Loves your money!

Wow, yet another shameless moneygrab from Blizzard on this upcoming expansion. Like seriously, 40 dollars just to be able to play the Duel Mode? Sure you get the packs with it, but why does every cool new thing they add have to be so steeply pay-walled off? 30 bucks for the Battlegrounds pass (which effectively does nothing except let you play the game normally with all the content you should have anyways), 40 for this, and a whopping 80 dollars for the “mega bundle”?? I love how the HS team was just going on about “what could we do to bring back old players” and “what made you stop playing?” and they’re just continually alienating any kind of potential new players with these ridiculous paywalls, it’s like they don’t pay a lick of attention to what veteran players are saying. I’ve been playing this game since Naxx and the adventure expansions were already pushing it, but these new modes and expansions are just insanely out of reach for most players. No other company could get away with this BS except Blizzard and I think it’s time we stop giving in

21 Likes

Vote with your vallet, as they say. The megabundle price is equal to what I spend monthly on food. Even though I could afford it easily, I am not supportring such greed.

15 Likes

Early access is a perk to the bundle. The mode is free in about a month or so

8 Likes

I mean … is almost like they are a bussiness with the goal to make money, shame on them.

And no, is not that i’m ok with them charging for things and the Battlegrounds battle pass sucks … my point is … of course they like money and they are trying to justify their price, whether it is worth it or not, depends on each person but given the fact they are still releasing this kind of pre purchase deals, i’ll say people is happy with what they are paying.

4 Likes

Yeah shame on them, it’s ridiculously overpriced and alienates new players, I think you probably forget how insane that grind is when I assume you’ve been playing for a while. They know exactly what they’re doing with this pre-purchase/early access BS, charging people exorbitant amounts of money just to play the game and use content you should already have. How can you justify 40 dollars for access to a new game mode that doesn’t even give you actual rewards you can use just like Battlegrounds? The HS devs have always been pretty bad at paywalling off vital content to essentially force your wallet, but it’s getting way too steep for anyone who’s not a die-hard fanboy to keep up with. And it’s just even that much more pathetic when they were JUST asking about how they could help the community and bring back their old playerbase only to pull this stuff.

7 Likes

Probably because the mode will be released for free when the next expansion drops in a few weeks.

6 Likes

Like i said … it seems this pre-purchase deals are pretty popular, so i doubt many think they are overpriced.

What do you mean with … you should already have ?

First of all, they aren’t charging for the game mode since it’s going to be free on a few weeks, buying the bundle gives you an early access, so yeah i don’t see it that bad in that regard … buy the bundle, play a bit early, don’t buy the bundle, play a bit late.

Yeah, historically those who are more dedicate ar the ones who will purchase this bundles.

Look, is not that i don’t see your point … but like i said, its a bussiness and their goal is to earn money, personally i do think some of their offerings are way off … some others, are ok, they won’t ever give away for free every content they release, at the end of the day, is a decistion to keep playing or just quit.

Yeah, it’s not a bad thing in my book. They reward the players who financially support them and give them early early access; this is a good way for them to limit the number of people playing instead of just getting slammed across the board with users. That allows them to keep a close eye on bug reports and server scaling metrics for the wide launch.

In no way are people paying $40+ just for this mode; people are buying packs for the standard mode and getting a small time limited reward for doing so. Does it factor in to purchasing decisions? Sure, that’s definitely going to happen. But If you don’t buy preorder bundles, you still get access in a month. At that point things should be more stable and they can better support the full user base at that time. I prefer this as it means that things are less likely to immediately break, which is a common issue in the industry when release launches happen. I mean, look at when WoW initially launched, that was broken as hell due to the overwhelming and unexpected demand.

If you want to complain about the overall bundle price and/or their monetization strategies in general, that’s an entirely valid (and warranted!) criticism. But tying a bleeding edge feature to their existing monetization strategies is a perfectly valid approach in my book. However, I buy the bundles for each expansion anyways, so this is just a set of bonuses to me.

Another valid criticism is that the new mode will use some Wild cards, and yet Wild packs are less useful across all modes, and yet cost full price. I think the pack/bundle prices should be lowered across the board, but especially so for Wild packs.

2 Likes

Lol you can praise their money hungry strategies all you want, but it’s obvious that these kinds of techniques are what’s leading to their continuously declining playerbase. Just because they’re popular does NOT mean they’re not overpriced. Players are paying for it because they’ve been conditioned to have to open their wallets everytime something new is introduced to Hearthstone, and you seem to be a part of that herd.

You shouldn’t be paying to use all of the heroes and cards within Battlegrounds for example. That’s what I mean by you should already have it. So they’ve introduced two new game modes and you have to pay at least 30 dollars to even fully utilize the game modes and actually PLAY it. And you don’t even get gold/dust/packs from these game modes so what’s the point? No new players would ever consider spending that kind of money on a single game mode, but people like you don’t mind of course.

This whole thing just ties into what the devs said about trying to make Hearthstone a better game and bring back older players and lure in new ones, and this is definitely not the way to do that. I’m sick of having to either A.) pay 20-40 dollars to get all the relevant cards for the current expansion or B.) having to grind a mind-numbing amount of quests/arenas to maybe try my luck of getting the cards I want. Sure the meta is at it’s “healthiest” and all, but Blizzard is even greedier than before and you’re being complacent with it by defending them. Sure the >5% of hardcore players will shell out the cash, but it doesn’t seem fair to everyone else. I’ve had so many friends drop this game because of how out of reach new content is, and I don’t blame them.

2 Likes

??
spreading lies already ?

4 Likes

Not lies. As of right now, you pay 40 dollars or you can’t play it. Everyone should be able to play it. Not the few who shell out. Yeah it’ll be “free” in a month, but it shouldn’t have been paywalled to begin with. Lots of people defending the shameless greed from Blizzard on here lmfao

4 Likes

if itll be free then there is no paywall

3 Likes

I believe much of what’s sold in Hearthstone to be overpriced. I don’t see attaching early access to a purchase outrageous, however. This is not unusual for games of even different genres.

I see a lot of players suggesting wild packs be cheaper than standard. This new mode may be a way to partly justify their cost (and obviously promote their sale). Anyone else suspect this?

4 Likes

vote with your wallet doesn’t work. They’re smart enough to know how much to price these things so that just enough people “vote yes” for them to make the maximum profit they can make. For every person complaining about the price on the forums, there are thousands oblivious to the fact that it’s a cash grab. Most people don’t care. It’s sad but true.

3 Likes

one more interesting thing, there is no battle pass up in the big pre-order :grinning: there are only bonuses for Battlegrounds, and 4 passes to the arena were removed

1 Like

They’re not happy with what they are paying for. But they are willing to continue to buy future products. What a cool world we live in.

1 Like

I’ve been playing since Witchwood release, and the game has never been more generous than it is now. I didn’t get a free deck when I started, duplicate protection was for legendaries only, and the “welcome bundle” didn’t guarantee a legendary card.

Is Hearthstone pricey? Sure, CCGs generally are. Could it be more accessible? 100% it could. Is Blizzard “even greedier than before”? I mean, the overall company sure (layoffs, anyone?), but their approach to Hearthstone specifically isn’t.

I get that it’s The Cool Thing These Days to whine about stuff with no regard for facts, but it’s not a great approach if you’re trying to convince other people of your position. Unless all you want is a soapbox from where to rant, of course. If that’s the case, carry on.

3 Likes

Of course. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be profiting that much. My message was aimed at those smart enough to realise it. Not the rest.

I know that, I’m saying that those smart enough to realise it are a very small percent, so voting with your wallet is like voting for a third party. It doesn’t change anything.

that mentality is one of the oldest ones i know “i they like something i dont they are dumb!!”