New Druid Legendary Minion - Keeper Staladris

2 Mana 2/3

After you cast a Choose One Spell, add copies of both choices to your hand.

This looks like it could be really good, depending on what “choose one” spells Druid gets from this expac. Might not be enough to launch Druid back into Tier 1/2 status, but it’s definitely better than most of the Legendaries that the class has gotten in the past year.

4 Likes

That kinda looks like Fandral 2.0.

4 Likes

How does this work with more-than-two-choices cards?

1 Like

Is this working only for future Choose One spells?
I can’t imagine how this is working for already existing Choose One spells.
I think Keeper Stalladris is restricting design space for future Choose One spells.
From now on you have to design them with Stalladris in mind not be able to abuse them or unleash an OP combo.

Spells only, so no interaction with Loti, and I expect that it will have the same interaction as Fandral for cards like Branching Paths (ie. none). But for “Choose One” spells with more than two choices it should technically give you a copy of each choice.

But I can’t think of a spell with Choose One and more than two options.

4 Likes

It only works for spells, so minions (and the rotating DK, coincidentally) don’t work with it. Definitely helps with some things that might have been problematic, but it also restricts what the card has to work with.

This card looks very intriguing! Good thing that Branching Paths is rotating out! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think there’s going to be at least one new Choose One Spell coming in this expansion. If not, I can’t really see this one seeing play.

Umm, I’m curious about the cost of the options now. Because those “Choose one” cards that appear when you make the choice are all 0 mana… That would effectively “double your one choice and cast both”, but I wager that they’ll keep the original spell’s cost.

Okay, I watched the actual reveal video, and the spells obviously keep the original’s cost, otherwise it would likely enable stupidly OP plays like having a 0 mana deal 5 damage from Starfall. I guess the 0-cost appearing on choices is a spaghetti-workaround to not deduct additional mana for choosing. So it’s for value plays.

Seems promising - has vanilla stats and great value effect.

Edit: The gameplay video shows that both options have the same cost as original spell.

seems amazing… in wild. (roots, idol, jades, etc)

in standard it’s a bit limited so far, mostly for token druid, but i’m guessing more choose one spells will be introduced, both in this expansion, as well in the whole rotation in the future as well.

Not a flashy card but this card will probably be used in many Druid decks as getting copies of certain Choose One cards can add a lot of power. Need to see though what Druid looks like minus UI and the armor gain so really, really hard to see what Druid will look like in Standard but this card has a lot of potential.

For Wild this card will find a home in Jade Druid for sure and probably in any additional archetypes for Druid. This might be the strongest legendary for Wild shown so far.

2 Likes

I give this card a resounding “Meh”.

Problem 1: This is a soft taunt that will die instantly when the opponent takes their turn. 3 HP is tissue paper, so the only benefits he will ever give will be in whatever Choose One cards you drop on the same turn as Staldris hits the board.

Problem 2: The Choose One options Druids have in standard are weak and limited. Seriously - what Choose One spells do Druids even have now? Mark of Nature - trash. Mark of the Loa - trash. Starfall - expensive trash. The only decent options in the roster are Wrath and Power of the Wild. So unless this set gives Druids some massively awesome Choose One spells then Staladris isn’t even meme-worthy.

This isn’t giving me any reason to think Druids will get anything to help them much after Year of the Mammoth rotates. This is another Wardruid Loti … kind of half OK at first glance, but not very good when you think about it. This card really needs to be Untargetable.

fandral 2.0. Good card though,in some ways its better then fandral I think maybe even much better in some situations. Will go in every druid deck for sure and its a 2 drop to boost. 2 drops are always welcome. Its maybe good enough to run with just wrath alone. The spell limitation is a bit downside,but one more chose spell and this card is great. Handsize might be an issue.

You kinda forgot about Nourish. It’s playable in the right decks even at 6 mana. Granted if you play both Staladris and Nourish in the same turn without boosting them out with the Coin or Innervate, the “Gain 2 Mana” spell is likely not going to do much, but you’ll still get an additional Draw 3 spell for future reloading.

4 Likes

With a card like this, the question is less “What’s in RoS to support it?” than “What’s coming in the next two years to support it?”

I seldom play Druid so I can take or leave it (I never even crafted Fandrel, though I do still think about it from time to time). I think it has some potential to be meta-influencing by this time next year, though.

2 Likes

No … I only wanted to forget about Nourish. :wink:

At 6 mana, it’s just too expensive these days to be used for anything but card draw. And as an 8 mana combo with Staladris? This would be very Very VERY late-game stuff. I don’t see the Druid deck in the next meta where holding on to a Staladris to cast on turn 8 for a double-Nourish payout would be any good. Could a Druid do it? Sure. Why would they? Not with the cards we’ve seen so far.

As it stands, the top Druid deck heading into this new meta is going to be Treant Token. That deck is going to benefit much more directly from dropping a Staladris on 4 with a PotW.

If the Expansion does something for “Big Hand Druid” then maybe a Staladris/Nourish would be OK. Dumping Staladris, Nourishing for 3 cards and getting 2 more Nourish cards to boot would certainly fill up a hand all at once. Now what does a Druid do with it though?

Yeah, maybe he’ll be a card that becomes better as YotD progresses. He’s got 2 years to become better. Maybe he’ll be a dud with YotR & Classic … but maybe YotD and Yot? will help him shine. There is potential in there.

At the very worst he is a 2/3 draw 2 for 2 mana… Which is enough for him to be inserted in all druid decks that run something like wrath+potw.

Yes - a Staladris / PotW / Wrath package may very well become the new Druid Ultimate Infestation. His ability to load up a Druid’s hand would take some of the sting out of Druids losing so much of their draw when UI & Branching Paths rotate.

1 Like

cheap enough to run in token… with living roots, wrathm, and PoW