Murlocs in BG,s need a fix

I have recently started playing BG,s and have noticed that if murlocs are available it becomes a race whoever gets murlocs first generally is almost guarantee,d a top 3 spot.

When murlocs are not available I seem to see a lot more variety in the winning table.

Sure there will always be “strong” minions but I feel the pool of murlocs and buff,s they can receive are beyond ridiculous even more so combined with poison as a possible buff, I mean how do y ou kill a Murk-Eye with 68/70 and poisonous?

I feel there has to be options for poisonous for other minion types or a larger pool of minions to choose from as Murlocs have a tonne of early options.

I feel Warleader should be a Tier 3 minion and the Seer should be tier 4.

Or how do you beat them ?

5 Likes

Warleader and seer are not the problem, the problem is Lookout and Brann. I would either remove Lookout from the game or move Brann to tavern 6

1 Like

Murlocs are not OP, to be honest. They’re about on par with pirates in the early game, then have a pretty weak mid-game, and really rely heavily on the player getting megasaur (AND the right picks from megasaur) by racing to rank 5/6. If you don’t get at least one megasaur, you’re very unlikely to win, or even be in the top 3. Dragons and even Pirates are much more consistent - you don’t have to go “all in” with them as you do with murlocs. I consider demons to be quite weak at the moment, depending on which other races are available.

I play BGs almost exclusively now (only play constructed to do daily quests) at around 6k-7k level, and probably win most often with Dragons/Pirates/mechs. Of course, if you’re facing an army of divine-shielded, poisonous, lightning speed buffed murlocs at end-game and you’re playing anything else, yeah you’re likely to lose, but the other player was fairly lucky to get the right combo.

1 Like

So is there a skill to it or is it a case of “If bob gives you the right minions?”

I am finding that if I try to roll Mech,s - Beasts or a Deathrattle style comp they just get hammered by the usual boring comps of Demons, Dragons, Pirates or Murloc.

Most of the Murloc players I faced did not have the Megasaur for the AOE Buff, But they normally have a golden King Bagurgle which offers SOOO much stats is silly.

Feels to me that there is a meta style and whoever gets offered the most “meta” minions will usually win in BG, or am I being too cynical?

I just feel that some tribes have easy access to others where some others do not.
Although I have not been playing BG,s that long so I could be wrong I just feel that a lot of the meta tribes.

I am generally in the 7500 range (give or take a few hundred) and 95+ percent of the time murlocs are available, it’s a murloc player that wins.

Once someone gets divine shield, poisonous murlocs with some stats it is basically gg. The only things that can compete against it are:

1. Another murloc player that also has divine shield, poisonous murlocs and better rng on what attacks where

2. Dragons, but this is ONLY possible if you have a ghoul, nadina (probably need 2) and big stats on your dragons via kalecgos.

Anything else just gets utterly and hilariously smashed.

Don’t know what the solution to this is, but I am always relieved when I play in a lobby where murlocs aren’t an option. At least then there is room for variety for first place (though it is generally gonna be dragons or someone that high-rolled pirates)

Drib: It’s about playing the odds and knowing when to switch builds instead of having tunnel vision and picking a tribe after the first few turns. I’ll often completely switch build at rank 5 or 6 if I see that I can counter most of the other players, or if too many others are playing a similar build to me. A lot of people lose early because they can’t adjust.

Nightmare: Actually deathrattle mech builds - especially with divine shields - compete pretty well with end-game murlocs, as the murloc weakness is lack of meaningful deathrattles. If you can basically respawn your own board 4-5 times, you’re in a good position against murlocs which tend to have lower health - so yeah, they may get 2 hits in each, but after that they’re often done. Poisonous DS murlocs are a necessary counter to massive demon/dragon (or even some of the pirate builds) bodies, but I’d suggest that deathrattle decks counter, or at least equal them.

“Poisonous DS murlocs are a necessary counter to massive”

Besides that being an untested premise, why aren’t Maexxna or the new card Amalgadon enough, or poison murlocs alone, with George to provide the god-tier murlocs?

low health on murlocs? Brann + 0/3, +1/+1, +2/+2 to all.
The fact that with brann they can discover 2 murlocs means they easier scale with everyone else in end game.
Your only hope is to knock them out mid game with pirates who do stupid damage for a win.

//https://ibb.co/T2mGJ0X

Hmm so what do you do about this?? Seems ridiculous.

Murlocs definitely don’t have low hp in the end game. Even on a run without Brann, it’s not too difficult to get murlocs with 25-30+ health.

About the only way to beat a top tier murloc build is with one of two builds:

1. murlocs of your own (and some favorable rng on your side)
  2. Big dragons and a ghoul and a Nadina (probably 2 of them) and lots of luck with attack order.

Deathrattle mechs are not equal, nor do they counter murlocs. About the only way you beat them with deathrattle mechs is if you really highroll and get extremely lucky with attacks and even then you’re still likely to lose

1 Like

When the every top player even ones in 14k always transition to murlocs in 9-10 games it’s clear they are broken. Seeing dog win using murlocs with Devine Shields and poison with 5-5 stats Clearly an issue. He’s won with 1-1 murlocs before. the poison is the biggest issue bc you can destroy someone’s comp who spent all game building that has 100 plus stats With a 1-1 poison. If ppl are saying they aren’t an issue they are just shills who won’t admit game has issues even if a murlocs slapped Em in the face.

In this thread: People who are salty because there is a single counter to 200/200 “unkillable” bodies. If it’s so “easy” to just always win with murlocs, why don’t you do it and post a video of your back to back wins?

True, but Murlocs where unplayable before lookout was introduced to the game. With todays meta murlocs would be even more useless then Beasts are right now.

Its not so much about “unkillable” bodies its more about how easy it is to get poisonous murlocs and when you do its almost a guarantee 1 for 1 regardless of stats. Theres no skill slapping poisonous on a murlock its just blind luck.

Also if it wasnt so easy to win with Murlocs why is there ALWAYS 2/3 players playing murlocs when they are available for play??

You’re missing the point, people aren’t saying that “they” are always winning with murlocs but that murlocs are always winning.
There is a difference.

If murlocs are available then normally at least 4 people go for them with varying success. Those 4 players combined normally put on enough pressure and can get enough poison + stats to knock others out.

Then it is a race to see which of those hit the god mix of DS+Poison+plants to beat the other murloc players.

2 Likes

The other side of this: murlocs do crap damage. Four players with murloc means the lobby meta is slow enough to actually build murloc.

The fewer people pick murloc the faster the murloc player is eliminated.

Like I said, if it’s so easy - post your stream getting back to back wins with Murlocs…

Literally every match being won by a player with divine shield poison murlocs is proof enough. If you are not seeing it then you are not playing or you are lying. Every murloc able to get poison is the issue, saying rec it is just asinine when the proof is in the gameplay. Literally no reason for you to comment as it’s pretty clear you are a forum troll and not an actual player, buh bye be gone troll.

1 Like

Okay. You are right and we all are wrong. Literally every match is indeed won by a player with divine shield murlocs.
And the videos below that I found by investing two minutes of google time are all made by Nasa, now that they don’t need to make fake moon landings anymore.

1 Like

This is garbage. “Every match” is not being won by murlocs. In fact I just won a match with deathrattle mechs, vs DS+poisonous murlocs. Stop being salty because you lost, and learn from the games.