Magnetic needs to Die with a capital D

Why the hell are the gimmicks and the one-offs constantly lauded by this community? It wrecks anything resembling sense. Hearthstone has fallen so very far from its inception, and it’s because of mechanics like this.

I get it. It’s a NEAT mechanic - or would be, if it was done properly. The attacking-the-same-turn-as-minion-played thing is not, uh. properly done. Nothing strips the fun out of a game than the same three or four decks running ladder and nearly Every One of them (e v e r y o n e o f t h e m) revolving around the same thing. Magnetism.

Personally, I think it’s a damn stupid mechanic in general. It’s something that should be reserved for a low-cost legendary - at best - and that’s it. The overabundance is slaughtering any semblance of variety this game has left.

Thanks for killing fun, Blizz.

10 Likes

So did you lose to Mech Hunter or Paladin today? Well keep being salty friend because Magnetic ain’t going away until April 2020.

4 Likes

I do think Magnetism is undercosted as a mechanic. It is more powerful than Charge, and cheaper. It’s only limit is that you need to use mechs - but that’s not much of a limitation in a mech heavy meta. My opinion is that a minion that is created as a result of Magnetism should have summoning sickness the turn it is created. Being able to turn 1/1 bots into 6/6 charge minion seems a bit overtuned.

9 Likes

why just magnetic and not just any card that buffs stats ?

im pretty sure we have way more stat buff cards than magnetic

• because spells like blessing of kings have a hard cap when you are building your deck
  • spells can be countered or punished when used
  • mechs can be discovered/recycled in various ways
  • magnetizing minions is much easier than comboing spells on minions because most common mechs will spawn bombs/deathrattles and the synergy is much stronger in some classes like hunter and dr. boom cards.
1 Like

Sounds like a loser crying about the rules everyone follows. If you don’t like it then beat the players using the cards. Simple as that

I don’t think this is true.

It is certainly a limitation. At the very least, you don’t see decks using Mechs and Dire Frenzy, Master’s Call, Zul’jin. Even if those were not around, Highmane has been the best large sticky minion in the game for a long time, and not being able to use him in a Midrange Hunter deck is a definite minus.

Magnetic is quite a bit less powerful than Charge. Even if you ignore the type restriction, Magnetic requires board presence. In terms of face damage, Charge and Magnetic hit for the same amount if you have a Mech on board (but you may need to risk a 2-for-1 to do that). Charge always gets to hit, without risk of a 2-for-1 from single-target removal (or Spellbreaker).

I don’t think Magnetic is undercosted as a whole (with the potential exception of Zilliax, which I’m on the fence about). It has enabled a deck that sits right around 52% at high levels of play, and doesn’t really seem to be overpowered or polarizing (nothing like last year’s metagame anyway).

Bomb Hunter clearly does a lot better prior to rank 5, but that has always been the case for Midrange Hunter. In this case it’s because many players don’t know how to control the board (which forces awkward plays from the Hunter) or close out a game (which allows swingy come-from-behind plays that should have been avoided).

Yes, this means we see a lot of complaints about it, but “balancing” a game that way seems like a bad idea to me.

1 Like

I think magnetic is totally fine actually. Most or all of the magnetic minions are understated for their cost but their versatility makes up for it.

There are also A LOT of cases where magnetizing is a mistake as it opens you up to all sorts of silence and removal punishes that wreck your card advantage and consequently the game. At least at higher levels of play. At lower ranks it’s probably fine to magnetize and hit face all the time (and I can see how that would frustrate many people), but once you start facing better opponents and decks magnetizing is often a tough decision.

One thing I think though is that magnetizing lifesteal to a huge minion (mainly courtesy of zilliax) should not be possible as it creates ridiculous game swings which are easy to set up.

So does lifesteal or discover or twinspell :smiley:

Nah mate just cards has to be balanced these tags have to be refined. So 1-2 mana cards cannot generate high value cards which otherwise balanced when would be limited to 2/deck.

Poisonous all character damaging magnetic interaction, infinite dmg 0 mana sn1p etc should be not allowed.

I think all stat buff cards are quite strong, arent’ they?

Except the deathrattle fungalmancer that no one touches.

My biggest gripe with magnetic is that there’s only 3 classes with actual decent mech synergy, one of which is barely seen.
Now it’s not hard to deal with magnetic. First, the player needs a minion on board so simply making sure they have no board means they also can’t magnetize. This isn’t always possible, I know, but you can also make smart use of silence/hex/poly in combination with your lifetotal; let them build a big boy and then silence it.
Get out of the tunnelvision that is netdecking and get creative.

So OP is saying he wants it to die, with the “D”? I’ve never killed anyone before with ‘it’ but i’m always down to try.

I said magnetism gives charge and people started arguing that it doesn’t give charge and is like a buff, like a paladin buff. Paladin can only have two blessing of kings :joy:
It is EXACTLY like charge once the magnetic is dropped at a minion, the difference being a play with words. This is NOT OK and the failure to see this well… mech hunter is the top deck in standard and even works decent in wild. Magnetic is overpowered and I can’t believe they KEPT pushing the mechs. GvG called from the past and told me this was an abomination of an attempt at a GvG sequel.

1 Like

The keyword Magnetic was introduced in Boomsday Project. Why did it take an (apparently obviously) mechanic two additional expansions for mech decks to become powerful? It’s almost as if the Magnetic mechanic isn’t really the problem.

1 Like

It wasn’t but now there’s too many good mechs with or without magnetic. Compare magnetic to a paladin buff, they’re limited in numbers. Now you can make an entire deck based on magnetizing a minion and then obviously go for face since your minions have the equivalent of charge.

1 Like

So, again, the problem isn’t the mechanic.

Mechs (magnetic or otherwise) are also limited in numbers. You can only have so many, and unless you play Warrior or Hunter, you can’t randomly generate new ones. Even then, the class that reliably plays a mech-generating card (Warrior) neither needs nor relies on magnetizing mechs for its power swings. Meanwhile, the class that does rely more on Magnetic (Hunter), only runs its mech-generating card in some versions of the deck. That’s not even getting to the fact that buffs can have Echo and Twinspell, which further pushes the number of effective copies you have. Meanwhile, there’s only one Echo mech, and certainly no Twinspell version.

They don’t have “the equivalent of charge.” Magnetizing a mech into another is a buff. If I silence a Charge minion, they stay on board, the stats don’t vanish out of thin air. If I use single-target removal on a Charge minion, only that minion is destroyed. Magnetic buffs an existing minion, it does not give a second minion Charge.

It DOES give charge to the minion magnetized. Silence doesn’t even remove the mech tag speaking of. Nobody playing a charge minion cares what happens to it afterwards or they would run something better to begin with, a mech deck for example since it does the same thing stop lying about the broken mechanic.
The broken mechanic not being magnetize itself but the fact that it gives the equivalent to charge to the dropped minion.

1 Like

It doesn’t. Your willful misrepresentation of how Magnetic works doesn’t change that fact.

Right, nobody ever ran Al’akir for it to stick longer than a turn. And of course, because nobody cares about what happens to it afterwards, Leeroy -> Wagglepick -> Leeroy was never a thing that people used.

Mech decks don’t do the same thing as charge. Hell, before last August they didn’t even have Magnetic as a possibility.

You first.

You’re just wrong.
Hunter is spawning tokens just to abuse this charge thing.
It felt like if it was unintended when I used it the first time. I mean sure you put two things together it’s like a buff. But you’re also allowed to add that damage from the newly dropped minion, just like charge.

2 Likes

The only thing that “feels bad” about the whole magnetic situation is the 2 mana 1/5 on turn 2 the 3 mana 1/5 magnetize taunt and the paladin 1 mana 1/3 magnetize minion.
If not for those 3 I wouldn’t ever feel the need to “complain”. Realistically speaking though I’m only bothered by the 2 mana 1/5.

These trade really well most of the time so unless I have decent removal early on it feels terrible to see it knowing that the “upgrade” is coming next turn or the turn after.

Also the “feel bad” part is that the opponent doesn’t have to do anything with it. It’s my job to remove it and trade into it or get a progressively worse situation.
Even if I get it down to a 1/1 he doesn’t have to care just magnetize something onto it and hit face, or trade favorably.
Upgradeable Framebot “feels” like it has one more health than it should.

Then again, just because it feels bad doesn’t mean I think it’s broken.