Merc coins AFTER having all abilities capped

My PoV: my Blink Fox has all rank 5 abilities and all rank 4 equipment.

Yet the game still gives me coins for him, why exactly?

Are we getting rank 6 abilities / rank 5 equipment soon?

Perhaps you could make portraits available to buy with Merc coins ?

I have spoken

2 Likes

They are still testing a lot of features. Many people have already complained about the amount of leftover coins. Nothing new. The Mercenaries developers are well aware of it.

Just wait for a new update to come.

Yea I only started to notice it the more I finally unlocked the “complete Heroic bounties” tasks and I farm the Barrens for the quick completes

I saw a recent interview with one of the lead Mercenaries devs that brings up the subject:

Basically he said, “We’re thinking about it,” with no further information, and then he redirected to a conversation about people putting words in his mouth. So basically, even though they’ve thought about it, they still don’t know what they’re doing about it. So the information is that there is no information.

2 Likes

They clearly misjudged how fast people would cap abilities/equipment and how much excess coins would build up, especially for specific Mercs when farming certain bounties.

I have more than 75k coins, mostly “rare” but a decent amount of epic and legendary. I’m hoping for something useful to use them for but there should have been something before the mode was launched, it’s a HUGE oversight but I’d guess they had to get the mode out by a certain date no matter what due to other Hearthstone plans.

As for coins for portraits, I don’t find that likely. They’re trying to sell individual portraits as well as packs. Getting them from coins would cost them money.

The very least we should be able to convert to coins for Mercs we already have but who need abilities/equipment leveled.

1 Like

That you get coins for maxed stuff is already bad, but then you buy a pack or two and then ALSO get coins for mercs you already maxed.

Now THAT feels like getting ripped off and is definitely an incentive to NOT buy packs. Which should worry Blizzard.

2 Likes

Which is why they are selling specific Merc coins and Portraits since they know the Packs are basically useless once people have played the game for any decent amount of time.

But they cost money. You can buy merc packs for gold.

2 Likes

OP here

I’m 240 on the reward track, so all my gold these last couple of weeks has gone to Mercs packs and it was only when I finally went over the cap on my Blink Fox… (all T5 abilities and T4 equipment)

That I realized there’s a problem with the system.

I honestly assumed there would be a cap stopper or that the coins would convert to other mercs or … anything else

They only want your money, gold they don’t really care about since you spend no IRL money accumulating it.

Gold still represents time spent playing and with much higher accumulation rates for PvP content than SP content, that time almost certainly translates into some sort of engagement with players who do spend money. What a F2P player offers to Blizzard is a larger pool of opponents for the paying players than if money were required.

Still Merc packs are a bad deal whether you get them with gold or money. The number of Mercs would have to be doubled (or trippled) for packs to be worth buying.

Now if Merc pacs dropped some sort of “Universal Task Token” that allowed you to automatically get a new task for a player selected Merc without having to wait for the daily refresh or hunt for Strangers, they might have some actual value.

2 Likes

At this point I won’t be spending gold on Merc Packs, and I’m not putting any IRL money into Hearthstone. I do have 60~ packs from completing tasks and once new Mercs drop I’ll be opening those packs until I have all the new Mercs, then waiting again.

1 Like

Or some sort of rarity coin (one for rare, epic and legendary), that you can use on a mercenary of the same rarity.
Instead of getting 25 coins for a rare mercenary you already have maxed out, you get 25 rare coins that can be used on any rare mercenary.

I really don’t see them doing a “one-coin-fits-all” for each rarity. The goal of getting people to pull packs is to lower the odds that what you get will be what you really want, so that you have to pull more.

people just be happy that you have so many coins, and you have completed all tasks. And wait what game will offer in future. Not all players have all cards even, and not all are with completed tasks and without coins.

That’s not really a good point to take IMO, because a lot of those coins could be from paying for Packs and the coins are worthless, so why should people be happy to have a lot of something that is worthless that took time or money to get?

1 Like

If you spenst time to get them means you needed them :slight_smile: so good that now you have coins :slight_smile: now you play not for collecting coins, but you use advantages that you have already taken from them. Now you can play PVP freely, or create any team you like to fight in PVE

Not entirely true.
If I spent time and money to get something, then I assume I would get it.
If I buy packs with the plan of getting some epic or legendary coins and I only get rare coins then I wasted my time and money.

1 Like

I’m actually happy they changed the free merx from legendary to epic If all things in ability being equal. 300 coin legendary mercs getting whale starved or grind starved 300 coins to 1000 epics, 4000 rare coins over hundreds of grinding hrs is almost pure downsides. F2p legendaires don’t even feel good underfed.

It’s like opening a golden ticket to a buffet that only lets you eat a third slower and get food slower than the flashy epic half you can eat and blue all you can eat ticket for 5x the price.