New Hunter rare - Unleash the Beast

This will definitely see play with Zuljin. Beyond that, I don’t know because Hunter doesn’t really have dragon synergy.

In midrange, I’d stick with Savannah Highmane.

Wyverns are Beasts. Not Dragons. Leok from Animal Companion/To My Side! is a Wyvern.

I thought Leokk was a bird, haha! Thank you for the clarification. This is probably a second 6 drop, besides Savannah Highmane, as well as a Zuljin spell.

I don’t know…me and highmane have been through a lot together, lol

1 Like

This is a viable card, will probably see play.

3 Likes

Decent card in a somewhat slower meta, it has the benefit of having 5 hp compared to the pirate with rush that has the benefit of drawing a combo card as deathrattle but has 3 hp.

As a hunter you usually go for early/midgame this card can help you in the midgame and if you get to lategame a few 5/5 rushes are pretty good after zul’jin.

Makes me wonder if you want to slot this into your deck instead of something that might help you steamroll.

Seems like a pretty meh card honestly. I don’t see hunters ever wanting to play the value game, especially without their “turn any deck into a control deck” deathknight

The benefit of Unleash over Scaleworm is that you can run Master’s Call in the Unleash deck but not effectively in a dragon deck.

There’s merits to each, imo. With a dragon deck you have the Emeriss into Leeroy + Faceless combo with dragons to stall till you get there. With Unleash, your big finisher could be Zul’jin, potentially summoning 4 5/5 rushers with 2 more backups in hand and Master’s Call to thin your deck so you draw your ZJ more consistently.

2 Likes

This card is decent on its own. The true strength of Unleash the Beast is its interaction with Zul’jin. If you cast this spell even twice you’ll get a board of 2 5/5 minions with rush and another copy of the spell without Twinspell. A late-game Zul’jin can potentially fill your board with 4 5/5 minions with rush and 2 minions from Animal Companion. When people start seeing that, I guarantee they are going to start crying on the forums about it.

Not a hunter expert but honestly seems quite solid to me. Decent body guranteed to kill something and is two cards in one. Not bad imo.

Trash. Too slow. If it was a 5/5 with taunt and no rush it might be worth? I can’t see anyone wanting to spend 6 mana on a 5/5 against an aggro deck and then wanting to spend another 6 mana to summon another one. Sure it would be sweet to cast 2 to 4 5/5 minions with rush when you play zuljin but that’s assuming your opponent sits there and literally does nothing all game.

Remember Firelands portal? This is pretty similar when you consider the upside of resummoning with zuljin. It’s stronger than it looks.

Trying to imagine a Zul’Jin deck with this guy. Here’s one idea that takes the Midrange hunter shell, tweaks it a bit and has Zul’jin + Unleash the Beast as a finisher if the game goes long enough:

2x Springpaw
2x Timber Wolf
2x Tracking
2x Headhunter’s Hatchet
2x Hunter’s Mark
2x Hunting Mastiff
2x Scavenging Hyena
2x Vicious Scalehide
2x Animal Companion
2x Master’s Call
2x Dire Frenzy
1x Halazzi, the Lynx
2x Tundra Rhino
2x Witchwood Grizzly
2x Unleash the Beast
1x Zul’jin

If both Unleash the Beast spells and their copies are played, Zul’jin is going effectively be Dragoncaller Alanna, but with rushing beasts instead of dragons.

There’s multiple different Dire Frenzy targets between the lynxes, scalehide, even an UtB wyrven. Tracking and Master’s Call should churn through the deck fairly quickly to dig out Zuljin if needed.

I included Hunting Mastiff and Halazzi instead of Unleash the Hounds because you wouldn’t want Zul’jin to cast UtH first and then not have enough board space for UtB.

The WW Grizzly could/should probably be something else but was trying to figure out how to bridge the gap to ZJ defensively. Maybe they should just be Highmanes.

I think you should go for UTH and Highmane. You’re overbuilding the deck to the point where you plan to win only with Zul’jin, and only after playing your entire deck. If you need Zul’jin to be uber-powerful in a certain game, you just don’t play UTH. Keep your options open.

My thoughts on this card are that players are underestimating its potential power. We have no idea how the meta will look after rotation but the fact that scream is gone means board centric decks will be back again.

Yeah but that’s no fun to just play boring old midrange from last expansion!