League of Explorers 2.0 hates duplicate cards

I was so hyped for Uldum. I still am. But what I am NOT hyped for are Brann and Elise. Why? I’ll tell you why. The first league has cards that DEFINED the characters portrayed. The double battlecry for Brann fits him. He is powerful and a leader. Sir Finley? He is adventurous and the battlecry to discover a new hero power shows that. Reno loves money. And Elise is kind of a nerd so she gets the map. Elise and Brann’s new cards do not reflect anything. What I mean by that is where did the battlecries come from? Elise duping and Brann puking a dinosaur out of his dwarven beard. Finley makes sense. The hero power thing. Reno makes sense cuz he got the magic gatling gun thing and he doesn’t like duplicate cards. Finleys’ highlander thing does not make much sense either, but it is acceptable. My prediction is that Murloc Paladin will be revived. And you don’t really need many copies of murlocs in your deck. So it’s ok. But maybe change the highlander thing for the other three non Reno cards? What about they ALL get non highlander conditions? That would be cool. And I would also like to see a mage Reno magic gatling gun weapon in the future :sweat_smile:. Now that would be cool. What about you guys? Highlander is the way to go?

Not until Bomb Warrior stops being relevant, unfortunately.

1 Like

I think Elise is still very much in style.
Elise Starseeker - shuffles a card that shuffles a card that (hopefully) improves your hand quality
Elise Trailblaizer - shuffles a card that adds cards to your hand to (hopefully) improve your hand quality
Elise the Enlightened - immediately adds cards to your hand to improve your hand quality

I do agree that Brann seems out of place. I believe the official lore is that Brann learned to tame dragons on his explorations. But to me it feels like they made that up after the card was designed, because they needed a way to make it fit; rather than a lore idea they had and then had to translate into cardtext terms.

I don’t think they’ll change cards at this time. They’ve been announced, they’ll be released. Change happens (IMO) at the earliest about amonth after release, when they have data on how the new cards play out in practice.

I’m not sure if these cards are strong enough to make hghlander popular. The effects are nice, but not on par with the effects of the old highlander cards (especially Reno and Kazakus; also Krul and pre-nerf Raza). I think there will be a few decks, but I don’t expect them to take over the meta the way highlander did in the Reno Jackson years.
In Wild, I expect them to be auto includes for those already using highlander decks. If you already have a Reno or Kazakus deck, then there’s zero reason not to add these cards.

Just a nitpick:
It’s a “devilsaur”, dragons are quite different - and not tameable in WC lore, they’re not beasts.

And yes, Bomb Warrior will try to drown them in explosive duplicates. Maybe their big time will come in April 2020.

1 year Hearthstone player here. What is a ‘highlander’ or ‘highlander deck’?

No duplicate of any card in the deck… Singleton decks…

1 Like

Interesting! Thank you. I wonder the correlation of that…

This game is getting F* up with every year. I give it 2-3 more years before fatigue day ! You are so drain out of ideas ,you’re making bulls* after bulls*. Good riddance !

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder:

Darn, has it already been >30 Years?

1 Like

Sorry, I mis-quoted. He learned to tame “massive dinosaurs”, not dragons.

Source: https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Dinotamer_Brann#Lore

As Cleng explained, a “highlander” deck means that there are no duplicate cards.
They were often used when cards such as Reno Jackson (https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Reno_Jackson) and Kazakus (https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Kazakus) were still in standard. Those cards, plus a few others, have a battlecry that only triggers when you have no duplicate cards in your remaining, undrawn deck when you play the card.
Making a deck with no duplicates at all makes it much easier to meet that criterium than starting with a “normal” deck and hoping that you have drawn at least one copy of each duplicate card by the time you want to play Reno or Kazakus. But even starting with such a deck is not a guarantee, as there are lots of cards that shuffle cards into a deck. Two of those, or one of a card you already had, and you have a duplicate in your undrawn deck. :wink:

The name “highlander” is a nod to the famous movie (and later spinoff TV series) “Highlander”, and its infamous quote “There can be only one”.
See https://highlander.fandom.com/wiki/There_can_be_only_one for more background.

1 Like

ok makes sense with elise.

Ahhhh! Big cheers. Thanks for all that!

Hearthstone: 2.0 should have the original art cards and your previous collection is available.

No problem - my Gnome rogue still has vivid nightmares from back in 2005, when she got squashed repeatedly by King Krush in Un’goro. Much later a quest line was installed there with a hapless Stormwind knight trying to fight against “dragons” and rescuing a not-so-much damsel in distress, Don Quichote-style:

P.S. In the trivia part of your link I found this nugget about Dinotamer Bran’s creation:

This was followed by the idea of summoning King Krush, but as the developers were worried about the power of the Charge effect, they instead started experimenting with having Brann summon two 5/5 devilsaurs with Rush. This design got so far into the process that the two devilsaurs even had their own names: Duke and Duchess. In the end, however, the team gravitated back toward the King Krush version since it felt much more satisfying and because they wanted a splashy and extreme effect for Brann’s Battlecry.

Awwww - now I really want to see Duke & Duchess in a later release.

Pretty Please, Team 5?