MERC: the grind is not worth the reward

I’m running through lvl 30 bounties by the hundreds and getting piddly.

Sometimes I can’t beat the boss, so I basically leave that bounty with nothing.

The tooltips say I’ll be rewarded for picking epic fights along the way… there is no feeling of a reward. It also says that I’ll get coins for members of my group, this is rarely the case, especially if I’m not able to beat the boss.

It seems like there should be incremental coin drops (in small numbers) for clearing trash towards boss.

I’m just trying to get coins to get my plays to max skills to form a PVP team. Any time I join a pvp, even tho I’m lvl 30 with 4,5 lvl skills, I get face stomped cause I don’t have all 7 tasks, all skill/EQ upgrades to get the mega toon.

3 Likes

You’re trying to run before you can crawl.

Yes, you get coins for a member of your group IF you beat the boss.

There is an increase in coin drops for clearing trash towards the boss if you’re forced to concede.

If you want to grind lvl 30 bounties, you need a good PVE team, so you need to grind for that first. Luckily you can grind a good team at lower levels, that you can then use to grind the higher levels.

1 Like

You need to build a grinder before you do anything in this mode, unless you want to pay with your $, i rush these 3 Mercs: Toni (Now i use Alex), Geddon, Rag and maxed them out like ASAP by anymean (By this i mean use what ever mercs i got and grind their coin, not buy ofc), now i can farm what ever i want with ease. Thank to this trio i now have a full collection, i don’t even buy a single pack.

Banehollow Felwood regular has consistently been a 50%+ MS appearance for me. Running a team of all 30s. Fire crew upfront dragging along 3 who need tasks behind them. I’ve also grouped my back-up crews so they are liekly to have similar tasks for be able to help each other with tasks and I keep them around the same task level. No sense completing 4 Heroic Bounties three times when you only have to do it once and get credit for three Mercs.

I only have Geddon so far because I don’t want to pay with my $. So either you got lucky up front or you have been paying. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :wink:

Anton (Ursula Windfury), Geddon (Yeti Hunter Ranel) and Rags (Avalanchan) are reasonably easy to farm coins for if you have a decent team that can handle Winterspring. And the free basic setup of Cariel, Samuro and Xyrella does work for all three bounties.

While I was personally lucky (in terms of acquiring this team) to have my first Legendary be Rags, I did have to farm coins for the other two to craft them.

But from my experience it was worth grinding the two Epics, as the Fire team is by far the fastest solo grind team once they’re powered up to at least rank 3 Fireball (Anton), rank 3 Inferno (Geddon) and rank 3 DIE INSECTS! (Rags) plus preferably rank 2 Blazing Rune (Task 7 equip). Which is a total of 175 coins for each of them on top of the crafting cost.

I go complete F2P with Mercs, didn’t buy a single pack (either with gold or money).

I grind my whole collection, by farming Boss bounties that gave the coins for the Mercs i want, Started with the Free combo Cariel-Samuro-Xyrela, i got Holy coms (Got Anduin & velen from those free packs), Then i Found out about those 1-turn-Fire coms, and goes straight for them.
I don’t play PVP, so i don’t grind for those meta Mercs, instead i go for grinder Mercs first.

If you don’t want to shell out, millhouse (12) + varden (10) + king krush (19-20) can provide you like a really good blitz speed 4-5+ aoe.

I finally got both leveled and both seem really good. Millhouse varden krush don’t need max coins, krush comes from felwood and the comp will 1 turn one shot normal with a 12 damage arcane explosion, 10 damage flurry, and 19-20 attack krush. While fire comp can deal more targeted damage, Millhouse Varden Krush / Mvk doesn’t have to worry about any parts being broken, the 1-2 speed faster is mute, but fire comp can still get jumped sometimes or can break if a member dies, you still have a good time with both.

I have both fire comp and Mvk set up and used mvk to farm the fire and felwood bounties. Krush is a epic yes, but mvk is a setup that’s extremely accessible even on f2p coins and all parts are replaceable. Its a 40-42 first turn aoe comp you can build really well even if the mercs only lvl on f2p coins and then the epic and legendary coins from teleport bounty winning or conceding can get you fire and wean you there.

Mercs in a nutshell is either ‘grind for MS’ + complete quests, or pvp. There is nothing else to it endgame wise, once you have done the ‘story’ that is it. For a Gatcha type game it doesnt have much carrot to go on the stick, and I think that is its main downfall.

I agree, it is simply a grind fest to keep your mind off how expensive the real hearthstone is.
Nevertheless I have almost every merc maxed and it’s a sheit grind but HECK I NEED ACHIEVEMENT POINTS

I might consider this mode worth mess around on a train or waiting somewhere if this were a $0.99 / 0.50 app that had all of the stuff included and didn’t expect you to pay any extra but honestly I found mercenaries kind of a dull none game just designed as another way to milk cash from the playerbase.

not to say i tihnk its “pay 2 win” just that if it didn’t have the pay stuff maybe it could be focused more on fun