New Patch Coming Before Expansion 2, Possible Dragoncaster & Rogue's Galakrond Changes

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet so I will do it myself.

All the credits goes to Fluxflashor from outofcards

https://outof.cards/hearthstone/1509-hearthstones-iksar-talks-card-balance-rng-new-patch-coming-before-expansion-2-possible-dragoncaster-rogues-galakrond-changes

Yingdi, a Chinese web portal for card games, had a chance to interview Hearthstone’s Dean Ayala this past month and they spoke about card balance, rng, and Demon Hunters. Czhihong translated the interview and posted it on reddit.

Card Balance

• Looking back, Dean thinks they would have made more balance changes to Demon Hunters right away.
  • We’re getting another balance patch before the expansion arrives.
  • Expect the expansion to shake up the Demon Hunter win rates the most.
  • Zephrys the Great and Dragonqueen decks have been called out. If they are top tier next expansion, changes may happen to those decks.
  • Dragoncaster may be addressed in an upcoming patch.
  • Galakrond, the Nightmare may receive a change to make the cards drawn cost (1) instead of the current (0).

RNG

• We should expect less randomly generated resources next year and even in the expansions later this year.
  • The tools we have right now to generate resources is likely the highest it will ever be.
  • Part of the issue is that the cards that generate resources right now are just really good so we see them all the time.
18 Likes

I guess Rogue will be joining Shaman and Paladin in the dumpster, and HL Mage will return to its rightful place in Tier 3.

This isn’t the time to dump on Rogue and Mage. They’re barely hanging on the meta by a thread.

12 Likes

What a joke. Literally the entire thing is a joke. Here we go again with letting payers craft expensive decks around stupidly busted cards they release then nerfing said decks. It’s the way this game has been for ages now.

15 Likes

…a mage card nerf

whaaaaaaaat? why now??? i hope this means we are getting some new toys to play with which would make dragoncaster broken

6 Likes

Like I said before.

If highlander mage not get weaker the class NEVER gonna get other decks Working until highlander power cards rotate.

That because highlander mage is so flexible that any really strong package that gets into the game gonna be just incorporated by it and make it go to tier S since this specific deck can’t really be just tier 1 when it gets strong due to how easy it is to tech it against any meta.

In other words thanks to highlander mage you can’t really print any other good archtypes for the class.

You can be sure that we gonna see zephyr and dragon queen dealth with next expansion because they not gonna go anywhere.

1 Like

Higlander mage is actually gamebreaking op its just its being held back by smorc decks which is the whole meta. It beats everything else. So its disguised op. Its just lurking in shadows when the 5th round of DH nerfs come and or hunter slips.

3 Likes

You mean like how Shaman just bloomed with tons of decks after the Galakrond nerfs?

That’s not how it works. If they have only enough for one good deck, that’s all that’s going to see play. They’re just sending Mage and Rogue to the dumpster, making an already bad meta less diverse in the process.

7 Likes

Out of touch of reality or something.

Nerf Rogue and Mage?

Meanwhile, Paladin Hunter Warrior just laughs in the background.

10 Likes

The problem is that highlander mage is just an deck that it is literally impossible to design around unless you literally state that your deck need to have dupes for X card to work.

You can build an highlander mage out of thin air with just the power cards and the shell of any other obscure mage archtype and it gonna still being atleast tier 4 winrates( better than the not even worth to evaluate decks mage has nowadays).

Highlander mage as an archtype can basically transform any future deck into an form of highlander mage and do better than no highlander versions.

Resulting in an scenario that maintain highlander mage at reasonable levels means not let any other archtype get strong.

The same argument could have been said of Galakrond Shaman.

Yet the class didn’t bloom into multiple decks after its demise.

1 Like

Because shaman got direct nerfs at every direction it could go until everything was in dumpster fire.

We even had nerfs to frog spirit builds before they even got popular.

Not only that but shaman still in dumpster fire to prove that they can’t develop anything else.

they could just unnerf the albatross

1 Like

I need to say despite of it not being that bad of an idea put an unbalanced card to balance another is when powercreep starts.

And I not talking about powercreep like it is used here( when an combination results at more powerful decks than past ones) but about objective powercreep ( the magma rager compared to ice rager type where one card is just better than other at any aspect).

Well, paladins might indirectly benefit here.

Like, highlanders get called out. They are a pain for pallies to deal with as they usually don’t run enough removals/board clears to handle that one extra big turn form DQA or enough sustain to handle another board clear from Zeph (weapon breaking and silence from zeph also hurts)

It’s nice to hear RNG resource gen has probably peaked, as that’s another thing paladins are less capable at than other classes, and one big reason recruits have become less relevant.

And if DH gets hit another round paladins might start having a consistent shot at beating them, since pallies are one of the classes who has the heals to undo the DH damage. The other thing that keeps pallies from doing better is how dependent pallies are at curving out (attendant into a’dal, lightforget zealot t4, etc)

2 Likes

This seems good to me. While Mage and Rogue aren’t at the top, I do believe that the power level of things like Turn 6 Box or any other powerful spell should be looked at, and that the Galakrond change seems fair.

The galakrond decks aren’t even that great. I play both galakrond rogue and galakrond priest, rogue is 55% win rate priest is 50%. The highland decks are whats dominating in diamond 5 bracket. And it seems they always have all the legendaries by turn 9. Bomb warrior is also a big problem for the galakrond decks, that’s not a fun deck to play against when they put ten bombs in the deck and just drag the game on with all that removal. Quest warlock is an auto lose for priest, also a common deck at diamond.

1 Like

This article. I swear the team at Hearthstone literally hates mage. So; I gather that a nerf to Dragoncaster means puzzle box, which playing early is practically the ONLY thing that makes Highlander even remotely playable against fast decks is getting a nerf?
Let me be clear; I hate the deck, but now to learn the only tier deck mage has is getting nerfed? Why am I not surprised?
I hope the entire dev team gets fired.

6 Likes

puzzle box isn’t the only spell used for free on turn 6, power creation and deep freeze are commonly used too. Lets not forget the turtle also does it on turn 8 for free.

1 Like

Against DH and hunter, a full cost Power of Creation is not going to win you the game. Same with Deep Freeze. Same with Puzzle Box. The devs are acting as though HL mage is a tier S deck instead of the mediocre tier two that it is. (Edited for those who lack the ability to remember the theme of the thread.)

Well it seems like crap to anyone who plays mage.