New Hunter rare - Unleash the Beast

6 mana

Twinspell
Summon a 5/5 Wyvern with Rush

Zul’jin looks up hopefully after Spellstone rotates, I guess. Rush on these is huge, and apparently Zul’jin will add the non-Twinspell to your hand after casting the original one.

edit: supposedly confirmed on Twitter - Twinspells cast by other means (Yogg, Zul’jin etc) will ad the non-twinspell to your hand.

1 Like

Depending on how twin interacts with zul’jin, it could potentially spawn 2 5/5s with rush and add a 3rd in your hand…

That seems way stronger than even full spellstone.

That seems way stronger than even full spellstone.

Ha ha, hold your horses mate. No, just no.

If this was 5 mana, it’d see play for sure. At 6 - I am inclined to say it’s not worth it, Scaleworm’s 4 mana, and all.

1 Like

5/5 Rush Beast for 6 is solid, getting a second copy in your hand is good. I could see this find a home in decks other than Spell Hunter. A 5/5 Rush minion can deal with a lot of things at 6-7 mana.

And if the interaction with Zul’jin works as stated it is definitely going to be a two-of in Spell Hunter, regardless of what other decks may or may not play it.

Edit:

On the other hand, Scaleworm requires running Dragons and it can be a vanilla 4/4 if you don’t draw one when you need the worm to have Rush. Dragons don’t work too well for Hunter despite the attempts at making it look like something that could happen (Emeriss & Carrion Drake).

4 Likes

Kinda nitpicking, but to clarify a bit: so far there will be no reason to run “Spell” Hunter in Standard anymore. Both Rhok’delar and To My Side rotate, so you’ll be free to add any number of minions.

2 Likes

Precisely. There will be no ‘spell hunter’ in standard post-rotation.

And this card’s garbage in wild. Way too slow, and the value makes no difference.

I’ve seen some (supposedly) Legend Spell Hunter decklists without the two, mostly variants that focus on Spellstone, Secrets and Zul’jin.

And while the style may change from no-minion to some minions, there’ll likely be at least one Hunter variant that focuses on playing spells over minions.

1 Like

Eeeehhhh… I don’t know. It doesn’t look BAD. But not very strong either. It is a nice swing on turn 6 and the Wyvern can kill most things on the board around turn 5-6. Seems okay at best.

I guess I could give it a shot if I run Zul’jin in my deck as well.

was talking about the zuljin interaction.

4 3/3s are way, WAY worse than 2 5/5s with rush +1 more in hand (when you get them from zuljin)

plus, it’s better than scaleworm imo: no requirements, better stats, and it “draws” a card for just 2 mana more is reasonable.

2 Likes

Similar to cursed castaway; which is ok but only good when you get Hooktusk synergy. This card is OK, but really good with Zul’jin synergy.

Zul’jin with 2 Animal Companions, 2 Deadly Shots, and 2 Unleash the Beast is really strong turn even without a lot of other spells.

3 Likes

This argument is silly. If you’re playing Scaleworm, the requirement isn’t too hard to be met, considering the decks usually retain a fairly large hand size.

Better stats by +1 health doesn’t mean much, by turn 6 it’ll most likely die either way, and when you play a Rush minion, you usually expect it to die either way.

Spending 6 mana to do this one action late game sounds awful to me, compared to all the other late game powerhouses that are going on.

4 3/3s are way, WAY worse than 2 5/5s with rush +1 more in hand (when you get them from zuljin)

You’re able to play Zul’jin much earlier and much more potent with the spellstone, though. Idk how this is so hard for people to grasp.

This card is high value, but not super efficient. Costs most of your turn, but having a 5/5 rush is pretty decent, even for 6, especially since it generates another in hand to be used.

This recovers much of Zul’Jin’s board creation power, as potentially gaining 4x of these, with 2 more added to your hand is a powerful turn and difficult to AoE down in response.

1 Like

Now, for sure. Spellstone is a better choice for a Zul’jin deck, but this card will never have to compete with Spellstone, so doing such comparisons is somewhat pointless (assuming we’re talking Standard).

To look at it a bit differently, it’s similar to Starfire. 6 mana 5/5 Rush is similar to deal 5; can’t go face, but can leave behind a body, draw a card (that happens to be also a “Starfire”).

Seeing that Starfire is almost never played, I guess the only selling point is, in fact, Zul’jin synergy. If it works out, then it might be playable. If Zul’jin synergy is irrelevant, this is an arena card.

1 Like

It wouldn’t add another to your hand, one of the spells it casts would be the second twinspell version, right?

Also Beast synergy (unless it’s a Dragon or untyped), which can be quite potent for Hunters.

1 Like

Beast synergy is futile if it comes this late, and in such weak stat line.

It’s not useless if it helps buff a Hyena while taking out a Taunt.

That’s not how you use Hyena, optimally. This doesn’t even work with Tundra Rhino.

You’re speaking as if this’d find use in mid-range hunter. It won’t.

1 Like

I can see this card useful in all kinds of decks

For slow decks, it acts as removal

But this may also work for fast decks, as removals do have a place in aggressive decks to clear the way for their other minions.

Being a rush beast also makes it a worthy candidate to work with hyena and dire frenzy. Heck it may even work with revenge of the wild

And of course it works with zul’jin. The thing with zul’jin is that zul’jin is not a bad card even if you aren’t a slow deck, as the battlecry offers a ton of tempo, hopefully giving the hunter the push he needs to win the game.

1 Like

This’ll see play in Zuljin hunter maybe some other archetypes. In a class with better draw, it’d be very meh, but the premium on cards for most hunter decks means that a beast that replaces itself is probably good enough to make the cut. At 6 it can also be a somewhat effective dire frenzy target as well.