New Priest Epic: Envoy of Lazul

Epic · Minion · Descent of Dragons · Battlecry: Look at 3 cards. Guess which one is in your opponent

A spin on Curious Glimmerroot. I could see it find play in tournament settings where decklists are public.

7 Likes

Glimmerroot did see play. This seems a lil bit better as you know they have a certain card in hand, as opposed somewhere in the deck.

2 mana 2/2… its ok, but it could’ve been a better design.

Seems strong with Chameleos but inconsistent in pretty much every other scenario. Knowing whats in your opponent’s hand takes a lot more RNG than knowing what’s in your opponent’s deck after all, meaning that you’re probably going to get much fewer hits with this depending on the pool of cards that it draws from.

It’s ok; Galakrond priest is looking like a value control style deck and this would fit in nicely. It’s a decent minion to get off invoke effects at a minimum.

This card is very good I think if the meta gets really slow. It has way more potential lategame then glimmer.

Will see no play. You don’t guess with Lazul and neither her nor Chamaleos see any play whatsoever.

3 Likes

Yessssss!

I love cards like this.

It’s so much more fun to me than getting a random card from a pool of 50+ cards.

It’s also fun to play against because you can counter play it by prematurely using cards to prevent the Priest from getting specific cards.

1 Like

Cool card. 3 out of 5 stars.

Glimmer saw play, but only in niche decks. This is one of those decks.

1 Like

Meh, for only 1 mana more you get 1 more ATK, get to know 3 cards in your opponent’s hand instead of 1 (at most: worst case scenario you’re only 50% certain of 1 card), get to pick which card you want, and have a 100% chance of getting a card out of it. And that card isn’t used, so this…? Nope!

2 Likes

Not really seeing this, Glimmerroot did see play but it also contained the entire deck and not only hand so every other card in the deck was excluded which won’t be the case here just one card from your hand. So potentially you may end up with three options that likely all are in the deck of your opponent.

Of course you get the info that one specific card is in your opponents hand which can be good, but overall I see this more as a late game value card rather than a curve play. Glimmerroot was thrown down on curve and you we’re in 99.9% of times able to get a extra card off it.

Also Glimmerroot for me usally ended with the card just sitting in my hand since it didnt have synergy with my hand/deck and ended up not being played at all. Sometimes you highrolled of course and got something really good. But overall I think Priest got access to better value cards without having to rely on RNG to get a good card for them from their opponent.

An alright card that can be toyed around with but I don’t see it as a vital card in any meta decks.

1 Like

Likely the best card Priest will see this set. It’s a proactive Turn 2 play that draws you another good card since your opponent wouldn’t put bad cards in their deck, which is why Glimmeroot and Drakonid Operative were so good. Thank god this isn’t a dragon otherwise we could have been looking at card of the set right here.

1 Like

Looking back at Glimmeroot, it saw play mainly in highlander decks to help fill in gaps. It also fit into hand generation/card generation decks.

These are never bad cards if their stats justify the turn they are played, which this one does.

Any card that is viable both early game and late game is always a + and should never be dismissed.

The problem is that this doesn’t currently fit into any standard priest decks. Priests are forced to play DS/IF or Rez decks…neither of which this card goes well with. If Blizz would just give us a different archetype other than what we have now for priest then it would be great.

Old school Highlander Razakus priest would 100% utilize this card.

2/2 get a card maybe that has mostly 0 synergy with your deck. This is a 1 star card.

1 Like

Card advantage for a class which likes card advantage. I don’t think it is a great card but I think viewing it as a 1/5 is ignoring the fact that Glimmerroot did see play in ocmpetitive decks.

Personally, I’d rate it a 3 out of 5. Decent card that will fill gaps in certain decks but nothing to build around and not a power card.

1 Like

Ok maybe 2/5 stars is good for it

Oh snap another card for my copy cat priest deck I approve.

1 Like

Card advantage and reconnaissance on your opponent’s gameplay. Poor stats makes for lower tempo play. The advantage of Glimmerroot was that a 3/3 for 3 feels a lot better than a 2/2 for 2. About average for a card I’d say, but definitely useful. 3.5/5

People discounting this card based on the status of Madame Lazul are missing are one very important detail; there simply hasn’t been a competitive deck this expansion that Lazul fit into. Not because she is bad, but because the two competitive archetypes Priest fell into were Combo Priest, which is about drawing through your own deck, and Res Priest, where you don’t want a 3/2 and you probably don’t want any minion that Lazul will discover. Lazul did see some experimentation in early Quest Priest decks, before people accepted that Mass Res was the only really powerful late-game card available.

Does that make Lazul or this card good? Well, no. I firmly believe that “Value” simply will not be a viable archetype for Priest. It needs to be at least Tempo, or it’ll get stomped by things like Holy Wrath Paladin or Quest Druid, any OTK or any deck that applies significant pressure over a short period of time. Plague of Death is very slow and Mass Hysteria is luck-based, the class needs a reliable early aoe (Galakrond does not count) and not more ways to generate more random cards. Random Priest minions are generally not powerful, though that might change depending on what is printed this expansion.

But the point is, you need to be able to close games. Small random cards that generate small random cards do not close out games. This card is, imo, a step away from Galakrond Priest being powerful, and not a step toward it.

2 Likes

I can definitely imagine this seeing play.

I wonder how it will decide which cards you get to choose from? obviously there’ll be one from your opponents hand, but will the other two be just random cards, or cards that are in your opponents deck but not hand?

Easier to spot which is the right card if the other two are just random, but I guess you gain more info if they are from your opponents deck (you know at least three cards in their deck now , even if you didn’t guess correctly).

I love cards like this, just a fun interaction, but I’m not sure if it will find a deck, still it’s not terrible, a pro-active T2 play that generates extra value is something Priest could potentially use, 4/5.

The conditions are not quite clear to me. Will other two cards be from your opponents decks or just random cards? If it’s the first one then it would be impossible to guess due to the draw RNG. If it’s the latter it could easily see play just as Glimmerroot where you can guess based on the meta.