New Neutral card: Desert Obelisk

Have you tried eating chicken strips from Raising Cane’s? Does wonders for the soul.

Another insult?
My pride is shattered.

Why should every class have to be capable of utilizing a specialized neutral card? This card inherently requires lots of hoops to get it to go off since you can only put 2 in your deck yet the card specifically requires 3 to be in play to trigger.

One of the reasons to print ‘bad’ cards is because there’s a subset of the player population that enjoys trying to make those cards work. They enjoy the experimentation and puzzle-solving involved. This is exactly the audience for this kind of card.

2 Likes

In all of these years, I’ve had two Blood of the Ancient One together on the same board, maybe twice. I’m not holding out any better hopes for this card, though we do have more “summon a 1/1 copy of something” options than we used to. It might not be completely meme-tastic.

A Big Shaman shell might work, since that operates by generating copies of things from your hand as well as drawing those things from your deck.

1/1 copies are all well and good, but the card is FIVE freakin mana. It’s so expensive and doesn’t do anything the turn it’s played. How can you stay alive long enough and still find a way to combo it. Priest has plenty of ways to copy and generate more of these. Zerek’s Cloning Gallery, Spirit of the Dead, Vivid Nightmare, and a lucky hit by Psycopomp can make more directly, Catrina Muerte and Mass Resurrection can revive them etc. But none of these plays will ever hold a board, and until you get 3 of the things out they don’t do anything. Also priest in particular is already suffering terribly at keeping a board alive right now, so building around this will only be possible if it gets some killer survival tools. Right now it has Mass Hysteria at 5 and Plague of Death at 9, and that’s not a lot to go on, so I’d look to Druid before Priest. Gloop sprayer shennanegins may possibly be viable? It’s more likely to work as a game closer in heal druid than a closer in Priest barring some killer as yet unreleased survival or tempo tools.

You’re going to be dead long before you get a chance to pull off any janky memes against anything but the slowest of slow decks, and against those it’s hard to say if the obelisks would even be a game winning play (armor generation etc…)

Meme potential is real. But it hits a random ennemy, so even if you manage to get 3 or more, you need to clear the board too…

Losing to this will be the most fells bad moment in Hearthstone to this date. Even going through most combinations you have think of with the entire Wild Pool you pretty much need to be playing against someone that’s AFK or the AI for this to work or so far ahead with a deck and hand full of garbage that you somehow have a Thaurissan live for a lot of turns. I think this card exists to complete the Mini Game win with Desert Obelisk as the only damage sources.

… How is that an insult?

A Mystery .

In standard. In wild star aligner druid was the reason Avianna was nerfed.

1 Like

As I mentioned above, Avianna deserved the nerf due to the interaction between her and Kun. It was always going to be problematic as more stuff got added.

Disagree. Avianna + Kun was just a way to pull out combos.
The hard part (as in every combo deck) was ‘‘how do i get all these pieces in my hand ?’’ and in most druid combo decks you must have had around 5-6 cards in your hand to achieve that. And that was fine. Avianna- Kun was a good duo but till you draw them and the other pieces you should w8 and play defensivelly like every other combo deck.

Juicy psychemelon was the problem there. On round 4 you drew Avianna + Kun + Star alligner + Medivh which is almost every card you needed to pull the combo.
Also why not just nerf Kun a card that hardly sees play on its own?
Still facts are facts and they chose Avianna…

Because the source of the problem is Avianna, she’s what’s creating the discount and discounts in hearthstone are incredibly powerful. And what pushed it over the edge wasn’t Star Aligner per se, but Juicy Psychmelon allowing you to draw the full combo to ensure consistency. Pscyhmelon in standard hasn’t really been a problem so it makes sense that they change Avianna so as not to unnecessarily nerf a standard card for wild’s problems.

1 Like

Cuz it’s neutral. Making a card some classes just can’t use is… dumb.

Talk about limiting design space. Technically, every class can use this since Faceless Manipulator is neutral. But some classes might do better than others with it.

And that’s ok.

1 Like

You’re right, but it still won’t see play.

Still dumpster fire garbage imo.

It just requires a ton of work and deckbuilding for a combo that is at best on par with what you’d expect for the Mana played anyway.

It’s like, a massive undertaking for a reward that’s basically the same as just playing any 3 5 cost minions.

The kind of person that plays this card is the kind of person that tries to make a Gunspire OTK deck.

Some other possibilities I’d forgotten about are Gloop Sprayer and Flobbidinous in Druid and the new Paladin quest (Create a 2/2 copy of a minion). Druid also has Dreampetal Florist to try and make cheap copies. Maybe you can even get a dream scenario where you have Florist hit the Obelisk and then use new Elise and Barista to duplicate the 0 mana Obelisk over and over. Then slap down your Obelisk army and laugh.

Combo idea for Priest: This takes a couple set up turns and requires a number of specific cards, so not that realistic for a competitive deck probably.

You’d need to start with 2 copies of Shrine and 1 each of Seance, Elekk, Topsy Turvy and Obelisk itself in hand.
Turn 1: play Shrine and Seance it.
Turn 2: play both remaining Shrines, Elekk, and Obelisk, then kill Obelisk with Topsy Turvy to shuffle 6 copies into your deck.

Then, when you have space in your hand, use Bwonsamdi to draw the discounted Obelisks.
And finally Talanji allows you to play them all at once. Cue the laser-light-show.

1 Like

My Lady in White might like this card. After all, if you manage to have all three of those, two of them possibly being 5/5, they deal 15 damage in total and can even attack for extra damage!