Nerf Scavenging Hyena

In my opinion this card is currently way 2 op. For example combined with spring paw. It gains 2 atk and 1 health for each friendly beast die, and I think that +2 atk is a littlebit too much. Like I do not say that it should be nerfed hard, but I think that like +1/1 would be very reasonable.

13 Likes

The problem with this card is not the card itself, but the insane synergy it has with :

• Springpaw, obviously.
  • Rhino who gives charge to every beast you summon.
  • Unleash the hounds.

It’s this synergy that needs to be looked at.

4 Likes

First of all, I appreciate how your request for a nerf was short and to the point.
“Too strong, here’s an example of a strong synergy” instead of “SCAVENGING HYENA + SPRINGPAW GETS THEM A 82/42 ON TURN 4 ASDASFSGFsad NERF HUNTER” as some others have worded.
(All data taken from Hsreplay fyi)
Hyena + springpaw is a strong synergy, but I’d like to point out that Hyena didn’t see much play in both YoTR and YoTM before that. The deck archetype it is in (midrange hunter) is as popular as it is cheap, but Midrange Hunter itself only has a 52.75% global winrate (as of typing.) It’s not game breaking, in my opinion.

If anything, it could be “Gain +1/+2 for every beast that dies…”

3 Likes

And you’re entitled to your opinion. Even if it is factually wrong. And yours is.

So, enjoy being wrong.

I’d argue +1/+2 would actually be stronger in terms of snowballing the board early. Especially with Dire Frenzy.

13 Likes

This deck will be weaker after rotation. Control decks can beat this deck with the exception of that one card… DK rexxar.

Once the card rotates, hunter gets a lot weaker.

1 Like

People forget that Scavenging Hyena generally has great synergy with beasts that flood the board (Unleash, Kindly Grandmother, Alley Cat, Spring Paw etc.). Unless this type of cards is specifically avoided (which isn’t) Hyena will always be problematic.

Maybe both Hyena and those cards are fine, but their interaction is broken and spreads across all modes. Moreover, which is more likely to be changed: all the cards that are broken in combination with one specific card, or the specific card?

Is Hyena problematic in wild? No, the best hunter deck is Mech hunter. /Case closed.

4 Likes

Not that I think Hyena is a problematic card, if anything its the supporting cards which enable it that are, but using wild as a benchmark for standard balance isn’t exactly the best method. Many nerfed cards haven’t been even remotely problematic in wild.

/case reopened

5 Likes

Nope. It isn’t. If it was “broken” it should be one of the most powerful decks in the game. And it isn’t. The top three tier 1 decks according to HSReplay are Paladin decks. And the only Hunter deck in that tier is Deathrattle Hunter. Midrange and Secret Hunters, the decks using Scavenging Hyena, are tier 2 decks and there’s quite a few other decks above them in that tier as far as win rates are concerned.

That’s how “broken” it is.

Just because you lose to something, doesn’t mean it’s “broken”.

4 Likes

It’d be completely useless without these synergies, though.

What about Flappy Bird? Requires no synergies, potentially harder to deal with, and only one card required.

See, to buff and protect Hyena, one needs to expend resources.

It’s a game plan, just like any other. Let’s not nerf all game plans, shall we?

4 Likes

Nah it’s a useful classic card, so it’ll be nerfed or rotated eventually.

2 Likes

a 2 mana minion is a gameplay and a win condition all in one, seems fair and balanced

2 Likes

I agree, OP. Nerf this garbage. It’s unfair gimmicky trash like this which is why if I don’t have a silence in my mulligan anymore I lose the game. Pathetic.

2 Likes

Im always in favor of nerfing early snowball cards, just like Mana Wyrm was.

6 Likes

If you are play a greedy control deck that cannot handle an early game threat. You got out match by your opponent. Personally I don’t like long game but I don’t go around saying any cards that is powerful late game should be nerfed.
If my mulligan got bad curve I lose my game. Darm it.

5 Likes

I think the card is to strong and snowballs games too much. for instance midrange hunter vs midrange hunter whoever grabs the hyena first generally wins. 6/4 7/5 8/6 minions by turn 5 combined with a potential windfury or divine shield is too much for the majority of decks.

2 Likes

This isnt true at all.

I mean, you can look at the decks winrates and see it laid out in black and white. Dealing with hyena is hardly a problem.

Dealing with hyena, masters call, tons of cheap generators, and dk rexxar…48% still manage it. And that number can easily go higher, the meta just isnt going to adjust much given how close to rotation we are.

Hyena isn’t the problem. Hyena never has been the issue. I don’t understand people saying Hyena/Rhino need a nerf, when they’re just good now. If they’re good now, that means that something is making them good. Hyena just has some good synergy right now. It’s powerful but not overpowered by any means. Just run hard removal for it.

6 Likes

whats the hard removal you speak of? some priest decks have silence some shaman have hex. I guess im not saying hyena is the problem but its synergy with so many 1 drops and good card draw is.

1 Like