Make Druid Great Again :)

I will make things short. It’s one of my favourite archetypes (ramping etc.). Currently in Standard you have 2 options: play Token (really strong) or Heal (really crap). Token is part of classic Druid identity, but for players who love play slower decks it’s like someone spit in your face when you must play that. So…

After heavy brainstorm I created this. Behold my beloved child: Big Beast Ramp Druid. Like old times guys. :slight_smile: Check it out and I appreciate any feedback.

Big Druid

Class: Druid

Format: Standard

Year of the Dragon

2x (1) Biology Project

2x (1) Crystal Power

1x (2) Keeper Stalladris

2x (2) Wrath

2x (3) Ferocious Howl

1x (3) Wild Growth

1x (4) Juicy Psychmelon

2x (4) Predatory Instincts

2x (4) Swipe

2x (5) Crystal Stag

2x (5) Witchwood Grizzly

1x (6) Nourish

2x (6) Stampeding Roar

2x (7) Amani War Bear

2x (7) Ironhide Direhorn

1x (8) Batterhead

1x (9) Alexstrasza

1x (9) Oondasta

1x (10) Deathwing

AAECAZICCF/FBMIG5AiM+wKbigPJnAODoAMLQMQG8vECv/ICj/YCtYYDyoYD/IYD2IwDuZQDu58DAA==

2 Likes

token feels crap too now that every other tier 1,2, and 3 net deck is designed to beat it by default

Feels like you probably want a witching hour or two in there.

1 Like

Pretty cool looking standard deck. I wanted to chime in on something about how you love the ramp mechanic, an play huge minions.

If you enjoy that style, Jungle Giants in wild mode is a lot of fun to play. I built it 2 days ago an it nails that fun feeling of classic druid. If you have the cards for sure try it.

2 Likes

I played with Beast Druid very early in the meta. Couldn’t make it work. It had its moments, but ultimately it was just too inconsistent. It was highly vulnerable to decks like Conjurer Mage, and basically anything that had any decent removal. If you can make it work then more power to you.

1 Like

I didn’t consider that. Great suggestion. I will experiment. Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m familiar with Wild Quest Druid and many options to play it (like Jenkins + Faceless combo), but Standard Druid needs way more atention because it’s crap right now.

That’s why I have Heal Package in there. :slight_smile: Stags kill Giants. :slight_smile: And Mages never expect that (of course they consider double Swipe but this is unlikely).

I played with this build a little and I must say Biology Project is total crap. Idea of Ramp is to be ahead of your opponent not equal in mana even if you have nice late plays. Against Aggro it’s kind of OK, but vs value decks you are screwed.

Deck is really descent, beats Hunters, Warriors etc. Even against Mage it’s OK if you play well. Psychmelon is like old Infestation (draws you 4 tutored cards), it refills your hand and from that point you’ re on top.

Feedback really apreciated and after some experiments this is new look of this deck:

Big Druid

Year of the Dragon

2x (1) Crystal Power

1x (2) Keeper Stalladris

2x (2) Wrath

2x (3) Ferocious Howl

2x (3) Wild Growth

1x (4) Juicy Psychmelon

2x (4) Predatory Instincts

2x (4) Swipe

2x (5) Crystal Stag

2x (5) Witchwood Grizzly

1x (6) Nourish

2x (6) Stampeding Roar

2x (7) Amani War Bear

2x (7) Ironhide Direhorn

2x (8) Batterhead

1x (9) Alexstrasza

1x (9) Oondasta

1x (10) Deathwing

AAECAZICBl/FBMIGjPsCm4oDyZwDDEDEBuQI8vECv/ICtYYDyoYD/IYD2IwDuZQDu58Dg6ADAA==

Smart Mages cast Khadgar, a Giant and Calling all on the same turn. Not a lot Stags can do about that even if you happen to have 2 of them in your hand.

Yes - Biology Project is worse than crap. It is one of the Druid “Help Your Opponent Win” cards that the developers thought was a good idea for some reason. It joins Forest Guide and Avianna Dustloser in the Hall of Failure. Never use any card that helps your opponent before it helps you.

Blizzard really need to rethink that concept. There has to be a reward for the risk, and so far all the “Help Your Opponent First” cards are all risk and no reward for the Druid. Now - if Biology Project gave your opponent TWO crystals while giving the Druid FOUR crystals then that would be an actual risk/reward. You give your opponent a smaller boost they can use first, but then you get the benefit of an even BIGGER boost. Help-Your-Opponent first cards need to have a sufficiently large carrot to make them worth the beating the stick gives you.

And have you found Keeper Stalladris worth the slot? With only Crystals, Wrath, and Nourish it seems like he’d be really inconsistent.

1 Like

Smart Druids play biology project and pull a fatty on the same turn xD

2 Likes

at 4crystals it would give more then even prenerf innervate. 3mana gain.

Riddler, I know you champion Druid at every turn available. So I’m kinda shocked you called Biology Project total garbage basically. It was an incredible useful tool in the Mecha’thun Druid at the time.

Currently any miracle style druid that plans on cycling through their deck would run that card. It’s certainly not as bad as you painted it.

The reason behind this , as any druid main can point out, you’re giving 2 mana crystal for the opponent to use, some decks punish druid “giving them extra” mana before hand, as they generally have normal power level cards for their crystal price, while Druids always been under or need something extra to make it better value for their price.

Why is this the case? you’re spending 1 mana to get 1 extra mana to use right away.

Never treat biology as 2 mana crystal when you use it, cause you spend 1 for 2. so that only 1 extra crystal to use right away, but your opponent get 2 right away to use.

IE : turn 1, you get “2” mana crystal to use, while your opponent get 3 or 4 for their turn 1 or 2. You giving them mana crystal for their class cards plan around on curve while druid is plan around ramp, this is why biology project is really ‘trash’ to use early game, and only matter late in the game when you are already setup.

For Example this is my Ramp Druid

Ramp Druid

Year of the Dragon

2x (0) Innervate

1x (1) Biology Project

2x (2) Wrath

2x (3) Ferocious Howl

2x (3) Wild Growth

2x (3) Witching Hour

1x (4) Flobbidinous Floop

2x (4) Juicy Psychmelon

2x (4) Swipe

2x (5) Bewitched Guardian

1x (5) Dollmaster Dorian

2x (5) Witchwood Grizzly

1x (5) Zilliax

2x (7) Dreampetal Florist

2x (8) Mosh’Ogg Enforcer

1x (9) Malygos

1x (9) Ysera

2x (10) Big Bad Archmage

AAECAZICBrQDognC8QKP9gL1/AKggAMMQP4BxAbkCLfuAo3wAvLxAr/yAoz7AuT7AtiJA8SZAwA=

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

having 1 for when you’re ready to trigger what you want is ideal, over just ramp and do nothing.

That’s the only use for Biology Project … as a Mechathun combo enabler. That doesn’t make it any less garbage though. If the only good use for a card is to enable some other card to maybe do something then that’s still pretty lousy. Believe me, if I thought BP was any good then I wouldn’t give it a hard time. But it isn’t good. It’s trash, and so are all the other “Help Your Opponent First” cards.

The guy above us uses atleast 1 copy. How good is one copy in that deck I dunno. I do agree with you about most of the help the opponent type cards always being pretty mediocre. However Biology out of all them did an DOES see play.

It’s kinda Ironic,
No-one understand how Biology project is bad, till they play druid and use it and watch your opponent abuse you with that 2 extra mana while you just try to ramp with it.

Only times Biology project is good.

No cards in the opponent hand. Nearing max crystals, Or Need that extra crystal for a combo.

boomsday overall was just a big fat “Druid is everyone support buddy”, and your opponent make sure out of it before you even get it.

Like Duskfallen Aviana Would be SO good if you can play her and get her to stick, but her affect is used by the opponent 1st, and they’ll kill it 9/10 times.

It would’ve been our Kalecgos basically for all our most pricey cards, but giving your opponent for ur own cost, with cards like Biology project, really limits those cards, Like I don’t wanna dust my druid cards ever, but I can’t ever see why I would use her outside of a brawl or i’m so far ahead I can’t be punished for her.

Heck Dustfallen and Biology project falls nearly under the same rules to a degree “where you can do use it without hindering yourself”

1 copy is barely good, for example you’ll hold on it most the time till it can be used properly and if u were to use “2” this is exactly how you want to use it.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/bJoqPVerzLYXPijaUugzw9

Biology might see some to no play , and if you do use it, you generally hold on it still you can make the most out of it when it wouldn’t matter *turn 11 in the video example.

But you never use it on curve , using it on curve means you willing to throw away so much for 2 extra mana crystal next turn, i might’ve got lucky inthis game, or whatever, but If i replaced biology project with other cards, I might of use that card sooner.