New player, can't win anything

play priest
use divine spirit, divine spirit, inner fire (or topsy turvy)
use on low attack/high health minion
cheapest thing to do
use 0 cost silence spells to get past taunts

also try to collect murlocs for other classes

As far as I was concerned as a beginner F2P, my first year of HS wasn’t about winning, it was about amassing a collection. If you’re not ready for some serious grind, this game is not for you. But if you play regularly and use your gold smart, you will have a couple of viable decks in about 6 months. I have been playing for 2 years now, never spent a cent, been to legend and can craft pretty much every deck I want to play. But the road was long :smiley:

1 Like

WowđŸ˜±. That’s the thing of card games though: much is left to the actual card values in comparison with the player’s strategy.
I think in future, when cards will increase in number, Blizzard should think of separation more casual players from competitive with a more advanced matchmaker.

An easy win isn’t fun for anyone.

1 Like

But why would you want that? There are so many cards in the game that never see play, why would you want to break the bank just to get those cards and then never use them?

2 Likes

I once did the math (based on my own, hopefully statistically relevant, collected data of rewards per wion-count). Not going to repeat the entire computation, but a short summary is:

• If you would otherwise use your gold to buy packs from the last expansion, then Arena is a better gold investment if your average result is 2.87 wins (this is where the average reward is 50 gold, 1 new pack, and a very small chance of other stuff)
  • If you would otherwise use your gold to buy packs from the older expansions and have no interest in the latest expansion, then Arena is a better gold investment if your average result is 6.42 wins (this is where the average reward is 150 gold, 1 new pack that you can dust, and a chance of some other stuff)

The above does not take into account that you don’t get 10 gold per 3 wins for Arena, so you may need to adjust up slightly.
More important: the above does also not take into account that Hearthstone is a game that we are supposed to play for fun, and that some people consider Arena the pinnacle of fun while others would rather poke out their eyes with a rusty fork. The real choice of whether or not to play Arena should be based on whether or not you enjoy the time playing Arena.

2 Likes

Think about it. For every win, someone else has to lose. Therefore, the overall average is 3 wins. There are some pro players in Arena who alway do better than 3, therefore the avg for everyone else is less than 3.

2 Likes

In competetive games “worthy opponent” usually means “strong opponents which you can learn from”. Yes, according to this definition you are worthless.

Rank 5 requires playing a bunch of games regardless if you are F2P or P2P. While you are building up your collection, being around Rank 20-15 with a casual deck is a more realistic proposition. Of course, it does not feel good when you lose to many optimised decks at these ranks, which is why I said for a new player, getting to the 2nd or 3rd month and building that budget deck (say 1000-1600) dust will definitely help.

I’ve spent a couple 100 to get cards across the sets as well, but when I first started out in Aug 2017, I got to Rank 5 in my 2nd month with just the Welcome Bundle. On the old New Player Tavern in a recent thread there are multiple people reaching Rank 5 and higher in their second month (they may have spent money, but still, a new player’s resources are limited). It’s not easy by any means, but getting that golden epic every month adds up to extra dust that is very helpful.

Arena has more potential for your collection and is worth it if you want latest expansion packs, but as BigHugger was saying, if you want older expansion packs, you want a 6.42+ average, which is way too high to expect from an average player when for every win you get above 3, someone else is losing below 3 wins.

Perhaps Ranked is a similar thing where every win above 50% means someone else out there has less than 50%, but unlike Arena, you don’t need to have way over 50% win rate to make progress, and can play any time of the month, where there are different people and different pocket metas.

If your a new player did you start from rank 50 or did you ignore that and just go to rank 25 because if your completely new to this game start at rank 50 and slowly learn.

There are many of us that are willing to help you become better
at a price

p.s. I personally like getting paid in funnel cakes.

2 Likes

the reason midrange hunter is so popular is that it is mostly cheap free cards

Sites like Hearthpwn have filters where you can look at “Budget Decks.”

In 2016, I too started as F2P and was able to craft a midrange budget shamman deck that took me to rank 5 after only a couple months of playing. Not all budget decks are bad, some are quite good.

3 Likes

only one way:
steal the parents credit card

1 Like

I too play only with game gold from 2014 becouse HS is F2P, But NOW is Activision-Blizzard company and game design CHANGED now is Pay2Win, without real money no have chance build good deck

I remember how sooner everyone who bought SP extension got all the cards
 now ONLY buy pack or you get free only 3 pack if need 100

Why do you need 100 packs if your deck has only 30 slots and all of them are already occupied with cards you successfully played before?

young lad

this is the business model of this game
grind for years winning with a basic tier 4 deck for what u want
or
use the best card in the game
credit card.

frustration , unfairiness and despereration are ur worst enemies and the triggers to use real money. this game ia p2w.

I understand you getting to rank 5 in a couple of months with maybe a budget deck, but let’s be frank about it. How many hours did you play to get there? Considering that the old rule of play was 1 star per win, two stars if you won 3 in a row first time. You would have had to consistently win every game without any losses in two months. For every loss you would need to win 3 in a row again. So how many hours did it take?

Please, I’m not a newb at this game. Just today doing my dailies, which there were 3 of them it took an hour and I was playing casual. On top of that I won every game. It still took an hour just to complete them and that was 12 games.

Again how many hours to play? If you played rank and your deck was say a 53% win rate that means you won 53% of the time and lost 47% of the time. So how many hours do you think it would take you to get to rank 5 from say, rank 20?

I have a life other then HS. I don’t sit here for 3-4 hours a day like some players do, and I am aware there are people who do that. Watch twitch, some do that all day long. They stream for their income. It’s a job in most cases for some of them.

I gather when you first played rank, you started at rank 25. I began at 25 if I remember correctly. It took me quite awhile to get to 20 because of the learning curve. Again how long before you made it to rank 5 in two months?

I just love how players say it took only a couple of months to this or that rank. But what they don’t tell you is how many hours they played just to get there when they offer comments to new players.

For you new players who are casual, it takes a few hours just to get from 25 to 20 if you have a basic decent deck, because you will lose quite a few times from more seasoned players. Play casual for a few hours to see how your deck stands the test of time against players who have more cards. Who play to test out new decks, etc.

If you’re very new and started at rank 50, it’s even longer. I did that 5 months ago to see what was offered a new player who started at 50, which was pretty decent I must say. Got quite a few basic packs to help out without having to pay for them, but again from 50 to 25 is a long grind in hours. It took me 2 months playing from 50 to 25, playing maybe 2 hours a day. Sometimes less. Other times a bit more. I actually had 3 accounts during this time period so I was trading off back and forth between them. Finally had enough and cancelled my two alt accounts.

When we talk about strategy playing this game, none of us mentions the hours put into playing this game to begin with. Not one comment I have read in these forums says I took countless hours to get where I got. Everyone offers advise on how to play it, but never says that it took me hours to get there. If you are new and playing casual and you’re at rank 25 to start, don’t expect rank 5 in two months unless you intend to play hours to get there is all I’m saying.

Well, of course it’s going to take time. What made you think it wouldn’t?

It’s a card game, and card games tend to move really slowly, even IRL.

Also considering that this is a F2P game, of course there will be grinding.

Rank 50-25 is only there for brand new players, an additional tutorial facing off against real people instead of dropping them straight into rank 25 against people with Tier 1 decks.

I just went through this, I’d say the first few months were very forgiving and you play with people just starting out and same vintage of freshness about them. It is only when you start to play veterans it starts to become draining.

Play very little, clear the daily quests, clear the brawls, be patient and don’t spend your dust yet. hearthstone has phases of impossible, for me taunt warrior was the worst meta but then so many nerfs to decks like this, more importantly pick your chances to be competitive and only push ranks when you think you can make it to rank five for the epic in a forgivable meta.

Now the decks aren’t so oppressive and April will be fair since rotations.

Sad that there is T1 deck in rank 25?