+ minute competitive duels match due to Xyrella having a 75 second animation and I was given no time to respond.

3 Likes

This is a problem in BG too. Late game reborn, secrets, and Leapfrog make turns unbearable. Not to mention animation lag in the Tavern.

2 Likes

Overall no, it’s not particularly hard. Most digital ccgs know when 1 turn ends and another begins and can separate animation times accordingly. Blizzard is notorious for being bad at coding though.

4 Likes

Good tip: close your game and rejoin, it’ll skip the animations in traditional and bg

1 Like

+1

A lot of the animations are fun to watch (anyone see the vid for the new Hunter spell, Stranglethorn something, sooo cool), but it’s still a game with a timer wherein decisions AND actions must be made. Every player, no matter what animations are occurring, should get their time.

You could do this, but I think the devs need to do something about it already.

2 Likes

You don’t lose any time on your turn when you are waiting for the animation to finish, when it’s your opponents animations that you are waiting on. If it’s your’s however, some animations can backfire if you’re not being mindful of your time.

Wrong. It totally can take up your time if they have animations that continue after their turn is done.

If your opponent lines up a bunch of animations right before they rope, it does cut into your time.

No, it does not take up your time at all. If your using HSreplay, the timer will show that it goes past their allotted time while the animations finish, However, as soon as it is your turn you will have the same time allotted that you had, and always have for each of your turns. Your opponents animations do not take away from your time and that is fact.

The only exception to this was when there was a bug that was locking playing out of their turns that blizzard has already fixed, this happened a while back a couple expansions ago.

No, animations have always been able to eat into your turn timer from your opponent’s turn and the so-called “only exception” was just the only one where it was egregious enough to skip your turn at the time. HS deck tracker only sees what your client sees, and sometimes your client doesn’t know your turn started yet while the server (which doesn’t see animations) does.

Their “fix”, known as slush time, involves some effects adding some predetermined amount of time to the next turn when played (in order to counteract their animation time coming out of their turn). It works sufficiently well in some cases (such as shudderwock never skipping anyone’s turn even when making a turn last 15 minutes), but fails in other cases (such as reno the relicologist on a lifesteal bittertide hydra zombeast being a known turn skip).

The moment your opponent’s turn ends, your turn begins. The moment you see your turn beginning, it already started earlier and you’ve lost time not being able to play cards because your client still thought it was your opponent’s turn and was watching animations (while the server keeps track of your time, not your client). This can be fixed by quitting and restarting (or doing it faster with windows firewall, since HS takes so long to start), as you reconnect and skip all animations.

No they do not eat your time. That is 100% false.

There are times when I sit there waiting for my opponents animations to end, and they at times go on for a long time. However, never once, have I ever lost any time for any of my turns regardless of how long my opponents animations went on for. The only time I would not get a chance to responds is if they killed me in the same turn, and the animations are just playing out till it shows my death.

You absolutely do not get penalized for the length of your opponents animations.

That’s slush time giving you extra time that more or less counterbalances the time you lost. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t (though it’s pretty rare for the deficit to be enough for a turn skip). This is all documented btw, all of the misinformation that you’ve presented is falsified by an easy google search.

Show me a hsreply that shows you losing out on time.

HSreplay replays don’t show the timer, how about I show you a video instead. www. youtube .com/watch?v=RH2wYi8XaDk&t=786s

HS replay may not show you the timer in the replays, however, you can see how long a turn goes on for by using a stop watch and pressing start, than stop when the turn starts and ends. You can see the length of the turn on the grid below the cards.

Dude I am sorry but you are wrong.
Turn eating animations are a problem since ages and it never got fixed!

If you got a good mobile device, try it out, it’s way more obvious on mobile.
On mobile bg is pretty much impossible to play at 6.5k-7k rating.

In most standard games animations arent a serious issue, it’s mostly just a few seconds you lose.

For a matter of fact, your turn starts when the rope ends.
Any animations displayed after that suck into your turn timer.
As pointed out above, they add time to your turn timer for some of those animations but not all.
Also on mobile animations often take longer to process and cant be click skiped, so the problem occures frequently.

Yea he’s just ignorant. He clearly didn’t play back when shudderwok would take up people’s turns. Same with nozdormu.

Oh, good lord, I hated those times, made me take a break from the game for a good bit.

The game doesn’t always reconnect to the tavern. I’ve tried this MULTITUDES of times and it just would say ‘reconnecting to your game’ for upwards of several minutes and even then it could just as easily decide it COULDN’T reconnect and you just wasted your time even further.

There is no guarantee WHATSOEVER that disconnecting for even as quick as a moment won’t just screw you over even harder than the animations.

Didn’t realize. That hasn’t happened to me, yet. Thanks for the warning.

also this of the animations and rounds with infinite loops is another demonstration that blizzard doesn’t care in the slightest about making the game always fun and not frustrating, rather the maximum interest is to release an expansion every 3 months which worsens everything and makes open your wallet to half the planet, fortunately there are powerful competitors (indeed one I can’t name) who are perhaps already migrating a huge amount of players, maybe I’ll be next