New Mysterious Stranger Rate?

Hello, I have completed 20 runs through heroic onyxia’s lair and have not received even one mysterious stranger. What is the new appearance rate since it was nerfed in the most recent patch? Thank you.

I bumped into him once during heroic blackrock, but being honest, u dont need to worry bout him anymore, he is almost obsolete now.

I’ve encountered the Stranger once, in about a dozen bounties so far.

The claim that it’s almost obsolete now is completely wrong; it’s more valuable than ever. Do you want to bang out tasks for whatever useless random mercs appear on the task board, or do you want to abandon those and fill the board with useful mercs? That one Stranger I found since the task change put newly-acquired Balinda on the task board, allowing her to do her first eight tasks in the past 24 hours or so.

Assuming you’re not taking the approach of, “I don’t care what tasks I get and I’ll just complete all active ones I get up through #18 each day until all my mercs are maxed…”

As Worblehat stated, Mysterious Stranger is not obsolete at all. How do you plan on farming tasks for new mercenaries you acquire, or specific mercenaries you’re wanting to level skills up on? Are you going to hope that the daily reset happens to grant you tasks for that mercenary? That’s like a 4 in 80 likelihood (5% chance) assuming your entire task board is empty when daily tasks reset.

To the original question: I ran about 12 Felwood runs yesterday before finally finding one, when usually the most I’d have to run would be about 7. Found him after about 2 runs earlier this morning. It does feel somewhat more difficult to find the Stranger, but I haven’t tested it enough to really know how much. He’s definitely still out there.

-Valas

I’ve also noticed the rate of MS has significantly lowered, but now all tasks are chained, enough to keep me busy.

1 Like

I’ve mostly been playing just until I get one merc through task 18 (stop playing once I have an open task slot). I haven’t seen any strangers that way.

One day I would have stopped, but got Deathwing from the Task 18 pack, so I did Smolderwing to get his gear. On that run, I hit a stranger.

I primarily run heroic barrens 1&2 to complete tasks so I don’t run into very many mystery tokens that would grant a stranger but I did run into one by accident the day of the task change and ran into 1 while casually targeting it doing heroic balinda. didn’t run into any the handful of times I was casually targeting it while doing 2 different heroic blackrocks a handful of times or previous balinda runs.

I half wanted to knock out the couple of characters that were already on task 18 but at least drek’thar popped as an option. and since it’s generally taking me 4 or more hours a day starting at midnight to knock out 4 characters chains despite most of them being no lower than 6 or so if the task 18 ones pop at midnight at some point I’ll just have more free time that day.