Mercs is another disaster from team 5

Roguelike? Nope.
Dungeon adventures? Nope.
Grinding for cool variety of items? Nope.
Endgame is just another PVP (and it’s a neutered version of constructed) after spending days of boring grind. I’m just sorely disappointed after all the hype.
I really don’t see how this mode will have any interest in a few weeks from now. Am I wrong?

9 Likes

Imagine calling stuff a disaster when it simply isn’t to your taste :rofl:

5 Likes

For the amount of hype it generated and resources they’ve spent on it, yes it is a disaster

6 Likes

For PVE replay ability, they need to make treasures that provide a unique experience. Maybe a mercenaries adventure is what they need. It should feel like a puzzle with many different solutions so you can play it over and over again. It needs anomalies and rgb + synergy shouldn’t be the main sources of power. Pvp is much better than I thought it would be, but I think us single player mode people would prefer more emphasis on PVE. Bosses with powers that ‘break the rules’, etc.

1 Like

I’m enjoying it immensely, sorry you’re not.

2 Likes

Thats your opinion , not mine , i find it decent and fitting since its only a mode inside a game and not a game itself …

#lyral Imagine crating a thread to discuss a serious problem and the first poster is a little brat dumping on your thread before it even started

lyrla your opinion might be that you love all blizzard games no matter how bad they are, because you blindly love all blizzard stuff. Even if they put poop on a cover and sold it to you for 50 bux you’d without doubt buy it and go on forums to defend it against criticism. We already get why you people are here. But still no one asked for your oppinion but yet here you are :slight_smile: in this thread “Priss” was bringing up a serious problem before you came in like a smug little brat with your opinion for some reason…

But that was not the point of this thread. OP was NOT bringing his oppinion to the table he was mostly stating facts about the condition of the game. which are indeed a disaster. to the broken promises and to all the mobile game adaptation. This game was promoted as a rpg roguelike with many of the feats OP mentioned AND as a huge expansion, not just another game mode. As HS said it was the biggest expansion they ever made. Mercenaries are far from a roguelike and in the end as OP posted IT IS nothing more than a bland grindy mobile game until you get into PvP. i have played mobile games almost identical to mercinaries but with 30000x more content and yes that’s exactly what mercenaries feels like. The bounties are childishly easy/simple, repetitive and short (perfect for a mobile game). it feels like playing the same 5-10 min “adventure/tutorial” over and over…

Still in PvP, this game bleeds the most. The balancing is done to make all starters overly powered, faaaar from any non-starter. While all epics/legendaries are utterly worthless. Even full team synergies are super weak compared to all the starters non-combo, no CD, speed 3-4 abilities, that straight off do twice the damage, 2 legendary characters do with a synergy combo together. so if you intended to play pvp and even spent 1 buck on this game you are a BIG SUCKER. ONLY starters are viable to use in PvP.

It’s been fun for me figuring out how to beat the Heroic bosses, and then more reliably to get more coins. Eventually I can get nearly every legendary, and that progression is fun for me.

Even if this were true, you’d rather starter chars be dogcrap, baseline characters that are easily outclassed? Like so many other games? No thanks.

This won’t be the situation forever though. New mercenaries might as well be better and overpowered when they are released.

2 Likes

what serious problem? and with that tittle what were you expecting to find?

and well you writting stuff like

doesnt exactly help

it tells me not to bother with reading the rest of your post …because thats how you are going to react to anyone who has a different opinion

I admit it is insanely Grindy, and, perhaps there isn’t a lot of depth to it, but there’s plenty to build on going forward.
I don’t PVP in it at all, but I have enjoyed working through the content, building my teams to take on Winterspring and now BRM, its going to take ages to get my men up to fully kitted out status because I’m free to play, but I can still get everything if I would rather invest time.

I would like to see some kind of end game as you say, but lets see what they put in down the road, the heroics could do with being more rewarding perhaps.

I would give it 7/10 on the low end of 7, for me, far from a disaster.

1 Like

some one spent 1 year to max out character in ragnarok online
while
there is someone spent 5 days to max out character at level 99.

get the difference ?
casual or unaware player might find it slow despite it’s already fast enough because they are not aware of the game condition.

they are mostly unaware you can do the game 70 times faster by doing certain strat in game. [i am using that online game as example here]
[it’s not a bug / glitch or exp multiplier, just kill monster normally]

the same applies to bunch of people who quick to judge mercenaries without discovering stuff in game.

MMORPG demand you to kill 10.000 sand worm to level up once, and by far mercenaries is very very very casual for me.

let’s say, 200 sand worm kill equivalent to unlock new stuff to play with in mercenaries.
i didn’t even grind properly and enjoy my time with it.

200 kill for a single level up in an mmorpg doesn’t guarantee new content by the way since you probably gonna stay at same farming spot.

but mercenaries give new content to play with.

#jonius
But that doesn’t mean you have to pick one or the other! RPGs are supposed to have progression, thats not progression if you already start off with the strongest characters and have to work your way toward rarer, harder to get, legendary mercs/coins, that are very much utterly useless if you already have op starters. Why not just balance the characters so no single character is overpowered in pvp…

The first day of pvp i barely saw, samuro, xyrella, etc. What i saw was well balanced pvp with different synergies and fun teams with variation. That disapeared completely on day 2, because “more” people started using these few op mercs and nothing stands a chance against them even closely. Any merc that hits with his own attack is completely worthless as long as there is xyrella. they could’ve easily just made her combo-based with a small nerf. Same with samuro and other op starters. game doesn’t need to be a mess but blizz chose this

You cant force players not to adapt here. Because they have no choice if all they’re facing is the same few mercs that can beat anything, it doesn’t matter what critical damage does. If you haven’t played pvp, you probably don’t know what im talking about but if you’ve played a few pvp matches you would’ve seen the countless legions of copypasta teams. That players most likely just copied from any streamer or site that told them who was the most overpowered units…

Blizzard could quickly and easily fix these issues on day one by nerfing the few 3-5 overpowered characters. They could’ve fixed them even before day one and before releasing mercs since beta testers already knew about these characters. Funny thing is even streamers as kripp told people about this “unbalance” he told people what mercs to use in pvp because he and other streamers like him got to play the beta long before everyone else. This is not rocket science. It’s not a coincedence that the only useable characters are the starters. Im not talking about balancing a game perfectly, because there is no such thing as a perfectly balanced game, but this is not not the case here.

All games does this, they have to tweak and balance some things, since some things are clearly ruining the fun of the game. Because i dont find it fun that i only get to play with the starters that i dont even know who the f they are in the blizz universe. Eventhough there are lots of characters that i rather play i am forced to play the few ugly, boring, starters.(in pvp)

Generally, i’d say anyone who begin playing with the starters and goes through lvl25 with starters as your first bunch of mercs. 99% of you are someone who didn’t spend money on the game. am i right? who would choose to play starters if you got the choice to play with illidan, ragnaros etc. blizzard sells their expensive card packs etc lich king skins just so they can make them worthless??.. Most mobile games keep things unbalanced so you have to pay to be anywhere. But that doesn’t mean you have to pick on or the other. I enjoy lots of games that aren’t such a mess like this. lots of roguelikes, lots of different genres, etc games that aren’t derangedly unbalanced. lots and lots

#boreas did you even read anything? you’re a troll alright.

#littlesky
That doesn’t mean there aren’t games that aren’t more grindy. The point of calling mercenaries grindy is that you do the same repetitive thing over and over. Not that wow is less grindy than mercs. But thats what the whole gameplay feels like when progressing, lvling up characters, doing quests, beating bosses, especially doing pvp. The bounties are almost exactly the same and often using the same strats and tactics to win with such little variation you can barely tell them apart, especially by looking at the map. And that’s it, there is nothing more than repetitive bounties and the broken pvp to do in the game. I found even more variation/stuff to do in dungeons/witchwood than this… hearthstone biggest expansion…

AND. It’s a roguelike/rpg. You shouldn’t even start to compare different genres with eachother like that. I think everyone can agree that any mmo should be more grindy than a game like mercenaries. ALWAYS!! mmos are pure timekillers. 1 of the reasons people play roguelikes instead of mmo maybe. Different genres has different gameplay. Grind doesn’t even exist in many games. therefore having a grindy tasteless roguelike with only 5 mercs working out of 40ish? Thats NOT succesful for it’s genre. While wow is supposed to be grindy it would have been pretty silly if you lvled up to max lvl in wow in 10 min or farmed 20mil gold in 15min. yeah i think you can figure out on your own why that wouldn’t work very well :slight_smile:

I did the Barrens area or whatever I didnt like it at all and me being f2p my time is better spent in constructed or arena I was really let down with mercenaries I wanted to like it so maybe when it gets more polished and not so pay to win ill give it another go but until then Mercs just isnt that great

1 Like

Did you read the first few words an ignore the rest? I said I quite liked it.
I didn’t compare to something else, I’m certain you are right and many games require significantly more time, but you cannot deny that by definition doing the same thing over and over again for development is “grindy”, perhaps I should have used the word repetitive.

Perhaps I misunderstand your intensions here. I will say however that I played 3 years of meridian 59, 10 years of Everquest followed by 12 years of WoW, I promise I understand mmo progression and repetitiveness, If you deem me a casual, I take zero offence.

i was talking about 3rd party with you.
you taking the wrong perspective here.

yeah kind of, i was starting a conversation on something.
glad that sorted out without having me to explain.

The idea for the game started from a conversation with me and management and their response missed the mark. The game was spirited forward because it came from the top management and not game creators. Its snowballed into a bad concept but with its momentum could not be corrected or stopped.
The results are going to hurt BLZ but thats not going to stop them pouring money into the mode to recoup loss ground.
They should have brought me in to define the original concept. There is still a chance to save the game if they talk to me.

I never have understood why fanboys (and girls) are so quick to defend poor designs when many complaints provide important feedback and push for improvements to make the game better.

From year one of Hearthstone, I have been around as player who makes makes complaints and suggestions, I have had many fanboys tell me how unnecessary or pointless my suggestions are, such as the following (all of which happened, btw):

1. The Ladder should have more floors above the one that exists at Rank 20 to prevent players from de-ranking and farming new players at the lowest rank and to provide break-points where players can experiment with new decks without being punished losing a bunch of ranks while try out something new.

2. The number of ranks should be expanded to help insulate new players from veteran ones as they learn how to play.

3. A card back is not rewarding enough, there should be an end season prize reward that is based on progress. It could be a chest that is similar to the Arena chest reward.

Complaints are often done by players to drive the game in the direction of making it more fun to play, which benefits everyone, including the fanboys. Fanboys should spend less energy on being bumps in the road to progress. :wink: