New player just hit rank 25 and

After getting a bit into the swing of things I built my first priest deck on a lot of “man I hope this works” and for the most part it did. I found myself rampaging through the first 25 levels. Obviously I lost a fair share, but I very rarely got rolled and can only think of one or two times that I got destroyed, mostly because of bad draws.

There were plenty of games where I felt very comfortably in control the entire time.

Anyway, I’m feeling pretty good about myself and then…25 hits and I. Am. Hating. Life.
Is it this way for everyone, or did I just get lucky?
Here’s my deck:
Class: Priest
Format: Standard

Year of the Dragon

2x (0) Circle of Healing
1x (1) Embalming Ritual
1x (1) Inner Fire
2x (1) Northshire Cleric
2x (1) Power Word: Shield
1x (1) Radiance
1x (2) Dire Wolf Alpha
2x (2) Divine Spirit
1x (2) Frostwolf Grunt
1x (2) Seance
2x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
1x (3) Madame Lazul
1x (3) Questing Adventurer
1x (3) Shadow Word: Death
1x (4) Lightspawn
1x (4) Mogu’shan Warden
1x (5) Darkscale Healer
1x (5) Holy Nova
1x (5) Silver Hand Knight
1x (5) Vol’jin
1x (6) Lightbomb
1x (6) Priestess of Elune
1x (7) Ravenholdt Assassin
1x (7) Stormwind Champion
1x (9) Onyxia

Level 50 to 26 are “new players only” so you faced only new players with no cards. But starting from lvl 25, you can face people that play the game since the beginning, so that have lots of cards and optimized decks.

You won’t face that much people since from 25 to 20, you can’t lose stars, but the more you’ll go forward, the more you’ll be likely to face tough opponents.

But don’t be discouraged, at level 25, you’ll often play against people with good decks and disastrous decision making, so if you take time to learn what you’re facing (you’ll see that the decks you’re facing become less and less varied, so you can know what they’re gonna play) you’ll be able to outsmart opponents and go forward.

You’ve reached a milestone in your learning curve and you’ll probably stay blocked there some times, but you’ll get new cards by doing your daily quests and more game knowledge, and hopefully, you’ll start going up again fairly quickly.

Good luck friend !

9 Likes

I have a single suggestion on top of what Touilette writes: If Ranked is tilting you, try Casual.

While you can face the same kind of decks as in Ranked, your opponents will be selected from a pool of players close to your hidden MMR (which is calculated from your wins/losses in the mode), so you should be matched up against others who have a similar level of skill/luck as yourself. And in Casual you can also find decks the player knows won’t work in Ranked, but they want to play them anyway without hurting their Rank.

In Ranked the only factor the game looks at to figure out who you should play against is your current Rank. So if you climb on a lucky winstreak you can suddenly end up in a spot where you’ll constantly lose because the opposition has a combination of experience and collection you just can’t handle yet.

1 Like

On ladder if you are free2play then you’ll just be fodder for all the pay to win players. You’ll find that for every one of your epic cards they will have at least 2 or 3 legendary ones. There are also a few people on here who say rather umsympathetically “if you can’t even make it to rank 15 then you should just go away and shoot yourself” [I quote].

1 Like

This.

Not this.

I don’t get tilted playing really, but all of a sudden I get smashed by a Warrior who somehow developed 30 armor and I’m wondering if I did something wrong.

I don’t plan on spending a lot of money getting cards, but will keep trying.

Nah you didn’t do anything wrong, that’s a thing warrior can do.
I checked your decklist and it’s the kind of decklist you do when you’re a new player.
Cards like Stormwind champion are really good cards when you build your first decks, but there are things so much more powerful in the game that you will drop it soon enough when you’ll unlock some new cards through time.

Btw, you can use the software Hearthstone Deck Tracker to get track of your deck and that has one cool feature : you can replay your games and share them with people. If you want you can share some games with us so we can give you cool advice to improve your gameplay.

Congratulations.

There’s a few things you can do to improve your deck. It will go a long way to get you to 20, which is more spicy because players who reach 15 can never drop below 20.

Radiance is garbage, take it out immediately.

Open Uldum packs now! You want Injured Tolvir, Neferset Ritualist, and Beaming Sidekick in the deck to allow you to snowball your health better.

From Classic you will want Acolyte of Pain and a second copy of Inner Fire. There’s a few Rares that are also great, but it’s harder to get specific Rare cards from Classic packs.

2 Likes

You’ll find as well a lot of players are now using these new cheat cards that were recently brought back into the game (e.g. ragnaros the firelord, flakmage, sylvanas windrunner, evolve, etc) though fortunately that should only be for a couple more weeks.

Those are not cheat cards, just some strong cards (in fact not all those are strong) that came back from wild.
Btw, it makes no difference if it’s a new one or an old one when you’re new to the game.

I hope you won’t become a salty sad guy as our good friend WildWolf.

3 Likes

man, touillette is a nice addition to this forum xD i’m glad you came here ! (why did you leave the fr forum btw?)

i wouldn’t say he’s salty because he’s got a point, p2w players have a huge advantage, it’s no accident if most of the top players are p2w ones (once you reach at least the top 1000, it’s either a preorder cardback or golden leg spamming)

Increasing your friends list is helpful as well. Many of us on here will gladly friend you and help with grinding gold. Some people will build decks that make them lose rapidly for the sake of helping a new guy get several quick wins. Might not be all that satisfying to play, but 9 quick matches like that and you have yourself 30 gold for no effort. Plus the more friends you have, the more chances you have of getting offered the 80gp friend quest from someone on your list.

Anyway, lots of great advice in the posts above. Good luck to you!

Correct. If you owned the card Whizbang, that card will give you decks where you roll in the easy peasy newbie ranks. Once you hit 30, or in your case 25, you hit the P2Ws or the Lifers who own all the cards. Then you hit the tier 1 decks.

And decks are everything in standard play. You deck was superior in low life land. But now you need el Primo cards and decks. And you will know which ones they are. They will be there steadily in every game you play and roughly, not quite with precision accuracy, but high reliably - the power cards that just win games for classes.

So now. you need to go to HSreplay or some website like that. Grab a netback because they flow like syrup over pancakes in turning out the cards that get you the win…

Take a look at the forums. Look at how they point at Evolve Shaman or Quest Shaman. Because it regularly outperforms all other decks. And that’s what wins games. Decks. The other part you already noticed, you got bad draws or early setup. This is usually considered the 50% win rate in game design.

I will give you a great example of a MUCH better Priest deck. I was FORCED to play against one with the new play 3 games as X. You have to play or you don’t get credit.

So turn 8 arrives. The top tier priests dont play any cards at all if you dont. They know what’s going to happen, as a priest you just sit and wait for it to happen.

So turn 8, the Priest drops Good Old Ragnaros the Firelord. He wants to kill will the el cheesy pow pow pow Rags minion. And he can because they game will flow just so for the to happen.

What do I mean? Well the Priest will have in the first half of his deck, the shadow cards. Destroy 3 cost or less, destroy 5 cost or more. He will have all 4 in the first half of his deck.

Next the Priest will have the Infiltrator. The minion where if you destroy it it destroys one of yours. Next the. Priest will have Ziliax.

Now I destroy Ragnaros but of course the Priest had a Psycho Pomp and Brought rags back with Reborn. Its just want to happen. Its a n question of if, or luck. It just will play out this way every game.

So with this Priest deck all you have to do is drop Rags on 8 if you opponent did nothing. If they start to play minions you will have all your board wipes and minion destroys just so Rags is always out there by himself.

If your opponent gets any where near being a threat, its okay you just resurrect your whole board with either Mass Res or NZoth.

Yeah sure, all the players who paid went legends and people who never spend a coin in the game are all blocked rank 15.
That p2w thing is stupid. I never paid anything in the game, and I used to get legend every single months when I was fully dedicated to the game.

People trying to make the difference between f2p players and others are just fully delusional bad players who try to find excuses for their losses. (and trust me, I used to be a fully delusional player finding excuses for my losses)

Dunno, stopped playing the game as I used to do years before, I played a lot Overwatch too. But I tend to go back on both forums because BG is cool. Btw french forum is boring af, so I don’t bother that much.

2 Likes

You haven’t played ranked until you get to 25 and then through to 20.

Go and play to at least 20 then come back and post your experience as a new player with a small collection of cards.

I would be very surprised if you find it in any way positive and enjoyable being as the gloves are off after 25 and you will be going up against players who will have spent a lot of money for their cut and paste winner decks.

They aren’t any good, they just lay the cards as they should paint by numbers and the w/l ratio does the rest.

Naw, you were just playing with newcomers like yourself. Once you hit 25, you start getting people with actual collections.

A lot of basic cards don’t hold up, or need specific decks to justify. Take your Frostwolf Grunt, for instance - a 2/2 taunt is considered awful, especially since 3/2 and 2/3 taunts exist, and even those don’t see any play. There’s no reason why you’d run a Grunt versus, say, a Knife Juggler, who has a bonus effect threatening enough that he might as well have taunt anyways.

This is not to say that all basic cards are bad – I run two Dire Wolf Alpha in my Evens Shaman that functions at rank 5, and Stormwind Champion does work out in an Odd Paladin deck, but those are included because they work specifically well with the kinds of decks they are in, whereas your deck is thrown together a little haphazardly.

What do you want out of your deck? Are you looking to flood the field? Are you looking to win early or late? What minions complement that playstyle?

Incidentally, one sign that your deck is still new is that you are running a lot of single-copies of cards, but aren’t using the powerful “if your deck has no duplicates…” cards. The general rule is that if a card is worth running one of, it’s usually worth running two of, and the only reason you’d break that rule is either to include a conditional legendary like Reno Jackson or Zephrys The Great which specifically require only 1x copy, or else you’re running a specific kind of counter-card where you think you’ll get screwed if you ended up with both in your hands.

1 Like

The business model for this game makes it so that new cards released will have over the top things. Otherwise, no incentive to buy anything. Expect to spend some money if you want to be climbing high in the ladder.

not exactly what i’ve said

Yup yup, can you prove it ?
Because top players play so much they can literally get all the cards just using the gold and the dusts they get.

I mean, it’s too much of a hot take imo.

1 Like