One Merc Skin in 200 Packs ($250)

Spent more than $2k in this game mode (Mercenaries) trying to collect diamond skins, but the horrendous drop rate is a money grab that’s worse than all of the other Warcraft games combined.

By comparison, I could’ve cleaned out all of the WoW cosmetic items with this amount of money and be happy, but even for someone with deep pockets, bipolar disorder and ADHD like myself, choosing this game mode has been one of the worst decisions I’ve made in my life.

Sure, I’m happy with the game itself. Sure, I’m happy with the stuff I got so far. But does that mean the poor drop rate cash grab that the devs put in place is fair? Hell, no. It’s worse than gambling, and at least with gambling I know full well what I’m getting into.

In here, I feel like I fell prey to my disorders and Blizzard’s scheme before I realized what was happening because of the nature of the pack’s design and drop rate which hasn’t even been properly disclosed anywhere inside the game. We haven’t even been told what we’ll do with all these excess coins from all the maxed out mercs.

I feel like I’ve been robbed. No, I’ve actually been robbed. I would’ve happily parted with my money if I felt like I got what it’s worth, but one random skin that’s not even a diamond for every $150? And the drop rate apparently gets worse the more in game items I obtain? That’s ****ed by any standard. Any TCG or collectible card game or RPG can do better than that.

And before you comment on here reacting negatively to what I have to say, realize that I am trying to elevate the game to a point where it will be better for YOU and ME. I realize that these are all cosmetic products we’re talking about, but seriously, if you, your child or a loved one doesn’t have full agency over his or her actions at all times because they were clinically diagnosed to have a mental health problem, would you not want to shield them in some way from unscrupulous game designs such as this?

Edit: Changed title to reflect new packs opened.

2 Likes

my problem is with people who spend money on it despite how clearly unreasonable it is. they have no reason to change as long as people do.

2 Likes

You spent … how much? Facepalm. You were not robbed, you walked up to the shady looking character and handed them your wallet.

@TerminalTrip - A most constructive point. Though perhaps it’s best to channel such feelings towards the con men and not the conned, no? A rhetorical remark; I am not trying to change your mind.

@RHrandom - I find your analogy for Blizzard as the shady looking character remarkably apt.

yeah, no, very true really I just misspoke as indeed my anger is at both.

Well, even Jesus was angry at the temple. Anger’s fine, as long as it is used constructively.

I feel you bro. I was thinking about implementing quest lines for ALL diamond portraits in this thread. Maybe I should rename it. What do you think about quest lines for all diamond portraits? there def needs to be a better way of obtaining them.

2 Likes

And the best part? The vast majority of those packs consists of coins for maxed characters that have no use whatsoever. Every time I thought about spending money on this mode, I just kept playing this scene from the movie Wargames in my head:

@DarkOsiris:
An absolutely fantastic idea! Though knowing Blizzard, they may want to keep the exclusivity of the diamond portraits, and to this I say, why not make the diamond quest lines a random weekly visit at the camp?

What I mean is that, every week, the shop refreshes with a random portrait pack bundle of a diamond merc. Why not have a visitor at the same time that initiates this diamond merc’s portrait quest line? This should keep interest going weekly for all completionists.

I dunno about you, but my interest has waned after I got diamond Y’sharj, for example, and now I’m just waiting for new content. This plan would keep players engaged most weeks.

@BennieMango:

I feel you, too, bro.

2 Likes

@Melethron
I really like that a lot! We could unlock an additional spot for the campfire via another 200 gold or a quest. And that spot is solely used for weekly diamond portrait quests. I would really, really love that!

1 Like